Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Google Chrome and mp3 compatibility?

Hi, I have used WD11p and been recently alerted to a compatibility issue when viewing with Chrome? My website works fine with Internet Explorer (and with Firefox), however some (but not all) mp3 files will not open/play when viewed with google chrome. The relevant webpage is: http://www.adelaidevncma.com/sermons2.htm and the mp3 files are those shown as 12, 19 & 26 July. Wondering if anyone else has encountered similar issues when using Chrome with mp3 files or perhaps there is a simple answer in the way those last files have been uploaded/embedded?

Default Re: Google Chrome and mp3 compatibility?

I experience the same issue. They play in IE and FF but not in GC. It could be a number of things. I am not so sure it is GC's issue though as your other files play in it. If they are the same file type as you say they should play.

Are you sure those 3 sound files are the same type of file or is something different about them? Is the code used to embed them the same?

Hi gsthunder, thanks for the feedback (sorry for the delayed response as I have been preoccupied with other problems, most recently with windows 10!). Anyway, I checked the files concerned, but as far as I can tell, they are all the same type of files, embedded in the same way. I tried deleting those files and then re-uploading them all, but still the same result. The only issue that I think may be relevant is that I have had a few problems with 'layers' and I will attempt to address that soon and try again? Cheers, Rikko.

Here is something else that might be causing it. Make sure the file name and file type/extension matches the file name and file type/extension in your code exactly. For example, if the code says XXXX.MP3 make sure the file is named XXXX and ends with .MP3. IF the name is actually xxxx or it ends with .mp3 it might be behind it. Sometimes the case of the letters matters. I have run into this with PDF's, MP3's, and various video files.

Also, make sure those files that won't play really are MP3's and not something else. I had an issue with this myself just recently. I used 3rd party software to compress some large MP4 files so they were smaller for web use. I saved them as MP4's like the originals. However, they weren't playing after upload. After some looking I discovered that even though they were supposed to save as MP4 they were saving as M4V files. Because of that the code was wrong. I change them to end with .MP4 and they worked.

Just a couple other things to look at.

Thanks for the ideas, unfortunately they didn't solve the problem? The file extensions were already all in the same (lower) case and the file names in this case are all numeric dates, with hyphen separators. I previously tried re-uploading all the audio files, but that didn't change anything that I could tell. I can't see any issues with layers either, so for now, there still seems to be an unidentified compatibility issue between Xara & google chrome? I'll have to try the new "Edge" browser soon I guess....

IF some play they all should.