Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default preview of mobile variant requires scrolling [side to side]

When previewing on desktop, i believe the way to preview the way it will look on a mobile phone is to make the window smaller,
    However, when made as narrow as possible, to replicate a cellphone, the preview requires [side to side] scrolling.
    Google does not like required scrolling on mobile devices.
    Is this an error in xara's preview, or do i have something set wrong, or ?
    [using Flare template]
    Also, i do not think it is something that i have done, in that when i go to the xara site, and look at a Flare template, the same thing happens, i have to scroll.
    Also the same thing with a couple of other templates. so i think it is just a problem with xara's mobile variant preview? Thanks
    Last edited by leonard55; 11 September 2015 at 10:57 PM.

Default Re: preview of mobile variant requires scrolling [side to side]

Without a url or an attached xar/web file it's hard to say.
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

see attachments, but only if you do not laugh at how little i have accomplished so far.
    anik.xar flare.web

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha h aha ha ha h aha ha ha h aha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha (Sorry just kidding)

The Lensflare banner extends beyond the page on the mobile variant. So this is why the page scrolls.

Make the black rectangle the same width as the page for the variant. It is not much use to have it extent beyond. Or if you must, make it Stretch > Full Width (Stretch/Sticky).

No one will laugh at anyone's efforts here Leonard.

I've only had time to quickly look at your anik.xar file at present. I don't use templates much but the first thing I notice is that you have several objects on the pasteboard layer, 16 in fact, including all the logo's for NBC, WSJ, Fox, CBS etc. These should be on your Mouse-off layer. Ideally you should only have one, possibly two objects on the pasteboard layer.

For a start, try bringing these object onto the Mouse-off layer.

Get back after you've done this

EDIT: Gary and I were cross posting. (Told you no one would laugh!)
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

flare.web
    On this attachment, i inserted a too big abc [to show it is different] onto the mouseoff layer.

Was using the pasteboard layer [which , along with mouseover and mouseoff are new phrases to me] because i needed to edit it to make it taller.
    Then i just put the nbc, etc on that black rectangle, as i wanted them to stay in the black area.
    I am not disagreeing with you in any way. i just figured that if i put something on a different layer, that it would not be forced to stay in the black rectangle, especially when being collapsed to view on a mobile]]

i was not considering the mouse layers, as i did not want them to do anything when moused over. [i realize that is only for the mouseon]

So what 1 or 2 objects should i have on the pasteboard layer?

Perhaps i should reference my current site that i want to revise, WeHelpDoctors.com
    That is the site i designed with Serif's Webplus 8. Took quite some time, and many calls to tech support.
    I never took the time to design their addon mobile site.
    I need to do the items in the turquoise banner as individual items, instead of 1 large image, so they can be responsive.
    Additional hidden pages are listed on the 'hot topics' page.

Reason for the xara template was that it would be easier [i thought] and that it looked nice without me trying to design something.
    When google made their 'responsive' announcement, i started looking for alternatives.
    I thought coffeecup's upcoming "Responsive Site Designer" would be the route to go, so waited for its release. at release i found it was going to take a substantial amount of time to learn. Looked at MotoCMS, but quickly realized i would have to rebuy the software for each website i wanted to create.
    I had considered hiring someone from fiverr or elance/upwork to build my site using css or wordpress, but i did not see any easy way for me to edit later with wysiwyg. Finally thought i had found a route with xara that would not take too long to learn, BUT i was definitely wrong about the learning curve.

So now i am frustrated and trying to figure out what to do. thinking maybe i need to fiverr someone to build it with xara or with code or with wordpress.
    This is getting quite time consuming, and i have accomplished nothing so far.

Hi again Leonard,

So what 1 or 2 objects should i have on the pasteboard layer?
    As you're using a template, leave it untouched. The pasteboard on this template actually has 8 objects but that's by the by. If you are going to add content place it in the Mouse Off layer, that's the main content layer. Also note the page borders, not very clear in this template so I've indicated them in the attached xar/web file.

See the attached.

All software requires a learning curve unfortunately
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Egg

Egg, thanks.
    1. i had previously found the left border, but don't i need to move it further to the left, in order to have my text much closer to the left [and right] margins [so my website does not just have text in the middle, like my site currently has?
    2. Do you think prospects would like my site better with the images aligned like you did? i was think my randomness might get their attention [grin]

Hi Leonard, you appear to want your text content to expand across the maximum width of a visitors browser. There's two issues here:

You can create a website 3000px wide. Great if you have a monitor that has a 3200px wide display, but for someone visiting with 1024 wide monitor, to view your site they'll need to scroll left and right! Not a good idea.

Secondly, even a visitor with a 3200px wide display would find it very difficult to go from the end of one text line to the next due to the very long distances between line endings.

Xara can't do this responsively. If you want this ultra wide webpage you'll need to create several variants to meet your varying width requirements.

I prefer to keep my page size to 1000px max.

Do you think prospects would like my site better with the images aligned like you did? i was think my randomness might get their attention [grin]
    I really can't comment on what prospects would prefer but to me your randomness is just one big dogs dinner (Big Grin)
    Egg