Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Pages jumping to the left

I found the problem causing that to happen on mine. On the mobile variant (which is a 480px mobile) one of my graphic elements was supposed to be 480px wide, but it was actually 480.2px for some unknown reason. After I reduced it to less than 480px, the jumping to the left on the full size page went away.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by jimhanus View Post
    I found the problem causing that to happen on mine. On the mobile variant (which is a 480px mobile) one of my graphic elements was supposed to be 480px wide, but it was actually 480.2px for some unknown reason. After I reduced it to less than 480px, the jumping to the left on the full size page went away.
    Jim
    Perhaps you had sized it to 480 px and then added a border of 0.1 px.
    That said, such a small change ought not have such a drastic effect.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

I have to recant my previous post. The resizing corrected the jump in preview mode, but all pages still do it when refreshed from the server. Will have to keep looking.

I found the problem with my site, and hope I can explain it correctly. The same thing was happening to me, all pages load to the far right on the screen, and then jump to the center. I deleted the mobile variant and the problem disappeared so I knew it had something to do with the mobile version. I started deleting the mobile pages one by one and uploading to test (as it only happened when viewing from the server, not in preview mode). I had one page that was a single coupon, but was on a transparent page, no color (colour?) background. The page was the same color as the pasteboard. When I deleted that page the problem disappeared. I then duplicated a previous page, deleted the unneeded content and pasted the coupon on it. Problem solved. Don't know why it was doing what it did, but I've seen something similar with the pasteboard before. Hope this helps.

Jim

I've done some playing around and (tried to) remove various things, and still have not solved the "jumping" issue. But I became curious about the graphics being exported after Acorn pointed out the file size of some of the exported graphics. So I did a quick test. I created a brand new page (new file), with the default page size of 760 x 1000 (SVGA). I colored the page background cyan, left the pasteboard alone, and placed a single large black circle in the middle of the page. I then exported it. Here is what I saw:
    0.gif - appears to be a single, transparent 1x1 pixel image (1k)
    2.png - a large cyan rectangle, 774 x 1014 pixels (5k)
    4.png - a large black circle (3k)
    4@2x.png - a second copy of the large black circle (6k)

The option was not available to tile the page background making it a 1x1 pixel graphics as Egg mentioned.
    Is this expected behavior? I only ask because Egg mentioned tall, thin filled rectangles as a potential cause for my site's "jumping" problem.

Well, good news, bad news - I finally found where the tall, thin rectangle files were coming from. I had colored the pasteboard, and that apparently created all those rectangle files. I unlocked and deleted the rectangles from the pasteboard on all pages, both variants, and the rectangles were no longer exported. I uploaded a test copy of the site else where on my server, but the pages still jump :-( so the troubleshooting continues....

Default Re: Pages jumping to the left (solved)

Thank you Jim, your information was very helpful. I believe I solved the problem. Out of twenty pages for my site, 19 had a width of 990 pixels with varying heights. The last page was much smaller, with a width of 346 pixels and 300 pixels tall. It was a thank you page that got loaded in an iframe for a contact form on the contact page. I used an iframe to keep the user on the contact page after filling out the contact form so they could still refer to the maps and contact info without navigating back from a separate and mostly empty thank you page. I kept the smaller thank you page in the main design document (.web file) for easy editing with everything together.

So I eliminated that smaller page from the .web file, and ta-da! No more jumping of all the other pages. No idea why, but it would seem that Xara WD 10 Premium was unhappy about pages with great differences in width. I put the thank you page in a separate .web file, uploaded it to a subfolder on the server, and all seems well now.

So maybe this will help anyone else that sees the same jumping problem.

Quote Originally Posted by jimhanus View Post
    I found the problem with my site, and hope I can explain it correctly. The same thing was happening to me, all pages load to the far right on the screen, and then jump to the center. I deleted the mobile variant and the problem disappeared so I knew it had something to do with the mobile version. I started deleting the mobile pages one by one and uploading to test (as it only happened when viewing from the server, not in preview mode). I had one page that was a single coupon, but was on a transparent page, no color (colour?) background. The page was the same color as the pasteboard. When I deleted that page the problem disappeared. I then duplicated a previous page, deleted the unneeded content and pasted the coupon on it. Problem solved. Don't know why it was doing what it did, but I've seen something similar with the pasteboard before. Hope this helps.
    Jim
    Quote Originally Posted by RedBopete View Post
    Thank you Jim, your information was very helpful. I believe I solved the problem. Out of twenty pages for my site, 19 had a width of 990 pixels with varying heights. The last page was much smaller, with a width of 346 pixels and 300 pixels tall. It was a thank you page that got loaded in an iframe for a contact form on the contact page. I used an iframe to keep the user on the contact page after filling out the contact form so they could still refer to the maps and contact info without navigating back from a separate and mostly empty thank you page. I kept the smaller thank you page in the main design document (.web file) for easy editing with everything together.
    So I eliminated that smaller page from the .web file, and ta-da! No more jumping of all the other pages. No idea why, but it would seem that Xara WD 10 Premium was unhappy about pages with great differences in width. I put the thank you page in a separate .web file, uploaded it to a subfolder on the server, and all seems well now.
    So maybe this will help anyone else that sees the same jumping problem.
    Both, thank you for your diligence and reporting back.
    In summary, it would appear that having any difference across pages, background or width, affects the rendering of the page.
    I could accept the width as an obvious one to try and avoid but the colouring aspect is not very clever.
    What neither of you mention is if these are Supersites as well.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Both, thank you for your diligence and reporting back.
    In summary, it would appear that having any difference across pages, background or width, affects the rendering of the page.
    I could accept the width as an obvious one to try and avoid but the colouring aspect is not very clever.
    What neither of you mention is if these are Supersites as well.

Acorn
    My site is not a Supersite.