Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Default Re: Xara Designer Pro education course learning and training resource

Really exceptional work. "Thank You" doesn't show just how much this is appreciated. The voice is nice and clear which does make a change on the tube.

Amazing job.

Some of the lectures are pretty long. For V11 perhaps look at splitting very long sections into shorter segments. I don't think any course I have has a session longer than 15-20 minutes and single session stand-alone lectures are an hour or less.

I am amazed at your dedication. It's very impressive and I hate to think how long it took you to make these.

Bravo!

I recall the excellent tutorial that you made in earlier versions of Xara Designer and they were always the ones that I looked for when a new release came out. I thought you had possibly left the Xara arena but now I see that is far from the case! Thank you for this fantastic gift.

Great,thanks,Chris,

Another (re)source to point to if someone is in need for assistance

Hans

Thank you Chris, i am one of your many fans.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Good job, I did not see it but will take a look,. thanks for your time and effort making this. You can also add couple of videos the new feature of x11, won't be that much :-)

I, too, would like to throw my hat into the ring. Thanks so, so much Chris. These videos, albeit long, are extremely well presented and flow seamlessly. I'd say on a level of Lynda or better.

Best

Info Re: Xara Designer Pro education course learning and training resource

My course is now V11 ready. Enjoy!

Some info and feedback:-

I worked intensely to try and get it out sooner (than was comfortable). I appreciate the thanks received so far; please let people know about this course if they have any questions about the software as they crop up in the future.

It has taken a good couple of weeks of solid work in my own time to carefully modify the course with the new content. Lots of subtle changes have been made since V10 which mean a lot of fine toothed combing through my detailed planning notes were needed to ensure old defunct material is removed and new material added such as to keep a seamless, sensible structure, and high quality content. I wasn’t prepared to just record some new V11 videos and lazily slap them on at the end.

Interestingly, I’d never heard of Lynda before…and it comes as no surprise to see they charge an arm and a leg for their courses. I could have easily cashed in and layered my pockets with green, but this was what I meant by setting a higher standard in my first post. Why limit my audience with a paywall for education that only cost me my spare time?

Video length seems to be the most common constructive critical feedback I've received. Two things to say about that. Firstly, unlike many of the courses on Lynda—which are more like tutorials or overview demos for specific tasks similar to my “tutorials” chapter—my course is a full, thorough, and complete educational course covering EVERY feature in a deceptively huge piece of software that is really the equivalent to a suite of products. I'm confident it’s not possible to significantly shorten course length without losing quality or content. Secondly, it’s not intended that anyone watch the entire course or even one of the larger chapter videos in one sitting, analogous to how you don’t watch the whole 7 season DVD boxset at once. Single videos are long because I wanted to avoid video clutter and a myriad of separate videos scattered everywhere—much like on Lynda (409 Photoshop courses, and 20,535 videos…lovely; not at all messy or bloated). The description on my website reflects this. One of the main reasons there is such a detailed time index (which, incidentally, took days of work in itself to do in a way that was also future proof), is so it can be used also as a content reference source. Want to learn about the fill tool? Search for and watch just the fill tool videos. Incidentally, the only reason I had to split chapters 2 and 4 into different parts is because YouTube imposes an arbitrary 5000 character limit on video descriptions. Only the core essentials of the software (e.g. selector tool and object handling) I’d recommend watching fully as a prerequisite. So I'm not that concerned that video length is really an issue beneath the surface.
    Last edited by Xhris; 13 August 2015 at 07:41 PM.

ooh good - now I can go straight there and not bother with the ver 10 at all; thanks again, much appreciated
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

You expected the video course to be v. 11 ready only by October. You outdid yourself again! Amazing job.

Suggestion though: I like the index but would like it even better if I could click a subject and go straight to the respective video. This might be too much to ask for but I thought I try anyway.....