Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Painter Classic

I just purchased a Wacom tablet, Intuos2. It came the Painter Classic. The problem is when I try to load extra brushes that came on the cd. I receive a "cobble" error. I click this error 4 times then it loads the brush! I am running WIN 2000. Wacom did not have an answer for this and they did see the error when they tried to load the brushes also. Anyone else having this problem? I have Photoshop 6.1 and I have been using that as the brush strokes are so much better! The brush strokes I have in Painter Classic with the pen are lines not a stroke no matter what brush I pick. Help! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]
    IP

I just purchased a Wacom tablet, Intuos2. It came the Painter Classic. The problem is when I try to load extra brushes that came on the cd. I receive a "cobble" error. I click this error 4 times then it loads the brush! I am running WIN 2000. Wacom did not have an answer for this and they did see the error when they tried to load the brushes also. Anyone else having this problem? I have Photoshop 6.1 and I have been using that as the brush strokes are so much better! The brush strokes I have in Painter Classic with the pen are lines not a stroke no matter what brush I pick. Help! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]
    IP

Hi Linda [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Just a stab in the dark here,can you tell me if there is any diiference in the line problem you are having if you use say pen mode as opposed to mouse mode or vice versa.

Stu.
    IP

There is a difference with the mouse vs the pen. I have tried different settings with the Wacom utils, etc. and the pen, in the stroke, has several lines instead of a brush stroke.
    IP

Linda, since I'm using a Wacom Graphire on Windows 98, these suggestions may not work. Anyway, here they are:

1) Make sure you have the latest driver for your tablet. Check on the Wacom web site.

2) On other versions of Windows, 95/98, you have to copy the brush libraries to your HD and remove the read only property before loading them into Painter, any version including Classic. Give that a try, it may help. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    IP

Linda,

kiwi and Jim made some good suggestions. I'm going to repeat them with a little more detail on the chance that it might help.

Yours may be different, but based on my Wacom Control Panel: Click the Mapping/Speed tab, then check Pen mode (Absolute Mode) to make the tablet work properly.

When everything's working properly, you should have some really nice Brush Variants in Painter Classic. Some are so nice that those of us who have full versions of Painter have kept them to use in Painter 5, 6, and 7 even though the brush technology has advanced with each version.

You mentioned that the pen, in the stroke, has several lines instead of a brush stroke. If you selected the Pens Category's Scratchboard Rake Variant, it's supposed to make a stroke with several lines in it. Thus the name "Rake".

In the Brushes Palette, you'll see two drop down lists below the row of icons. The one on the left is the Brush Category list where you choose, for instance, Pens. The one on the right is the Brush Variant list where you can choose from a list of Pens Brush Variants (or Brush Variants for the other Brush Categories like Pencil, Airbrush, Chalk etc.). One of the Pens' Brush Variants is the Scratchboard Rake. Try using the Scratchboard Tool or Pen and Ink Variants and see if you don't get a single line brush stroke with each of them. They'll look slightly different from each other, as they're supposed to. Try the others, too. There are ten Pens Brush Variants.

To load the extra brushes from the CD:

1. On the CD, open the Painter Classic > Free Libraries & Stuff > Brushes folder.

2. Highlight all of the extra Brush Library files (files with the .BRS extension) and use Ctrl+C to copy them.

3. On your hard drive, open the main Painter Classic folder and use Ctrl+V to paste the Brush Library files.

4. With the Brush Library files still highlighted: In the File menu, choose Properties, uncheck Read Only, check Archive, then click the OK button.

5. Launch Painter Classic and your extra Brush Libraries should load and work properly.

If they still don't work properly, post a message to the following list and newsgroup including your complete system specifications, which Brush Categories and Brush Variants you used, and exactly what happened so people reading your message will have the best chance of helping you find a solution.

Painter list at Topica.com
    http://www.topica.com/lists/painter-list/

Corel Painter Support Newsgroup
    Add Server: cnews.corel.ca
    Subscribe to: corel.graphic_apps.painter

Good luck, [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Jinny Brown

PixelAlley's Section Links: http://www.pixelalley.com/pixelalley...ons-pages.html
    (Painter 5 and 6 tutorials, Painter 7 info, tutorials, PDF downloads, brushes)
    Painter Forum at In Depth Discussions: http://www.critical-depth.com/cgi-bin/idd/
    Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Chinese Proverb
    IP

I did get the brushes to load but the stroke is still wrong. I am using the brush oil paint and my strokes have lines in them instead of a flowing stroke regardless of what I do. I am running the most current drivers for my Wacom tablet. I just click on the brush, oil paint is the default and use the wacom pen. Works great in PhotoShop. Something I am not doing I am sure. I have been referring to the "manual" that came with the program. Not very detailed for sure. Thanks for the help!
    IP

I reinstalled Painter Classic to take a look. The Brush Category's Oil Paint Variant is supposed to have lines in it. Those lines you're seeing are the bristles. If you were using a full version of Painter, you could set the bristles to spread or be close together and make a stroke that doesn't show lines. Unfortunately, Painter Classic is a very limited takeoff on Painter 5 which is a full version, complete with all of the features and setting capability.

If you want a solid stroke, use one of the other Brush Category's Variants.

By the way, I just read on another list today that Wacom is still offering a very good price for people who own a Wacom tablet and currently have Painter Classic, who want to get Painter 7. It's only $174.95 (or something close to that). The normal price for Painter 7 is something like $499. Check the Wacom site to learn more about it.

http://www.wacom.com

Jinny Brown

PixelAlley's Section Links: http://www.pixelalley.com/pixelalley...ons-pages.html
    (Painter 5 and 6 tutorials, Painter 7 info, tutorials, PDF downloads, brushes)
    Painter Forum at In Depth Discussions: http://www.critical-depth.com/cgi-bin/idd/
    Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Chinese Proverb
    IP