MS-Graph:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7-16-2016 12-43-06 PM.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	56.9 KB 
ID:	113430
    IP

Default Re: Wish List for V12

Would it be possible for the next iteration of Designer to have full Open Type management capability that has been requested since the year dot.
    The ability to use alternative glyphs like they have in grown-up applications would probably make Designer be taken more seriously.
    Forget all the quick shapes, eye candy and web stuff for once, and concentrate on the vector and typography improvements for which we have been waiting a decade or more.
    Bob.
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by iamtheblues View Post
    Would it be possible for the next iteration of Designer to have full Open Type management capability that has been requested since the year dot.
    +10

I own at least $700 worth of Opentype fonts with cusrom swashes, joined ff s, and glyphs I paid for, but cannot access unless I use an Adobe product.

-g
    Last edited by Gare; 16 July 2016 at 09:17 PM. Reason: Couldn't use Alt+ 0254
    IP

Oh, quit the complaining. They gave us GPOS kerning this go 'round some 15 years (or more) after the fact...

Mike
    (Do I really need to insert a smiley face here or otherwise indicate my sarcasm?)
    IP

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

I've started a new thread for the 365 Versions. It is now stuck at the top and I've removed the sticky from this thread.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by mwenz View Post
    Do I really need to insert a smiley face here or otherwise indicate my sarcasm?
    I don't see any compliaing here, Mike.

Only thoughtful, well-organized, carefully laid out bitching.

You want an ironic smiley? All yours, pal...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sarcastic-smiley.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	35.3 KB 
ID:	113439

It's not The Xara Group's fault, and I'm not sure it's their problem, either. And Charles did jump in and say the new release model promises more type control.

I'd really love to see more of a dialogue on "Dear Xara", however I also realize how many programmers had to be let go almost a decade ago. The suvivors are working a full schedule I imagine.

-g
    IP

Eh. Me thinks that the new model has nothing to do with faster development that therefore makes it to the consumer quicker but rather is a mixture of marketing bs and the perception of movement.

But it is what it is and my opinion is worth every penny paid for it...
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by mwenz View Post
    Eh. But it is what it is and my opinion is worth every penny paid for it...
    +10 on that one, Mike.

I never mentioned faster development, did I?

The 365 model is good for the customer because you get minor and major patches as they are discovered and fixed, and (I'm hoping for) little or major new features during the year instead of the next iteration.

The 365 model is good for The Xara Group because it takes the release date noose off their neck, and allows programmers to work more like normal people work. Not that I'm even remotely acquainted with a normal person (I visit this forum instead), but very seriously, from the perspective of the engineers, the 365 model seems like a better fit for creativity. I'm more creative when I don't have a Do or Die date for work.

Xanax® helps, too.

-g
    IP

Thanks, Frances.
    IP

I know this seems small by comparison to other requests but why is the variable corner shape only accessible from the more shapes option and why are the rotate and quick style options only available on items inserted from the Insert > Shape menu?

I guess I would just like to see consistency in the way the quick shapes are made available and the funtionality that is applied to them. For example insert a rectangle from the left side toolbar, then insert a rectangle from the Insert > Shape menu. They are completely different yet both perform the same function. Could we not combine the two so that we can drag out the rectangle shape but on release, the handles etc from the Insert > Shape version are applied? Add the option to modify the corners individually and you have reduced three separate shape options to one? All that would be needed in addition is a toggle to lock the corners if you wanted to size and style them all the same?

Just seems to me like the current options provide a bit of duplication and uneccessary complexity in the UI?
    IP