Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default What makes text export/save as a graphic?

Experiencing a recurring problem with my web site but I cannot seem to figure out why it sometimes happens while other times it's not an issue. I have the pages unavailable on the site currently until I can resolve the issue but I attached a copy below.

I've copied the text into Notepad prior to starting the page all over but that hasn't helped. I even have to reformat the text when I copy it back into the new page in DPX10.

There is no difference in the formatting on this page versus the other two pages that seem to be working just fine. I'm just stymied.

Please note what I am experiencing: Attempts to select any of the text results in dragging the entire block; the mailto: link & Nav buttons don't function as they should yet the copyright/footer text can be copied.

Thanks for the assist!

index.xar

Default Re: What makes text export/save as a graphic?

That's a very sick xar file u/f! I don't understand what's going on but all your text columns are being exported as bitmaps. However why this is I can't figure. Normally if you select a text block & group it it's exported as a bitmap, but your text blocks aren't grouped and remain as text.

I'd send your file to Xara Support and see what they have to say on the issue.

How did you import the text?
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Hi unfaithfulsan,

It seems to be that the text has a stroke profile applied. If you select the text, then go to Line Gallery, Stroke Shapes/Pressure Profiles, and double click constant, then the text should now export as text instead of a graphic. If you can think of how another profile might've been applied to the text and how it was imported, let us know, I've not seen this before.

This has happened to me on several occasions since re-designing the site with DPX10. Usually, clearing all the text then pasting it back in seems to remedy the problem but not on this one. I've even started with a new page and re-typed everything. Where things seem to go awry is after I import a graphic to the page, like the Nav buttons (from the Designs Gallery) or even a heading graphic I made but, again, not always.

Egg, when I imported the text on this example, I copied the original text into Notepad to remove any formatting that had been applied. After I deleted all the text & graphics on the web page itself, I selected the text in Notepad, copied it, then in DP, drew a line with the text tool the approximate width I need & pasted the text.

Ben, I'll check that to see. I haven't applied any profiles to the page. The only other thing I've tried (also unsuccessfully) was to apply a Name to the text block per the "Text inside groups for web sites" section of the Help file within the program. I'm not surprised it didn't work because I have not grouped anything.

In remembering every little thing I did leading up to this issue, I edited the text to make three separate blocks, solely for the purpose of making the alignment & spacing of the blocks easier. I did that using the same method I mentioned above and just skipped the Notepad step. However, I followed the same procedure on pages 2 & 3 with no issues.

Just got home from a doctor's appointment so I'll check the profile and post back.

Thanks so much to both of you!!

Ben, that solved the issue! "Constant" was highlighted when I opened the Line Gallery but double-clicking it seems to have fixed the problem. At least it has when I preview the page. I tested the first block. I'm able to highlight the text but the other two behave as a graphic.

I learn something new about this program every time I use it!! Thanks again to you both!!!!

Yes it was a nice find, nothing in Xara indicates a stroke. Even single clicking the constant stroke does nothing, but double clicking clears the issue. Would be interesting to find out how the stroke was attached in the first place.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host