Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Pages jumping to the left

I just rebuilt a client's With Xara Web Designer 10 Premium, with a mobile variant. I've noticed several pages load to the right of my screen, then "jump left" to the proper position. They've done it many times. Has anyone else seen this kind of behavior?

The site is http://www.islandtitlellc.com if interested.

I wonder if the fact that this site uses SSL for all pages is a factor.

Default Re: Pages jumping to the left

The difference is pages that are deeper than the browser show scroll bars which shifts everything to the left. The only way to get around this is make all pages the same length. Maybe Acorn or Cloud will have a script to prevent this.

I'm not sure what you mean by "deeper". What I am seeing is a shift much more than what I think the scroll bar would cause. I am attaching 2 shots of what I am seeing. The shift happens very quickly, but it definitely noticeable.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	it_page_jump_1.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	21.1 KB 
ID:	110017Click image for larger version. 

Name:	it_page_jump_2.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	22.2 KB 
ID:	110018

Additionally, I usually make all my sites with pages this width, and this is the first time I've seen this behavior. This is also the only site I admin that uses SSL, which is why I wondered if that was a factor.

Quote Originally Posted by RedBopete View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean by "deeper". What I am seeing is a shift much more than what I think the scroll bar would cause. I am attaching 2 shots of what I am seeing. The shift happens very quickly, but it definitely noticeable.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	it_page_jump_1.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	21.1 KB 
ID:	110017Click image for larger version. 

Name:	it_page_jump_2.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	22.2 KB 
ID:	110018

Additionally, I usually make all my sites with pages this width, and this is the first time I've seen this behavior. This is also the only site I admin that uses SSL, which is why I wondered if that was a factor.
    It is down to the fact you are forcing a download of a 5210kB image on every page's initial load.
    The page is unable to render all its pretties until that is finished.

If the image is used on other pages, give it a Name.

Nothing to do with SSL.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

You're right - it (likely) has nothing to do with SSL. The old version of this site also used SSL and the pages did not jump around. I would have suspected a loading delay if I was loading a lot of graphics, but I'm not. In fact, the old version of this site before the makeover used these same graphics and more - I had an elaborate "frame" around the page content, and the pages did not jump around.

I checked my file sizes for the current index page, which seems to jump around the most:

17k header image ( 1000 x 133)
    500k background image ( 1029 x 559)
    18k photo image (280 x 392)

plus a few small bullets, and nav buttons for both variants. You can see from the screenshots it's not an elaborate page (the screenshot shows everything). Maybe the file size is not related to the size in memory as these pages load, but this would mean that pages with three or more graphics of these sizes should be expected to jump around like this. And I have sites with WAAAAY more graphics than this, and there is no jumping, so I am suspecting something else. I just don't know what.

Quote Originally Posted by RedBopete View Post
    You're right - it (likely) has nothing to do with SSL. The old version of this site also used SSL and the pages did not jump around. I would have suspected a loading delay if I was loading a lot of graphics, but I'm not. In fact, the old version of this site before the makeover used these same graphics and more - I had an elaborate "frame" around the page content, and the pages did not jump around.

I checked my file sizes for the current index page, which seems to jump around the most:

17k header image ( 1000 x 133)
    500k background image ( 1029 x 559)
    18k photo image (280 x 392)

plus a few small bullets, and nav buttons for both variants. You can see from the screenshots it's not an elaborate page (the screenshot shows everything). Maybe the file size is not related to the size in memory as these pages load, but this would mean that pages with three or more graphics of these sizes should be expected to jump around like this. And I have sites with WAAAAY more graphics than this, and there is no jumping, so I am suspecting something else. I just don't know what.
    I apologise, Chrome let me down, it is seeing a file with 5,210 kiloBytes not 521k, which is what MS says its size is.

Everything I'm seeing is a delay until the assets are all downloaded as it doesn't happen as slowly when in my local cache. It is a momentary flash after first download so it seems there is some code forcing the display to the right before it all centres.

Make a copy of your design file and delete the Variants from that and publish the main site to a sub folder and see what happens.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

I think it's down to a background image that is tiling to your page background.

It's 8px wide x 2494px high. The tiling then needs to readjust to your 100% width option. If it's a tiling image it could be 1px x 1px.

The image in question is just a very thin, long, white filled rectangle:

http://www.islandtitlellc.com/index_html_files/1095.png
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    I think it's down to a background image that is tiling to your page background.

It's 8px wide x 2494px high. The tiling then needs to readjust to your 100% width option. If it's a tiling image it could be 1px x 1px.

The image in question is just a very thin, long, white filled rectangle:

http://www.islandtitlellc.com/index_html_files/1095.png
    Egg, I missed that. I was so taken with the large payload.

I would also trim all the white from the Island Title log.

Acorn

Oh ye gads - you are right! I don't know exactly where those came from - i don't recall putting anything on my background layer, but I found 82 tall thin rectangle image files in my index_html_files folder. I will play around and try to figure out how to remove or resize them. Thank you so much you guys - you are awesome!
    Last edited by RedBopete; 12 September 2015 at 08:28 AM.

I've had the same problem with several of my sites, but not others. Haven't been able to find the offending graphics (yet).

Jim