Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 16 of 32 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Default Lava Lamp: An American Classic :)

Quote Originally Posted by gray View Post
    Did that cardboard ship fly? It looks like Flash Gordon's.
    As for clowns, we have enough clowns on the public stage now. More are not needed.
    You are the cornucopia of the creative art world.
    I also post things from my 26 years as a computer artist. I'll look prolific no matter which way you slice it, Graham!

You are too kind, Sir.

Oh, and thanks for adopting TalkGraphics' guidelines...to stay non-political... and only talking about clowns on the public stage, without pointing out any political party or any political candidate.

Like Donald Trump.

I believe that I used trueSpace back in the early 1990s to create the lava lamp.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lava-lamp.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	42.4 KB 
ID:	111670

I think I've used the model several times since.

My Best,

Gary

Default Re: Lava Lamp: An American Classic :)

The lava lamp is quite brilliant ... I have Truespace 7.6 ... Not a clue how to use it. Now there another program that's absolutely not intuitive. Every time I get into it, I turn it off in disgust after 20 minutes fumbling about.

I miss my old lava lamp ... could really relax watching it.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by ss-kalm View Post
    The lava lamp is quite brilliant ... I have Truespace 7.6 ... Not a clue how to use it. Now there another program that's absolutely not intuitive. Every time I get into it, I turn it off in disgust after 20 minutes fumbling about.

I miss my old lava lamp ... could really relax watching it.
    What was odd, Keith, is that the Lava Lamp worked on a very simple principle: wax was suspended in a fluid, a heat source (a very inefficient light bulb) was sent up from the base, and blobs were created, self-illuminated by refraction (I think) and the colour of the wax.

I fought and fought with trueSpace, and never really grokked it, but it was the only affordable modeler that had raytracing for shadows at the time, so I put up with it until I'd saved all my pennies and dimes and bought Cinema 4D.

To make the lava lamp, I exported a profile from Xara as an Illustrator file and swept the profile (it's called lathing, like in pottery) around a hypothetical axis. The cord is another profile swept along a path, and the on/off switch is a simple extrude.

The lava itself is a collection of metaballs; most modelers today offer metaballs...I think Blender does. And then I animated the blobs for a short video.

Name:	LavaLamp-Schem.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	20.6 KB 
ID:	111675

I've attached a Xara file of the profiles I used in case anyone wants to export the paths in Illustrator format and use them in a modeling program. To the best of my knowledge, only Illustrator files are supported in the modeling world...pity.

My Best,

Gary
    Attached Files Attached Files

Keith, in passing, the Lava Lamp was invented back in '63 and is still marketed by Mathmos, Poole, UK, down the road from me.
    Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Default 3 Exciting chairs!

Here's one for Mike; a different view of that rocking chair, plus two other novel ones.

Name:	3-exciting-chairs.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	66.6 KB 
ID:	111679

My Best,

Gary

Default Re: 3 Exciting chairs!

If you don't have a bad back when you sit down, you probably will when you get up!
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by ss-kalm View Post
    If you don't have a bad back when you sit down, you probably will when you get up!
    As was said to me once when I bought a handkerchief for the breast pocket of my (only) suit, "It's for showin', not blowin'."

The chairs are fancy, and architectural delight and absolutely not functional.

You couldn't afford them anyway, Keith: I drive a hard bargain, the currency is usually Friendly's Big Boat Sundaes.

-g
    Last edited by Gare; 05 February 2016 at 02:32 PM. Reason: Editing is my life.

You could sell a few of those chairs. Remind me of the 50's and 60's furniture you would sometimes see.

Quote Originally Posted by gray View Post
    You could sell a few of those chairs. Remind me of the 50's and 60's furniture you would sometimes see.
    mwenz is the carpenter among our little group on tg, Graham, and he's expressed interest in building the rocking chair, making it for his grand-daughter.

I asked him why don't I just send him the file and he can 3D print the chair?

He, in turn, recommended that I do something that I believe is physically impossible.

Go figure.

-g

Default Auto Text

This is a single-gag, manual, low fat joke:

Name:	auto_text.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	57.6 KB 
ID:	111699