Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Default Re: Link text fields in Designer 10 with cells in Excel or Word (table)?

Hi again Mark,

So you are linking the Google spreadsheet to the .xar file in some way???
    Very definitely.

Google Drive, including Google Sheets is great. You can create a spreadsheet directly in Google Drive or you can upload an Excel sheet to Google Drive.

Once created you can File / Export to Web.

Google gives you a link to the sheet which you can then use on your site.

Here's a link to the Google sheet showing the North section of your parking lot:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...=0&single=true

Now open Xara and on layer MouseOff create a rectangle with the iframe link. Don't tick the regenerate bitmap copy at present, click Apply.

<iframe src="https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1mvfL3m72wQmTj5xaTBGsnsLMhGi-0o0rLPlSBRV6xq0/pubhtml" height=1300 width=860 scrolling=0>
    <p>Your browser does not support iframes.</p>
    </iframe>
    NOTE I've removed the "?gid=0&single=true" end section of the url.

The Height & Width values need to be altered until they fit the content, but only once they no longer need amending.

Once you've previewed the content and are happy the required fields are being displayed, on the preview, reselect the placeholder, select "regenerate bitmap copy" and you'll get a true copy of the parking lot.

Now create a new layer for the overlay map. Create an overlay map with holes to show the under-laid iframe.

Preview & Print.

To test it, download the attached xar and preview.

If you want to edit the underlying spreadsheet:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Amend the details in N3 section and wait a few moments and re publish the xar file. It will reflect your changes. The other cells have code to avoid me having to type in multiple values in this example.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Egg Bramhill; 03 August 2015 at 10:47 PM.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Default Re: Link text fields in Designer 10 with cells in Excel or Word (table)?

Video:
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Egg,

I have tried the procedure you have outlined in a clean sheet of my Photo/Designer Pro 10. I create the rectangle but I cannot seem to get an iframe to be connected to it. If I right click the rectangle, there is no Web Properties to select. But there is a Web Properties under the Utilities menu. Just cannot see how to connect the iframe to that rectangle?

I was able to open up your xar file and see how it is suppose to work and it looks really cool.

Will be looking up some help online when I get a chance today.

Mark

Select the rectangle.
    Right Click
    Select Web Properties
    Select Placeholder tab
    Select Replace with HTML Code
    BODY button
    Paste in:
    <iframe src="https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1mvfL3m72wQmTj5xaTBGsnsLMhGi-0o0rLPlSBRV6xq0/pubhtml" height=920 width=860 scrolling=0>
    <p>Your browser does not support iframes.</p>
    </iframe>

EDIT: If you can't see "web properties" in Photo Designer 10, with the rectangle selected , go to Web Properties under the Utilities menu and continue as above.
    Egg

If you email me at

eggtg@mybtinternet.com
    I'll send you a link to the Google Sheet and you can edit it yourself.
    Egg

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    Video:
    Egg comes thru again. thx for making it so effortless to learn this stuff

Cheers Mikey. As I say, it only has a limited use as it's messed up by other browsers but I think it meets the OP's requirements.
    Egg

Egg,

I tried several ways and it just seems that I cannot get the rectangle to get the web properties. When I try and preview it after using the Utilities > Web Properties menu I get the following error:

Sorry, this version of the program can't publish print documents on the web.

So I am not sure what I may have not switched on in my Xara version. Checked on the Xara web site and I have the 'Xara Photo & Graphic Designer 10.' It does not state a PRO version, so now I am wondering if I can even do this due to the error message I keep getting.

Mark

I'll have to get back to you re this tomorrow Mark
    Egg

Mark, your software has no web publishing capabilities, so it's hardly surprising you can't access web properties.

I think along the way, we forgot what version of the software you are using.

I think you can still use the majority of Eggs workflow, but not use web pages.

All I can say is that it's just as well Egg isn't being paid!

Eggs solution is neat. It provides a form of automation by using web pages, but that is not open to you.

Some manual editing will be required to import the spreadsheet cells and put them in place and you can then overlay any other graphics over the top.

Egg has shown the principle and in truth, by using an export from excel, the regeneration of the diagram by importing that image isn't that great, but it won't be automated.

You may wish to consider changing what version of the software that you are using if you want to fit with Eggs existing workflow, or put up with manual updates.

It might be an idea to use the trail software to get a feel for the workflow.