Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 19 of 36 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Default Re: Wish List for V12

+1
    IP

Also, Supersite page transitions, they're awesome, but can these ever be implemented in non-supersite pages?
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by Mike in Canada View Post
    Egg and Paul...

This is just a rough example...Attachment 110286

It is also my first attachment in these forums, so hope it works!
    I don't think that's a great argument for sticky items not to be on top!

Neat though it is..
    IP

Is it possible to improve to Publish Website option?

I've only used this to publish via FTP to my webhost, so I don't know if it has the same functionality throughout the rest of the option.

I live in a remote location with a very poor internet speed/connection. The thing I find frustrating is when publishing a website, the connection eventually fails and Xara just tells me there was an error, then I need to publish again, and again, starting from scratch.

My last website design software also had an FTP publish utility. However, when the FTP upload failed it would reconnect to complete the upload, as well re-sending the failed file and keeping a full log of files uploaded and the result, allowing you to view any individual problems.

One of the TG members did suggest I use Filezilla FTP sever. I eventually got it working, but it's a long winded process just to publish, through having a bad connection.
    IP

COPY & PASTE Default action changes to user function under the MOUSE OPTIONS.
    Right now the EXTREMELY HATED (by myself at least) default Copy & Paste function drops the new object in the center of the view window.

Flexistarter's (vinyl cutting software) default COPY & PASTE has the object remain floating (like many paint programs as the user can precisely position the object afterward) which is good, but adds in an extra click per COPY & PASTE.
    Most programs (INKSCAPE) just COPY & PASTE then and drops the object onto the page under the mouse location with the center of the object being the action pixel point of the mouse.
    Some programs do default COPY & PASTE by dropping the copied object directly on top of the copied object (which is visually confusing to new program users as the program appears to have failed to respond at all).
    Usually the object remains selected after the pasted object is dropped onto the page. But some programs PASTE & DESELECT (usually painting programs).

In my scale of USEFULNESS for each COPY & PASTE default function.
    Most Useful
    (#1) COPY & PASTE - DROP (drop object on page at object's current rotation centerpoint)
    (#2) COPY & PASTE - FLOAT (copied object remains floating over the page and as the mouse moves the object moves)
    (#3) COPY & PASTE - OVER OBJECT ALWAYS (very handy, but annoying if you're used to the normal COPY & PASTE, still extremely useful as a secondary PASTE icon & keyboard option, I use this a lot in XARA).
    (#4) COPY & PASTE - CENTER OF PAGE (defective Paste function, always requires a secondary click-drag-click routine to reposition object, slows down workflow and makes users 75% slower in action versus COPY & PASTE version #1)
    Least Useful
    IP

BONES -- Can we please have an installation that just upgrades our existing version to the new one, keeping all our templates and preferences intact? Upgrading XDPro is easily the worst installation experience I have to put up with and always has been.

Agreed, I have to recopy all of my templates from previous versions of XARA, reposition all of my icons so they aren't annoying like XARA's default.
    I have to re-edit all of my PAGE OPTION default settings, re-edit the PDF export options, re-edit the JPG & PNG export options, and so on... every frickken time.
    Usually I delay updating XARA for months upon months (keeping XARA from getting my money) to avoid this annoyance if it slows down my workflow at work unacceptably.
    IP

Another WISH for the WISHLIST.
    An option to turn off the "CANNOT NUDGE OBJECT OFF PAGE" (incredibly annoying warning, which may be useful for others, irks me regularly).

Stop limiting my view window to the center of the PAGE OBJECT. If I Copy & Paste objects outside of the page (for editing without risking damaging the current page) or try to deep zoom into objects outside of the current PAGE OBJECT, then the object outside of the page is hidden. I know the reason for this is to limit SCROLLBAR issues, but if I paste an object 3 PAGE OBJECT widths to the left, a simple zoom on that object outside of the page causes the zoom window to swerve rightwards, ignoring my current zoom center, and renders the object I am working on, untouchable.

At ZOOM = 100% everything is okay, but it starts to push rightward.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xara Page Zoom1.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	32.5 KB 
ID:	110620
    At ZOOM = 125% the object to the left is hidden and cannot be scrolled to.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xara Page Zoom2.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	37.4 KB 
ID:	110621

In most of my work, I have to work around this annoyance constantly. The PAGE OBJECT takes focus, but XARA tends to ignore the larger workspace zone and makes it difficult to edit zoomed objects outside of the primary PAGE OBJECT and you have no scroll options (even the Grabby Hand "PUSH TOOL" icon won't scroll to objects outside of the PAGE OBJECT when zoomed in past 100%).
    IP

IMPROVED PDF EXPORT TO BYPASS XARA MEMORY HANDLING FLAWS.
    A PDF is a large TEXT FILE (like the SVG vector files).

But what is one fun thing you can do in WINDOWS? Join files end to end by a simple Windows commandline function.

COPY file1+file2+file3 targetfile
    Also, if its binary files, you can add in the '/b' option at the end.

