Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Art brushes keep disappearing

Is anyone else having this problem? The new art brushes are a nice addition to DP V.11, but when I went to use them after having installed the program, they were no longer there! They had been. I had used them. This was about a week after I had installed the program. I uninstalled DP V.11 and re-installed it and the art brushes were back! They stayed for about a week and then disappeared again. Once again, uninstall/reinstall the software and they were back. They have now disappeared again. I have a Dell 8700 with 24GB RAM and 4 terabytes of hard disk storage so I don't think I have memory or storage space problems. I posted a message on Xara's support site 3 days ago but haven't had any reply yet. Any ideas are appreciated!

Default Re: Art brushes keep disappearing

just to keep things straight in my head, you are running Designer Pro X11, you've installed it on your hard drive and are running it directly without changing any file locations at all, right?

if so, when they "disappear" do you:
    1 - still show on the very top of the window "xara designer pro x11"
    2 - still show this file structure with the brushes listed? (program files>xara>xara designer pro x11>templates>eng>brushes)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	brush location.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	56.1 KB 
ID:	109923

if the brushes are still in the file then download -->THIS <-- from the xara forum by the very generous Rubem Pechansky and my modded Designer Pro X11 xml file that i added the registry entry for Default Brushes -

follow Rubem's link in his first post to his web page and dl the XRE executable that lists both the xml files and banners in the description
    add my modded DPx11 Brushes.xml found -->HERE <-- (unzip the file and copy the actual xml to the folder that has the couple of premade ones by Rubem such that your files look like this - tho your file location itself will be wherever you downloaded the XRE program to.)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	file location brushes xml.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	64.5 KB 
ID:	109922

WITH XARA NOT RUNNING
    simply run XRE.exe and at the start-up screen select "Xara Designer Pro 64-bit X11 BRUSHES.xml"
    the very first line when it starts will be Load Default Brushes and it should be checked
    if it isn't then something is changing the setting on you. xara support can help you troubleshoot further but for now just check the box and hit apply and close the XRE program. restart xara and the brushes should be there

edit: just to clarify my modded Xara Designer Pro 64-bit X11 BRUSHES.xml is the exact same as his original Xara Designer Pro 64-bit X11.xml except for the added Load Default Brushes entry just for your use
    Last edited by mikeymopar; 07 September 2015 at 02:59 AM. Reason: added more info

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Before you start changing .xml files This may be an issue to do with importing brushes from V10 to V11 see PhilM's post here for a very simple fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Thank you mikeymopar and thank you angelize. I'll try angelize suggestion first and if I have no luck with that I'll try yours mikeymopar. Regarding questions 1 and 2, mikeymopar, the answer is yes to both. Also, Xara Support emailed me today so I'll see how their efforts work out. Again, thank you both so much. I truly appreciate the help.

no problem. it still seems to me that the file location and/or file is getting misplaced. i think the gist of the post that angelize alludes to is file location (unless i missed something, i couldn't replicate PhilM's suggestion of a template that was made without the newer brushes mucking things up. i made one with PGDv10 and dragged it over to DPx11. the PGDv10 template loaded and the new X11 brushes all worked. the op's last response was about having files in the wrong location.)

my suggestion doesn't touch the xara software at all. it's a separate, simple and safe way to check and edit the registry entries for people who aren't familiar with editing the registry thus avoiding the dangers of making a mistake in editing the wrong entry accidentally. the link i gave you is still a work in progress but it does check and will edit the Default Brushes entry correctly if need be and will NOT in any way mess anything up on you; it's very safe.

but definitely work with support on this first - good luck and keep us posted as it may help others too

I had this happen when I placed templates from v10 into the templates folder in v11. I think there was a registry change that solved the problem but there is probably also a simpler solution.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    I had this happen when I placed templates from v10 into the templates folder in v11. I think there was a registry change that solved the problem but there is probably also a simpler solution.
    very odd then Gary. i copied over 2 distinctly different templates i previously made in PGDv10 along with a new one just for testing with absolutely no other templates loaded directly to the templates folder of DPx11 and the new brushes still loaded/worked with the 3 PGDv10 templates. maybe the recent update a few days ago for DPx11 corrects this issue as i hadn't tried this prior to the update ??? possibly just making sure DPx11 is up to date could be the solution

No, the problem is still present in the latest update and it's exactly as I described it in the above link. The user has saved a template file from V11 into the V10 program folder and after that V11 loads the V10 template files, including the old brushes.

If you do actually copy V10 templates into the V11 folder that will work fine.

To avoid this problem when saving template files from V11 just make sure they go into the V11 folder...!

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by PhilM View Post
    No, the problem is still present in the latest update and it's exactly as I described it in the above link. The user has saved a template file from V11 into the V10 program folder and after that V11 loads the V10 template files, including the old brushes.

If you do actually copy V10 templates into the V11 folder that will work fine.

To avoid this problem when saving template files from V11 just make sure they go into the V11 folder...!

Phil
    to quote Rik from another thread.... A-HA.

and then also.....wow. who'd a'thunk that the save location for a template could be changed to an older Xara version template folder before saving the new template and then automatically use that other location to pull templates from? which of course is why the new brushes aren't seen cos the templates folder is where they're stored. nice catch Phil for an obscure circumstance

although i would think that since the save as template folder location can be changed at the users discretion, the software should also allow you to load a template from any location then. seems like a catch-22 situation that shouldn't have popped up either way

Thank you all for some very good suggestions. I totally uninstalled versions 10 and 11 today and then reinstalled v. 11. Version 10 no longer exists on my hard drive. So far, I have my brushes. In the past it has taken 4 days to a week for them to disappear so I will see what happens this time. This group is an excellent source for problem solving!