Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Good day,
    I would like to modify a picture to have only a few colors (and be able to pick these colors...). I am fairly new to PSP and attempts to try this at home have failed (using selection and fill...). Any ideas? filters, etc???

Thanks .

Attached is an example of the type of effect I'm going for (only maybe less colors, no outline, etc...) (I hope I can attach the image!)

Cheers,
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	example_colors.gif 
Views:	329 
Size:	19.2 KB 
ID:	3441  
    IP

Good day,
    I would like to modify a picture to have only a few colors (and be able to pick these colors...). I am fairly new to PSP and attempts to try this at home have failed (using selection and fill...). Any ideas? filters, etc???

Thanks .

Attached is an example of the type of effect I'm going for (only maybe less colors, no outline, etc...) (I hope I can attach the image!)

Cheers,
    IP

isn't there a decrease color depth option somewhere?

Sharon P.
    www.fischerpassmoredesign.com
    IP

Wilmington, NC USA and Daejeon, South Korea

A lot would depend on the image you are using....if it is a piece of black and white clipart, you should be able to use the selection tool to select a portion of the image and then use the paint bucket (fill) to color it.

On the image you posted...you can use the eyedropper tool to select a color...say the blue of the shirt....and then paint out the white outlines with the same color. Selecting the darker blue, color, go to Selections, choose modify, then choose expand and put in one (1) pixel. When you fill it, with say, a shade darker than the blue of the shirt, it should completely cover the dark blue.

You can always paint any stray pixels.

Joelle

The sandcastles of our lives are nothing when compared to the tides of our destinies.
    Joelle

The sandcastles of our lives are nothing when compared to the tides of our destinies.
    IP

Thanks!

The first time I tried to do the reduce colors I guess results were not as good as my 2nd attempt. This time I removed all background except fot the person. This yielded a face with about 4-5 colors.

Next I used the color replace tool to 'merge' some of the facial colors so that there were about 2 colors (shadows, highlights, etc...). The color replace tool (and paint) was also very useful in cleaning up edges between colors (where I had a 'gradient' and wanted an even contrast...).

The last step (not done yet) is to modify the entire color scheme to prodce the effect I want (I'm not sure what this effect is yet...).

I'll try to post an example with some more details when I'm finished.

I would like to have an easy/fast way of making a portrait into a 'cartoon' type figure - is there an easier way that what I have described? Filter?

Thanks!
    IP

Here is the result (1/2 hour). Used decrease color to 16, then used the color replacer tool to get that down to 4 (sometime magic wand selection then expand by a few pix...).
    Next I use paint brush to clean some of the edges, etc... this takes the most time...
    Here is the result:

Name:	cartoon_start_3.gif 
Views:	270 
Size:	5.0 KB 
ID:	17942  
    IP

Here is an example of the type of effect I was going for (semi cartoon ... crazy colors...). Also note that some filters make interesting effects when done on low color images (#3))
    #1 - posterize value = 2
    #2 color replace tool (and large brush)
    #3 filter "unplugged effects - scanner correction"

Cheers!

Name:	cartoon_start_3_across.gif 
Views:	268 
Size:	24.0 KB 
ID:	16546  
    IP

Wilmington, NC USA and Daejeon, South Korea

If I were more adept with the touchpad on my laptop, I would try to refine your procedure, but from you described I don't see anyway to take more shortcuts.

The effect is interesting as it is....but the various filters certainly add something to the overall image. I am particullarly fond of #3.

Joelle

Joelle

IP