So what is the use of this?
    Simple.
    Let us say you are exporting a PDF document with six pages but you hit "OUT OF MEMORY" from XARA, yet XARA handles each individual page fine.
    Well, the PDF EXPORTER could export each page individually, then merge the pages using the Windows COPY command to Join the text files into one huge text file.
    The only problem with this is that Windows won't let you have a file bigger than 4GB on Win32 OS versions.

Aha, you say, but PDF's don't work that way. If you do that, you'll get one page viewable and the rest will be ignored.
    So that is why you program in the pages so they will merge into a finished PDF like they were six simple PDF pages (one differently colored rectangle object per page).
    That way when you binary merge the pages they will merge fine with very little extra effort.

It wouldn't hurt to be able to "fake DPI of objects on a page so the file sizes aren't so ridiculously huge on export too.
    If I have a 150 DPI imported object, but my boss insists on an export of all PDF pages at 600 DPI, XARA resizes these objects on export to match a 600 DPI image.
    Otherwise, if I export for print at 300 DPI, all 600 DPI objects will be scaled downward. If I had a clickbox which said, "Leave Lower DPI bitmaps at same DPI" my file sizes would be mostly tiny.
    IP

Ah, another WISH for XARA 12.

Firstly is an obvious one, but not a hard one to do except for legacy code cruft.
    All text entry boxes are DEFAULT rectangles. But do they HAVE TO BE RECTANGLES?
    Think about it. Imagine you had a text rectangle box surrounded by 5 rectangle objects which overlap that text rectangle. Each of these boxes have REPEL TEXT UNDER OBJECT set to ON.
    So what does XARA do? It flows the text inside the box and flows it away from the overlapping objects. Got it? Very simple, already inside the XARA codebase.

So why not allow "ANY SHAPE TEXT FLOW BOXES"? Imagine a Hexagon shape, now imagine that as a text box. Imagine being able to OBJECT ADD together two rectangle text boxes.
    There is no real limitation on this. If objects over the top of a rectangle text box can REPEL TEXT, then the text can be repelled by the edges of a freeform shape just as equally.
    Which should allow a "TEXT ROTATE" option from the default Horizontal Left-to-Right (English) text flow.
    Essentially both "Flow Text Within Object Shape" = "Text Rectangle with Overlapping Objects with REPEL TEXT UNDER" result in the same result.

Text Rectangles do have a valid reason to continue existing though, merely because many simple text editors assume that text rectangles are the default shape for all text flows.
    Last edited by matrix29bear; 19 October 2015 at 04:32 AM. Reason: Adding in logical reason for reluctance for change
    IP

One more clarification of the FAKE DPI option which I speak of.

It wouldn't hurt to be able to "fake DPI of objects on a page so the file sizes aren't so ridiculously huge on export too.
    If I have a 150 DPI imported object, but my boss insists on an export of all PDF pages at 600 DPI, XARA resizes these objects on export to match a 600 DPI image.
    Otherwise, if I export for print at 300 DPI, all 600 DPI objects will be scaled downward. If I had a clickbox which said, "Leave Lower DPI bitmaps at same DPI" my file sizes would be mostly tiny.
    I use a simple file viewer (expertly programmed though) called IRFANVIEW.
    If I open an image file and click the (I) icon button on the toolbar (for Image Information) or hit the letter "I" on the keyboard it brings up a lot of useful info.
    However, it ALSO allows me to do a trick which is easy for fooling printing programs. I can type in ANY DPI (dots per inch) I please at whim.
    I repeat I CAN TYPE IN ANY D.P.I. and the image is not resized or altered, just some numbers are changed in the DPI field.

Here, take this for an example
    Name:  XARA logo.png
Views: 125
Size:  2.2 KB This is a PNG file of the XARA logo at 151 pixels x 151 pixels. (File size 3 KB).

Now this is the IDENTICAL IMAGE saved as a JPG file with the false DPI of 300 DPI x 300 DPI and it still is only 151 pixels x 151 pixels. (File size 5 KB).
    Name:  XARA logo (300dpi).jpg
Views: 151
Size:  5.0 KB

Want to shrink your DPI costs for images in exported PDF's from XARA? Allow an option to "RESCALE IMAGES TO MATCH PREFERRED DPI" or "FAKE IMAGE DPI SIZE ON EXPORT".
    Limiting excessively high DPI is perfectly fine in XARA. Having "Target DPI" zones is also a perfectly fine thing.
    However, we don't all need REAL DPI for every image we have. Want a smaller PDF export? USE FAKE DPI VALUES.

This image was found from XARA's GOOGLE+ website listing using a generic GOOGLE websearch for "XARA".

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-x...o-ns/photo.jpg
    https://plus.google.com/u/0/+XaraGroup/posts
    This was achieved by entering 300 and 300 in the DPI Resolution box in IRFANVIEW's Information Box.
    What is preventing XARA from doing the IDENTICAL TRICK
    IP