Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Create a web page that is as wide as the browser window allows

Hey,..I must be missing something really obvious here. I create a "responsive" web page....or so I thought, but the "Main" page is set at 960px width and the "Mobile" variant is set to 480 width...
    What I want is to have the Main page cover the width of everyone's screen based on their browser. What is the magic width size to use as the "Main" doc or is there something else I need to to do to tell it to fit to 100% of the browser's width?

I'm using WDP11.

Thanks!

Default Re: Create a web page that is as wide as the browser window allows

You can create a website as wide as you wish and as many variants as you desire but I'd advise against it. Xara creates variant sites, not responsive sites. With variants it depends on the visitors screen size what variant is displayed. So to serve all sizes from 40 inch to 5 inch screens you'd need a lot of variants to fill all screen sizes.

Beyond that can you imagine reading text that spans a large monitor? I have to reduce my browser window when viewing TalkGraphics as this is a responsive site and fills my 24" monitor. I have to move my head to read a topic on a maximised window!
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Egg,

I do see your point, but I sure hate seeing the grey backgrounds surrounding my Xara Sites. It just seems like an antiquated style. In that I mean, Just about every page I visit these days automatically fills up my screen and I guess I just like that much better.

Maybe I need to look at purchasing a JQuery template (non-Xara) and building it from there rather than Xara this time around. I don't know. I'm just on the fence with this.

Thanks for your insight though.

but I sure hate seeing the grey backgrounds surrounding my Xara Sites
    There's no need to have a blank grey background. You can have an image on the pasteboard, stretchy images, stretchy gradient fills etc
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Hello TD, are the sites you visit truly responsive or is the background stretching across the width of the screen? Which is available with WD11P. So replace your backgrounds with images (can be tiled?) and or nice patterned backgrounds that stretch across. A nice border can sometimes really enhance a site. Also you could use "scale to fit" within a given range if your pages are somewhat square in size. What I know about Xara WD and $.75 will get me a cup of JOE at work. I'm sure someone else will comment.
    Donald

Egg/Donald,

Good feedback! Thanks. Maybe I will add a very subtle background image to the pasteboard.

Quote Originally Posted by Donald33 View Post
    Hello TD, are the sites you visit truly responsive or is the background stretching across the width of the screen? Which is available with WD11P.
    Donald
    Donald,
    Have a look at Xara's home page.
    http://www.xara.com/us/

That's what I'm looking for. See how it fills the full width of your screen? Would you call that Responsive or Stretchy? See how it responds to your screen even when you squeeze it back? I like that.

I did put a background image in the pasteboard,...but I had to have a HUGE file to be able to size it to over 5,000 pixels x 8,000 pixels. I guess it will do although it's still a tad soft (grainy).

td

That image is 1920px x 492px @ 96dpi and is 205 Kbs.

http://xcdn.co/uploaded_files/web/_w...ader-DPX11.jpg

8000 x 5000 px is total overkill

It's Stretchy, top aligned
    Egg

Have a look at Xara's home page. http://www.xara.com/us/

That's what I'm looking for. See how it fills the full width of your screen? Would you call that Responsive or Stretchy? See how it responds to your screen even when you squeeze it back? I like that.

Just in case you weren't aware - that page is not built using Xara software. Xar web design software is essentially WYSIWYG, not responsive. It has adaptive features to switch between designs as the browser width changes.

You can specify an object or a photo to stretch to fit the screen. This can be done vertically or horizontally. A rectangle or a line can also be Stretchy. The header at the top of the page can be Sticky and Stretchy. It can expand to fill the width of the browser. Even if the width of the browser is very, very wide. Photos that are set to stretch should be of sufficient resolution to look right even on very wide or tall screens. ( paraphrasing part of http://xaragroup.magix.net/XDP11/ )

8000 x 5000 px is total overkill

I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by TDolce View Post
    Hey,..I must be missing something really obvious here. I create a "responsive" web page....or so I thought, but the "Main" page is set at 960px width and the "Mobile" variant is set to 480 width...
    What I want is to have the Main page cover the width of everyone's screen based on their browser. What is the magic width size to use as the "Main" doc or is there something else I need to to do to tell it to fit to 100% of the browser's width?
    I'm using WDP11. Thanks!
    TDolce, are you aware of Supersite > Page Transitions > Scale to fit screen?
    Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat