Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Variants off center

I am working on a site and using 3 variants, one full size at 950p, a tablet size at 650p and a mobile size at 450p. The full size site works fine. I am using the new "stretch" features in Web Designer 11. However the mobile and tablet variants load off center, justified left, and the stretchy objects do not reach all the way across. Can someone point out what obvious mistake I am making so I can correct it? Thanks!

Here is my test site:
    www.williammertz.photography/mbay

Default Re: Variants off center

You have something in the footer, an invisible element that is stretching across, see the attached image I have highlighted it in blue. Find that and remove it and you should be fine.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mobile-issues.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	11.1 KB 
ID:	109728

I certainly see what you are showing my but I can not find it in the layout. I will keep looking but it is hard to find something that is invisible.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter-MX View Post
    I certainly see what you are showing my but I can not find it in the layout. I will keep looking but it is hard to find something that is invisible.
    Feel free to upload the project file here and I will take a look at it for you.

Perfect! See what you can find.
    Last edited by Hunter-MX; 29 August 2015 at 11:00 PM.

Attachment 109729

Perfect! See what you can find.
    I've had a look the same way as the live site but that object doesn't appear in the design file, try re-publishing it and seeing if that helps.

First, thank you so much for looking at this for me! Second, even when I preview it at the smaller screen sizes from Xara the problem is there so I don't thing republishing will help. I am going to try carrying elements onto a new site file and see at what point does it go haywire...

Through elimination I found the issue. The text I am going to use for a menu was in line form at the header. When I changed it to a text box, the issue disappeared. Why? I don't know...

Update, in case this happens to anyone else: Any text not placed in a text box caused this problem. Once I moved everything into a contained space, no more issues.
    Last edited by Hunter-MX; 29 August 2015 at 10:58 PM.

Through elimination I found the issue. The text I am going to use for a menu was in line form at the header. When I changed it to a text box, the issue disappeared. Why? I don't know...
    Update, in case this happens to anyone else: Any text not placed in a text box caused this problem. Once I moved everything into a contained space, no more issues.
    Good catch. Without checking your work (sorry, no time), I thing it will be down to how certain browser render small font sizes and how Xara implements text in lines of SPAN tags.

Where the browser is not going as small as is needed, the length of the SPAN grows and breaks the WYSIWYG principle Xara asserts.
    If it is a text box, all the SPAN extend, hit the bounding DIV tag and wrap onto what the SPAN thinks is a new line.
    When it is just placed text, the page is the bounding DIV but, Possibly (my speculation, the SPAn doesn't know it can wrap so it breaks over the edge.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

All that sounds great but later I found I had not solved the issue at all. I took all my elements on the pages that were having the problem and created a new blank page. One by one I would copy and paste them in place on the new page and preview to find exactly when the shift occurred. It happened at some random spot with a random piece of text in a text box. When I tweaked the position it reduced the open area on the right to barely noticeable, but still there technically. A very time consuming process.

So in my opinion, there is something wrong in the software that is causing this effect. Something is being misread or I don't know. I was able to make it "work" to a point, but certainly not in the seamless fashion it should. It is certainly related to the new "stretchy" feature in the latest version. Maybe someone in the company should look at this?