Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default What is the best way to do a blog in 11 premium

Hello, I have found 11 Premium because I am a Serif Webplus X8 user and that doesn't accommodate responsive sites. So, I do need to learn Xara.

What I can't find is a blog module of any sort. How would you recommend having a blog on a Xara site?

Default Re: What is the best way to do a blog in 11 premium

Welcome to TalkGraphics Mark

The only way I know how (there is no Xara native solution), is to use an iframe and link to a blog created on a blog specific site such as Blogger. I am not sure about this. Maybe some of the other members will have a better solution. (Designs Gallery > Page Elements & Widgets > Other Widgets > Embed a Website Widget)

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post

The only way I know how (there is no Xara native solution), is to use an iframe and link to a blog created on a blog specific site such as Blogger. I am not sure about this. Maybe some of the other members will have a better solution. (Designs Gallery > Page Elements & Widgets > Other Widgets > Embed a Website Widget)
    That is a little disappointing. That may be the only thing that Xara doesn't do natively that Webplus does. Can you use Disqus in Xara?

Mark, welcome to TG.

Xara software isn't responsive, it is adaptive. The software designs fixed-size websites, but you can use different site designs that are appropriate for a given browser size ( for example one design for the desktop/tablet, another for a mobile ).

Xara software is WYSIWYG, so as Gary says, the only way to incorporate 'external' system is by using fixed-size HTML placeholders and an iFrame.

That goes for Disqus, or anything else.

The better approach is to link to a blogging site rather than try and incorporate a blog in a Xara page.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post

This is what I do. Very easy.

Example here...
    http://www.seacoastlearningcenter.org/page7.htm

The best part for me is I am done with the blog once it is working in the website as the client can run it through the blog account page.

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
    Mark, welcome to TG.

Xara software isn't responsive, it is adaptive. The software designs fixed-size websites, but you can use different site designs that are appropriate for a given browser size ( for example one design for the desktop/tablet, another for a mobile ).

Xara software is WYSIWYG, so as Gary says, the only way to incorporate 'external' system is by using fixed-size HTML placeholders and an iFrame.

That goes for Disqus, or anything else.

The better approach is to link to a blogging site rather than try and incorporate a blog in a Xara page.

Paul
    Thanks for explaining the difference between responsive and adaptive. Mind you Xara seems to suggest it is responsive. It must be to some extent with the full width objects that will change size with the screen. However, even the adaptive feature is better than Serif. In Serif you can build mobile pages and the user will be automatically sent to the mobile version. The problem is you always have to design and update two pages. It would appear that Xara lets you update the main page and the mobile variant will update automatically.

So if the better approach for blogging is a blogging site which one is best? Would you recommend blogger?

I'm not able to recommend a blog system.

It would appear that Xara lets you update the main page and the mobile variant will update automatically.

It's not as straightforward as that. I am not familiar with the Serif software.

You should give the trial a go and see for yourself how it works.

Xara designs are essentially for fixed sized pages. Even if Xara has some features to have stretch images, it is far away from being truly responsive. It's essentially WYSIWYG. For example Xara sites will not reflow text as a page size changes, but will switch designs according to the browser width.

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
    I'm not able to recommend a blog system.

It would appear that Xara lets you update the main page and the mobile variant will update automatically.

It's not as straightforward as that. I am not familiar with the Serif software.

You should give the trial a go and see for yourself how it works.

Xara designs are essentially for fixed sized pages. Even if Xara has some features to have stretch images, it is far away from being truly responsive. It's essentially WYSIWYG. For example Xara sites will not reflow text as a page size changes, but will switch designs according to the browser width.
    Thanks once again for your swift and useful reply. I have downloaded the trial so I will give it a go. From watching videos etc. It would appear that you add a mobile variant of the same page and then you can click into it to reposition things to fit. Many of the items on the page are consistent between the two variants so if you change some text on one that will also change on the other.

If that is the case, it is better than the Serif solution where the mobile page is a completely separate and non connected page. The reason I am looking is because I am now very used to WYSIWYG web design so moving to wordpress is a little uncomfortable. I am also concerned about all the security issues and the need to update various apps and plug ins with wordpress. The other thing that Xara says it now does that Serif cannot is the basic online editor so you can update bits of text and pictures on any device without the need to open the fully programme. Have you tested this at all?

I also discovered yesterday that there is something called Designer Pro 11 which seems to encompass all the Xara products. Does it make sense to buy one programme to do it all?

The other thing that Xara says it now does that Serif cannot is the basic online editor so you can update bits of text and pictures on any device without the need to open the fully programme. Have you tested this at all?

No.

I also discovered yesterday that there is something called Designer Pro 11 which seems to encompass all the Xara products. Does it make sense to buy one programme to do it all?

Many people make that choice, but it depends on your usage (and budget).