Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 21 of 36 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Default Re: Wish List for V12

Does one expect someone less experienced here to know to type 600 in the export, Bitmap Size box?

No, indeed, that's the problem.

No, an image on the web can be expressed only in pixels because we assume we know the resolution of our display.

We don't need to know the resolution, but we need to have an idea of the kind of ratios that exist between screen pixels and browser pixels. It's that ratio that counts. It used to be 1:1 but now browser:screen can be as much as 1:2.5 (or more for all I know). It's that ratio that matters.

Xara does spit out retina images (at 2x resolution, I think), so there is some understanding, and currently that will always give a good image, though some of the Samsung phones have very high pixel densities.

DPI really doesn't matter. It's browser:screen pixel ratios that determine the optimum bitmap size.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
    [B][COLOR=#333333]

DPI really doesn't matter. It's browser:screen pixel ratios that determine the optimum bitmap size.[/I]
    We are all in agreement here. The Web doesn't matter, but creating graphics for the Web calls for a grasp of resolution.

-g
    IP

Here's my wish list for v12.

Ability to import Access or Excel exported html files.

Or the ability to pull ODBC links more accurately without using more software outside of the XARA suite
    IP

Hi develpers

this is the horrible things I must confront daily :

no independent rss (webrss.com free application is very hard to edit)
    no function facebook comments/disqus comment (subpage doesnt stretch downwards)
    no "most read" article application
    no "last article" application

all this topics are basic in html world ...
    IP

In your world, perhaps, but not everyone's.
    IP

Actually I do sympathise with you, Rut, although I see pauland doesn't.

As someone who has moved to WD from an HMTL based world, I do find the graphics based program very difficult to get to grips with. I'm not artistic by any means. I do sometimes wonder if I made an error buying WD, but I have no option but to press on with it. I can't afford to change to something else.
    IP

Actually I do sympathise with you, Rut, although I see pauland doesn't.

Well, I understand it's a problem for Rut, but really the solution is simple. If you need a blog type platform, use a blog-oriented platform and for your static Xara site you can link through to it. People do this all the time in the non-Xara world. It's not about sympathy. If you have a hammer that has problems extracting screws you get a screwdriver not a hammer. The core userbase for Xara are building basic websites. Expanding content pages are tricky to implement in conjunction with free-design and WYSIWYG.

Rut is quite right to make the request, but not to assume the Xara userbase sees his request as essential.

As someone who has moved to WD from an HMTL based world, I do find the graphics based program very difficult to get to grips with. I'm not artistic by any means. I do sometimes wonder if I made an error buying WD

Xara offers a thirty-day trial, so really nobody should be having surprises about how it works - WYSIWYG. Anyone familiar with HTML page generation will quickly understand what this means and the compromises it makes. Xara promises WYSIWYG not content-responsive pages.

This is now somewhat off topic, but what is difficult to get to grips with with Xara? Perhaps start a new thread?

I suspect you are alluding that you may be more comfortable with a template-based solution. Xara addresses that with it's library of template designs.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by nichan79 View Post
    Ability to import Access or Excel exported html files.
    Or the ability to pull ODBC links more accurately without using more software outside of the XARA suite
    I use DataTables for this. It is external (a jQuery plug-in) but why integrated something that is already functional.
    Xara is never going to be a database engine.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by Rut View Post
    Hi develpers

this is the horrible things I must confront daily :

no independent rss (webrss.com free application is very hard to edit)
    no function facebook comments/disqus comment (subpage doesnt stretch downwards)
    no "most read" article application
    no "last article" application

Rut, I am with pauland with this.
    Xara was never designed to stretch a pixel-positioned layout. That said, there are workarounds out there.
    Most of what you are bemoaning needs a Blog.

A page stretch could be done with html IFRAME manipulation but I would contend that is far from "basic in html".
    You Disqus issues are probably down to DOM clashes with embedding Disqus into an IFRAME. Again, this is on you and the Disqus help forum rather than a Xara failure as I can manage quite well using WordPress.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat
    IP

If you search my posts, you;ll see I have a few ongoing queries at the moment. For which I am extremely grateful for the help from TG members.

BTW, the thirty day trial took me most of that time to get the hang of how WD works generally.
    As you'll see in my posts, I'm struggling with various things. One of them is uploading with a very slow connection.

My comment was not meant to sound like sour grapes.
    IP