Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help Publishing

Default Help Publishing

My website is not publishing properly. I've been told by ipage that my updates are not being sent to the correct folder (the folder where the domain points). What do I need to do to change this?

Default Re: Help Publishing

Heather, you're starting a new thread on a problem you've already posted previously. Starting a new thread doesn't help solve the issue, just splits up the responses
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Are you still using WD6 as shown in your profile?

I don't have this version installed any more. Newer versions have a Sub folder publish option. So if your web host says to publish to the sub folder index_html then you put that information in the box as shown in my screen capture.

If you are still using WD6 and such a box does not exist then I think you have to add the sub folder after FTP Host Address, ftp:mywebhost.com/public_html

I assume this is the advice they gave you in your other post?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	folder.png 
Views:	106 
Size:	31.6 KB 
ID:	109426  

Honestly, I posted again to get a new set of eyes on the issue because I'm incredibly frustrated. I have WD7 and WD10. I'm having trouble publishing with both. I don't know what happened, WD7 worked just fine until I tried publishing my new website with WD10.

Heather, do you still have WD7 installed? If so look at the publish settings in there and duplicate them to WD10.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    Heather, do you still have WD7 installed? If so look at the publish settings in there and duplicate them to WD10.
    I do, the settings were the exact same when I first tried to publish my new site with WD10 and what resulted was my two websites mixing & matching (some stuff from old, some stuff from new on published version). So, then ipage restored an old version of my website in the mean time and told me to send it to a subfolder which resulted in nothing publishing at all in either WD7 or WD10. Neither version will publish changes.

Here is a complete run down of what has happened since Monday. Maybe that will help?

On Monday I attempted to publish my new website file (completely new) in my new WD10. I copied the ftp settings from the old web designer program and attempted to publish the site. What resulted was a mix of my old & new website (photos from both, nav bars from both all mixed up).

So, then I tried publishing my old website with WD7 & it went through as if it published, but nothing changed when I went online (after several tries at publishing). I thought maybe it was my browser (cache/cookies), but after talking with ipage it was showing that way for them as well, so when I was unable to quickly resolve the issue, I had someone with ipage restore an older version of my website, but they restored a version that was too old (dates from May), so all week I've had either a mix & match or old website up. At some point in here they suggested I point it toward a subfolder, which I tried but it didn't help (the files appeared in the subfolder, but nothing published).

Right now, my primary goal is to just get the dates correct on my old website. Once that is done, I can focus on dealing with the new website problem, I just can't continue with old information on my site.

Ok, so now ipage is finally really looking into this now. Maybe its on their end, not WD? They said there is an "intermittent cache issue" that they are looking into.

One other thing I mentioned earlier that may be causing issues is you have 70 odd pages but each one is named the same as the on above, so you have two "home" pages, two "meet" pages, two "services" pages etc. This may well be causing big issues, you can't have two pages with the same name. They look like pages for desktop and mobile versions of your site, but you shouldn't mix the two in this manner. If you rename "home" to "index" both pages get renamed. If you delete the mobile version of "home" it deletes both versions.

I don't know how you've managed to get the two sites merged into one ???
    Egg

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    One other thing I mentioned earlier that may be causing issues is you have 70 odd pages but each one is named the same as the on above, so you have two "home" pages, two "meet" pages, two "services" pages etc. This may well be causing big issues, you can't have two pages with the same name. They look like pages for desktop and mobile versions of your site, but you shouldn't mix the two in this manner. If you rename "home" to "index" both pages get renamed. If you delete the mobile version of "home" it deletes both versions.

I don't know how you've managed to get the two sites merged into one ???

I don't think I saw this mentioned earlier Egg. I don't recall exactly how I did it, but I followed steps from Xara's help section I believe for creating a mobile version of my website. Please don't tell me I need to recreate the entire website.