Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 4 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Default Re: Autumn Scene...not.

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
    I think you took a walk in the woods, re-enacting the Blair Witch Project with a torch, and it was just there.
    Ya got me dead to rites, Constable.

-g

Default Re: Autumn Scene...not.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	record player 158-235.mov.jpg 
Views:	250 
Size:	87.9 KB 
ID:	110311

Did anyone actually afix a penny or a quarter to the tone arm to stop skips on your 45s?

I did, because pressings in the USA were so crappy and warped in the 1960s.

My Best,

Gary

Default SpectrumWare

"SpectrumWare".

Practicing my glass off in Maxwell Render. The models are mine, C4D.

And it was a SOB making the jigsaw puzzle floor bump map...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SpectrumWare.jpg 
Views:	252 
Size:	56.9 KB 
ID:	110325  

Default Re: SpectrumWare

Quote Originally Posted by Gare View Post
    "SpectrumWare".

And it was a SOB making the jigsaw puzzle floor bump map...
    Well I suppose it was but you did a beautiful job of it. In fact the whole thing is nice,
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Larry, as long as I have your attention, may I ask if the render is photorealistic enough to be mistaken for a photograph?

TIA,

Gary

Larry, as long as I have your attention, may I ask if the render is photorealistic enough to be mistaken for a photograph?

TIA,

Gary

A great composition Gary but if you don't mind me barging in I find the
    speckling on the supplied image distracts from photo-realism.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    A great composition Gary but if you don't mind me barging in I find the
    speckling on the supplied image distracts from photo-realism.
    Hi Egg, and no I don't mind at all. If you are referring to the noise throughout the picture, it was intentional. Maxwell Render allows you to set a film type and speed. It's virtual camera is photometrically accurate right down to simulating film emulsion.

Name:	glassware.jpg 
Views:	272 
Size:	34.5 KB 
ID:	110331

Does this do anything for you that the other doesn't, in terms of photorealism? I just modeled and rendered it out of modo, and although it does chrome and glass very well, Maxwell Render gives me more latitude and the images are just...well, for me, more visually exciting. The glasses could have been rendered out of RenderMan, or 3D Studio, but I'm afraid there wouldn't be a lot of difference.

This is a Maxwell Render of a guitar I've used many different rendering engines to display:

Name:	Rickenbacker_320_in_Burled_maple.jpg 
Views:	263 
Size:	69.0 KB 
ID:	110333

My Best,

Gary

I just looked at all of rhem on my iPad, I don,t see any speckelong here. Of the last two I prefer glasses.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Hi Egg, and no I don't mind at all. If you are referring to the noise throughout the picture, it was intentional. Maxwell Render allows you to set a film type and speed. It's virtual camera is photometrically accurate right down to simulating film emulsion.

Name:	glassware.jpg 
Views:	272 
Size:	34.5 KB 
ID:	110331

Does this do anything for you that the other doesn't, in terms of photorealism? I just modeled and rendered it out of modo, and although it does chrome and glass very well, Maxwell Render gives me more latitude and the images are just...well, for me, more visually exciting. The glasses could have been rendered out of RenderMan, or 3D Studio, but I'm afraid there wouldn't be a lot of difference.

This is a Maxwell Render of a guitar I've used many different rendering engines to display:

Name:	Rickenbacker_320_in_Burled_maple.jpg 
Views:	263 
Size:	69.0 KB 
ID:	110333

My Best,

Gary
    I much prefer that image Gary
    Far more photo-realistic. As for photo speed & type that's over my head, not being a photographer, but I understand your aim, but on the other hand do viewers understand this medium/rendering either? I just see a speckled image. Not distracting from your work, just my observations. If you want to achieve photo-realism to the average viewer does film type, shutter speed etc mean anything to the uneducated (me) viewer?

On your guitar image I find the field of focus far to severe.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Default Comparisons

Egg and Larry—

I think this discussion has devolved into the taste I have in rendering the models I create, the content of the scene itself, and the rendering engine I use.

Let me play a "Which do you like better?" game here, and then move on, okay? :)

Name:	2_Rickenbackers.jpg 
Views:	241 
Size:	53.2 KB 
ID:	110337

Okay, I'm thinking for the subject of an electric guitar (over 300 individual parts I had to model), that modo's rendering engine is more appropriate, right?

Next comparison: I think without looking very long, you'll note which image is a photo, and which one is my creation. Is there anything you like, such as an improved rendering, or anything you don't like in the rendered image? Is there anything you like or don't like in my photography skills? That was a joke (I hope).

Name:	colorful-bottles.jpg 
Views:	245 
Size:	66.3 KB 
ID:	110338

How about this one? Is the glass glass-like?

Name:	Timeless_2008_finished.jpg 
Views:	270 
Size:	94.0 KB 
ID:	110339

Egg, I know you don't care for my choice of depth of field; in my defense, that was an effect in the Rickenbacker image I was only starting to grasp back in 2008. And I'm still pleased with the composition, enough to include it in this gallery.

As far as the noise you mention, and admitting you're not a photographer, there is grain in any physical photo (except Polaroids, I think). If you bought Kodachrome and used it at a very slow shutter speed (such as 1/30th of a second), you'd probably not see the grain. But in you used the 1970s Fuji color stock, you'd see color inaccuracies and a lot of grain because in the 1970s Fuji color wasn't very good, but inexpensive so if you wanted to slum it, you'd buy Fuji.

I'll work on the amount of film grain I choose in future renders. Although modo adds a little "jittering" to pixel values that neighbor one another, a 1 yo 1 viewing resolution, the effect contributes but is virtually unnoticeable:

Name:	Milk-&-Cookies-copy.jpg 
Views:	245 
Size:	78.3 KB 
ID:	110340

On with the show!

My Best,

Gary