I'm done, with the exception of getting approval.

With this simple job, color management wasn't a requirement but at least I could see the actual color used on-screen. Once again, using the CMYK mix I used for the rules behind the categories don't appear the same in XDP. Now, that color would hold to the PDF from XDP, I just wouldn't be able to actually see it properly in XDP. So:

(1) Color Management. It's a must. This color management must be both at the application level and the document in use. I did an ad earlier this year that appeared in most UK newspapers that used the various newspaper's required output profile. I did have to make two versions of the ad due to color shifts with the intention they would appear the same/similar in each publication once printed. Doing this in XDP would have required more faith and trial and error. Something one cannot afford on a quick $200 job.

(2) Scripting. Whether I am doing something in ID or QXP, I rely heavily on scripting for automating long document tasks. With ID, I can always rely on its JavaScript support to do things that I need a plug-in for in QXP due to me using a PC and QXP currently only supporting AppleScript (which is being changed for JavaScript support as well).

(3) While I can do repeating elements in XDP, they are no substitute for Master Pages.

(4) Easily created, maintained and use of text styles. XDP's implementation of text styles is simply not efficient. All properties related to the styles needs to be accessed and editable in what would be termed a Gallery in Xara products.

(5) Running headers/footers.

The above is just for a simple document like the one I just did (it was 12 pages, btw).

The two-page flier I did last week for an automotive supply chain had a mix of gray-scale and color logos in a variety of formats (AI, EPS, PDF, PSD and TIFF). I would have to have converted the AI and EPS files using Illustrator to bring them into XDP. The PSDs I would have needed to open and export out to a flat-format due to how they open in XDP. The TIFFs imported fine into XDP (just checked). The assets are roughly 50 megs for this two-pager.

However, the gray-scale images would have been converted to RGB in XDP and while for this job being printed in full-color, that aspect would not have mattered. What would have mattered is the density of the pixels. I would have need to adjust them in XDP or an image editor to lower the density from the conversion. As these were using profiles for 20% dot gain, and because XDP cannot use those profiles, the ink would have been too saturated in a non color-managed work-flow. Color management was already mentioned...

So I can add:

(1) Updated import (and export) filters are an absolute must for any modern layout application.

(2) Gray-scale support.

From two jobs, roughly a week apart, the above 7 things are what I expect/need to see in a professional layout application. As I think through past work, I can surely add a bunch more if desired.

Mike