Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 36 12311 ... LastLast
    Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Default Wish List for V12

Well now that DP 11 is out and we've all had a chance to tryout those wonderful art brushes I'm putting together a wish list for next year

- Spacing control for repeating art brushes
    - the ability to define end and corner pieces for repeating art brushes
    - a more unified brush settings panel for both art and scatter brushes
    - better brush organization tools perhaps a brushes gallery that you could add custom folders to that would allow you to change brushes with a single click
    - OTF glyph support, a glyphs panel that would allow you to access the extra glyphs that come with Open type fonts.

Note: feature requests from this thread will be compiled and a survey of the top 10 or so will be published on the forums and the results will be made public and passed on directly to the Developers
    Last edited by angelize; 29 July 2015 at 10:25 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.
    IP

Default Re: Wish List for V12

I'm making this a sticky thread.

OTF and glyph support.

Flexible page numbering. This means the option to have page numbers start on some page other than the first page. This is important for books or publications that require a forward, prologue, glossary or other front matter at the start of a book or publication and then start the actual page numbering at a specific page.

Master Pages for both documents and website. Yes, we have repeating objects, and features such as Footer designation. But in a website, book or publication is it useful to have master pages for chapter titles, first page, left and right pages, etc.

Some key to toggle the Color Picker. Example: I'm doing some retouching of a photo with the Shape Painter Tool and I want to match colors in the photo while I am working. Pressing Alt or a similar key while working lets me grab a color at the same time I am painting an area. There are many more illustration and drawing related instances where this would be helpful.
    IP

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

I'm making this a sticky thread.
    I should have thought of that, thanks Gary!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.
    IP

Wishlists usually end up containing every possible feature that the program doesn't yet have. Not really surprising when you think about it...

What would be more useful to us (Xara) is a weighted list so that we know which features would satisfy the most people.

If the community could organise that somehow within the next month it would help in deciding what will be in V12.

Obviously we can't make any promises about which features will be in the next release because there are complex strategic resourcing and marketing pressures involved as well.

Phil
    IP

My biggest wish as I still do the odd printshop jobs is for the super brushes to go vector. Or at least when you turn the line into a shape to have a higher d.p.i. than 96 it honestly seems such a waste of some handsome brushes. The guys like Phil have shown over the years that they listen to their users and that's why we got them now but they still have to take it a stage further.

Gary I think your right if your going to sell a product called Page & layout Designer you have to have Master Pages and not call it "Intuitive Page Layout" as xara have done. If that is being included then surely when you have a left & right master page or dual-master pages there must be a facility on the doc. setup to have imposition in page numbering not including forward's as you have described.

Frances I think a lot of the brushes in Ver. 11 are very limited in their application as using a brush as a border is really a no-no. It's got to have like you do in Illy a Pattern brush, where you can select how to finish borders at the corner. You just cant have gaps.
    While were still on brushes, why no Preview. Let's say were in Editing a brush, a scatter brush, you go through 2 decisions before you can see the effect of your edit --> that''s pure guess work!

I really like the Shape Editing Tool, Using a Wacom you can have a Calligraphy brush which is all vector and that gives me a fast way to lay down cartoons. It's pressure recording using the Wacom so shapes with a handrawn look are easy. Now you have do your pencil sketches quite large as when you use smoothing with the brush it finds turning in small areas difficult. At the moment I am doing a comic strip about cooking and each scene pane I draw in A4 landscape then reduce down to fit the grid I have made for the storyline of the comic strip. Now comes the negative bit. I want to make the strip look handrawn so in certain areas I want to edit it, normally in the face, even though I have set the smoothing of the shape to a fairly high number when I use the Shape Editor I have a huge number of nodes at sharp corners. So I select the nodes and pull the smoothing down from the top right of menu bar I suddenly go from a huge number down to hardly any which ruins the drawing. Could the Shape Builder Tool have few nodes please. I know this wont figure high in the majority of users needs.
    Design is thinking made visual.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by PhilM View Post
    Wishlists usually end up containing every possible feature that the program doesn't yet have. Not really surprising when you think about it...

What would be more useful to us (Xara) is a weighted list so that we know which features would satisfy the most people.

If the community could organise that somehow within the next month it would help in deciding what will be in V12.

Obviously we can't make any promises about which features will be in the next release because there are complex strategic resourcing and marketing pressures involved as well.

Phil
    Can TG be provided with a Voting system? Perhaps we should replace the fora with instances of JIRA?
    Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by PhilM View Post
    ...What would be more useful to us (Xara) is a weighted list so that we know which features would satisfy the most people.

If the community could organise that somehow within the next month it would help in deciding what will be in V12...l
    This is a reasonably sounding idea. But they never can represent the fuller user base. They only really serve those people who are habitually on a forum.

As far as I know, the type of voting systems that can plug into this forum are severely limited to the number of entries.
    IP

Dear Xara Team

Even though we enjoy your yearly updates... Take my money... And look forward to it in anticipation.

We would not in the least bit be upset with a 11.5 update... Think along the line of a little Christmas present for your devoted following.

Not necessarily filled with the greatest new features... But the most reasoned features of 11 polished and given some more love.

Some of the things Angelize mentioned about the Brushes would then fall into this category... and perhaps some of the Web Animation frustrations I encountered mentioned in another post.

It'll hold us over till next summer when we get teased again with first Web Design 12... Then Photo & Graphic Designer...

Thank you!

Sincerely,
    Richard
    IP

What about using the poll functionality that comes with this forum? Of course we would have to set up a list of improved and new features but that seems doable if the moderators are willing to log and compile them.
    IP

Something I would really like to see in 12 is a Circular Transparency where the Center can be Transparent and the edge Opaque.

Unless this is already possible and I am too stupid to figure it out?!

Thanks...
    IP