Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Help, Got a major B-U-G!!!

Sorry but I have to help my folks who are at wits end. They got a laptop (FINALLY)! But decided to give it to me and they wanted to give it to me with the software ready to go. But we had a problem. My dad, works for a school district so he likes using academicsoftware.com. As life is full of things you can't expect, Dad bought Xara Designer 11 the day before they went to Xara Designer X365. My parents are technologically challenged at points so thought I'd try to help them (as I am the major beneficiary -- and think you have really cool software) -- but I can see why they are confused. Some of the communications from Xara call their product: Xara Designer X11, other times Xara Designer X12, and then Xara Designer X when it was installed and also, just for grins -- Xara Designer X365!

Dad used his email address to install, though the software wanted to install it in my mom's email name. We did the Dad-email as he purchased it, cause he is the school employee. The software downloaded from a link sent to us by academicsoftware.com and it installed. But then we go to put the serial number in... and it crashes.... repeatedly. Then they send us the trial's serial number so we get that part accepted. However, even though with a discount to school employees, what discount is it if you only get to use it 30 days? Dad got tired of this and said: "This is yours now, and I can't fix it, sorry sweetheart."

So what do we do, or how can you help me? Does he need to get a refund as it may be that since it was just when the software name changed, it is all screwed up???

Someone help me as by Friday I get the Wacom Tablet he also got for me, and I'd like to tell him some happy news, as well as my mom.

My dad can't get an answer from Xara so I am trying for them (alright, and for me too).

Thank you to anyone who can help us!!

Default Re: Help, Got a major B-U-G!!!

I responded in the other thread you posted this issue in. But check back here tomorrow and I am hopeful someone from Xara will respond. I have sent a request to them to review this problem.

Hi pixel_perfect,

Does the error occur right after pressing register and the spinning circles spin, stop and then the program freezes? If so can you follow the instructions below to see if that fixes it for you.
    The solution is to reset the "Internet Explorer" settings.
    1.Open the "Internet Explorer" (not Edge)
    2.Click the Tools button Tools, and then click Internet options.
    3.Click the "Advanced" tab, click "Restore advanced settings" and then click "Reset".
    4.In the Reset Internet Explorer Settings dialog box, click Reset.

5.Click the "Security" tab, then click "Custom Level..." and then click "Reset".

6.When Internet Explorer finishes applying default settings, click Close, and then click OK. You'll need to restart your PC for these changes to take effect.

7.Now try to activate again, this time it should work.

Thanks,
    Ben

Thank you, I'll let my folks know.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ScreenHunter_01 Jul. 14 07.54.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	36.9 KB 
ID:	113382

Thank you, Ben, for your detailed answer. But I can leave it even know and the working animation never ends??

I tried it just as you suggested. But there is more to this. We've gotten a service ticket. I think Xara has to do something on their end. The software was purchases as Xara Designer Pro X11 and the next day, the academicsuperstore.com changed the product to: X365. During parts of the installation, the program refers to itself as X, other times X12 and then also X11. Tech support says it is X365. But inconsistencies in the naming may cause problems as well as trying to get it to accept the registration number. Tried to register it online and got an error message that it was not a valid number.

I'll have to wait for tech support.

But I did all the stuff you suggested. And I thank you very much for the time you took to type such a detailed answer. The screenshot shows where the serial number upload stops. Does the same thing every time.

Thanks,
    Sarah
    Last edited by pixel_perfect; 14 July 2016 at 03:05 PM.

Hi,

What's your ticket number and we'll take a look at it straight away.

Thanks
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by pixel_perfect View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ScreenHunter_01 Jul. 14 07.54.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	36.9 KB 
ID:	113382
    Sarah, I am sure others are well on in your case but the hang looks as if your Firewall is blocking the connection but there is another possible. What usually next happens is then is a further download of a MAGIX installer.
    Sometimes this hides behind you other application windows. You can use the Windows key + Tab to cycle round all your open window; it might just be lurking.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Oh, thank you! That has fixed it. One other thing, my dad's email address was mucking up the works, had to use Mom's -- it, was the only thing left to try.

Got lot's to do, am flying home.

I got it solved. I feel with all this great help, I have to thank everyone. I have emailed tech support for the folks so they know it is handled. So glad of all the help, really!

Thanks for the update.