Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default How to convert HSV Colors to CMYK Process Color to send to a printshop

Hi,

I have a logo I created for a group my kids belong to. I created the logo in xara and used the standard colors that appear when you open a new file. I have the color editor set at HSV Color Model colors.

(see orginal xara file here http://www.paintlessdeco.com/samples...t_showlogo.xar)

I want to send the logo to a printshop to get transfers made to put on t-shirts. The shop requires that "All Colors must be CMYK Process Colors". How do I convert the file to fit their requirements.

When I export the file to .ai, then open it in Illustrator CS2 and click on the green color (used on the globe in the design) in the swatches it says;

Swatch Name: _172207328
    Color Type: Spot Color
    Color Mode: RGB
    R: 0
    G: 188.7
    B: 0
    see illustrator file here (http://www.paintlessdeco.com/samples/diffgiff.ai)

Would it be sufficient enough in illustrator to select in the dropdown boxes the following;
    - Color Type: Process Color
    - Color Mode: CMYK

I'm concerned that by doing that I will alter the colors. I based this on the fact that when when I change the values to process color and cmyk in illustrator and then open the file back up in xara the colors look nothing like the original file.

(see sample after changing to CMYK/Process color http://www.paintlessdeco.com/samples...terchange2.jpg)

The green in the globe is NOT the same look.

Should I be using a special color swatch say from the color galleries? When I originally created this logo it was going to be printed/cut on a vinyl color printer/cutter and it printed just fine as I had it. However, now with the new requirements to make it process color I'm not sure the best way to alter the file.

I use to do t-shirts but haven't in years. I'm only doing this voluntarily for the kids group and I seem to have forgotten everything. I appreciate any feedback.

Would it be better to a swatch from the color gallery? I just want this to look nice for there first picnic for the school year.
    Signed,
    Printchic
    Paintless Deco Impressions

Default Re: How to convert HSV Colors to CMYK Process Color to send to a printshop

Hi Printchic,

What file formats does this company accept? Does this company use PDFs? If so, I would ask the company doing the printing if there is a specific PDF output profile they desire. PDF would be how I supply print files to just about everyone. But, to produce a PDF with the least RGB --> CMYK color shift possible, you need to know what PDF profile they want/expect.

In any case, if you need to supply an AI file, I would recommend exporting as a PDF with the highest Acrobat compatibility your version of Xara product supports. I use X9, so for me that is Acrobat 8. The color mode will be Native, which will then keep your RGB colors you used (which is what the HSV is going to be). Open that PDF in AI.

Then in AI, convert the colors to CMYK, save the file and supply it to them.

Also, all the opacity masks in your file really shouldn't be there. It may make things more difficult if you need to recolor in AI. It took me about 10 minutes to remove them and make the hair resemble the appearance without the opacity masks.

In AI, there is a recolor command which should make this all fairly easy, btw. Just don't know how well it works inside of masks.

Mike

Default Re: How to convert HSV Colors to CMYK Process Color to send to a printshop

Export to PDF and if you have the option PDF/X. All colors are converted to CMYK

Be aware that CMYK colors will not be as bright and saturated as the RGB colors you see on your monitor.

Also, please update your profile and list your specific version of Designer Pro. Thanks for that.

Hi,

Thanks Mike,

I got it to work with the company's help. I tried calling them at first but they were not available so asked here. Really appreciate the help.
    Signed,
    Printchic
    Paintless Deco Impressions

You're welcome.

Mike