Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default "Somewhat" disappointed in Xara

I've upgraded to DP11. Back when I was using DP10, I submitted a ticket to Xara pointing out what I considered a bug. It's still a bug in DP11. Here's how it went: I currently have a bunch of thumbnails on a page that, when clicked, popup a larger photo. Actually lots and lots of pages. All have drop shadows. I want to use the built in color enhancement functions to make changes to the images in order to improve them, but I can't. If the thumbnail has a drop shadow, any enhancements to the thumbnails will change the thumbnail, but are not reflected in the popup image. Even if I remove the shadow, make changes, and re-shadow, the change only affects the thumbnail and isn't reflected in the popped up image. Not sure why it wasn't corrected, but I sure could use it.
    EDIT: To clarify; if the thumbnail does not have a drop shadow, changes to it are reflected in the popped up image. So, you can sharpen, change color, etc. and the popped up image will show those changes. But add a shadow and only the original image pops up, not the modified one.

Jim
    Last edited by jimhanus; 09 September 2015 at 12:58 AM.

Default Re: "Somewhat" disappointed in Xara

Hi Jim,

This was reported to us 6 months ago by yourself but hasn't been reported to us since then from anyone else. While the bug still exists and is still on our developers list to fix it hasn't gained momentum or priority over the other problems we're fixing.

I'll add your forum post to the report but can't guarantee a timely response unfortunately, all our developers are very busy and must allocate their time wisely.

Apologies for the inconvenience.

Rob,
    Thank you for the response. I only mentioned it again out of frustration. The website I just finished was an older one that I added a mobile variant to. It has 11 pages, 8 of which have a dozen thumbnails on them of women's dresses. You know how women like bright colors and shiny things When adding the variant I wanted to tweak the colors etc. of the dresses, and unfortunately all the thumbnails had drop shadows. I ended up removing all the shadows and adding a thin border instead. Keep me in mind the next go-around!

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by jimhanus View Post
    Rob,
    You know how women like bright colors and shiny things
    haha that's where I've been going wrong all these years!

Jim, if your thumbnails are the same size with regular spacing, you could go old-school and add the drop shadows by using some black rectangles with some feathering and opacity and position them on a layer behind the thumbnails and displaced to show the shadow.

It's how we used to do these things.

Paul