Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Exporting & Display Problems With Variant Site

I searched for answers to these issues before asking but didn't come up with anything so I have to ask. I just finished up adding a new mobile variant to an existing client website. I am having 2 pretty serious problems though with it. One is exporting and one is display. I am using WD10 Premium. Also, I export to my computer and then I upload the files using a 3rd party FTP program FWIW.

1.) - Exporting. It will no longer export the mobile/variant page? On the initial export of the files it created a copy of each page with an _1.htm after them. So, I had 2 page options for each page...

index.htm
    index_1.htm

There were 2 problems with the pages on display after exporting them however( see #2 below )so I deleted all the pages and data folder on my computer and exported the site again to hopefully correct the problems as I knew at least one of the issues is corrected by doing that. I hoped it would the other as well.. Unfortunately, it will no longer export the mobile variant _1.htm pages at all? No matter what I do they will not export. Just the main/regular .htm pages are exported now. I didn't change anything as far as any settings go either?

2.) - I uploaded the files after the initial export and discovered 2 display issues. 1 issue is something I already know how to deal with but the other is odd. There are 6 pages in the mobile version of the site. 2 of them displayed correctly but the other 4 displayed the smaller mobile variant page stacked on top of the regular sized page in both the regular version and mobile version( in other words it did it whether I was on my computer or my cell ). So both were showing at the same time with the mobile version on top and to the left of the screen.

I was hoping that exporting the site again would correct whatever glitch was causing the page stacking but as said in #1 it will no longer export the mobile variant with the _1.htm pages?

I am LOST as to what has happened and what to do to correct this? I ended up leaving the _1.htm files on the server and then uploaded the new regular pages and everything now displays properly on the computer and cell. I have some red X's where images are numbered different but it is only effecting 2 small spaces on the mobile version and can stay as is until I figure out what is going on.

I really need to fix #1 before I can see if just exporting it again clears whatever was causing the odd display issue with the 2 page versions stacking on some pages and not on others. I truly appreciate any help people can provide. As said earlier, I tried a search and didn't come up with anything. I am sorry for the length of the post as well. Just trying to give as much detail as I can.

Thank you very much in advance.

Default Re: Exporting & Display Problems With Variant Site

Sorry you've got this problem.

First off then, does it export locally with these _1 addenda?

Have you compared the files locally exported and published?

Does your FTP program have an overwrite and replace setting? Actually, does it have a copy a newer file and add an increment it if the same filename already exists?

The missing images are probably where xara is republishing the same image with a different number.jpg value. I usually Name my important images with filename=imagename to avoid this.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Sorry you've got this problem.

First off then, does it export locally with these _1 addenda?

Have you compared the files locally exported and published?

Does your FTP program have an overwrite and replace setting? Actually, does it have a copy a newer file and add an increment it if the same filename already exists?

The missing images are probably where xara is republishing the same image with a different number.jpg value. I usually Name my important images with filename=imagename to avoid this.

Acorn
    Thanks and it is ok. Software glitches happen. Overall Xara has been pretty good to me in the 1/2 dozen programs I have bought over the years. I just need to figure out what happened.

No, it just stopped exporting the _1.htm version of the pages( they are the 480 mobile variants ). I only export locally( to a file on my computer ). I don't use the built in publish/FTP feature in Xara.

Yes, I did compare the pages on my system( locally )and online( published )and the problem existed in both places. FWIW the stacking issue did not show up in Xara preview. Only after export to my computer.

My FTP program is actually really old but I am used to it and thus I stay with it. It does overwrite the existing file and will tell me if the file online is newer than the one I am uploading. With that said, I always delete the old files from my computer before exporting and then from the server before uploading. I even delete the pages not just the data folder. I have found I get fewer errors doing this and it only takes a few seconds. So this isn't, or shouldn't be, an overwriting issue as it isn't overwriting anything. It is always a "clean install" if you will.

Yeah, I know why the images are missing. I didn't upload the newer data folder when I uploaded the newer regular pages. It was just a quick test to see what happened. When I saw that everything was suddenly working properly, other than those 4 missing images on the mobile variant, I decided to leave it so the client's site is functional and as close to normal as can be while I try and fix this.

Hope I answered your questions properly. Appreciate any assistance you can provide.

Note - I may not make it back here until tomorrow.

Exporting. It will no longer export the mobile/variant page? On the initial export of the files it created a copy of each page with an _1.htm after them. So, I had 2 page options for each page...
    Not following you here gs. Xara doesn't export two seperate htm files, one for a desktop and one for a mobile variant. It merely exports one htm file with internal code informing the browser which variant to serve up dependent on the browser window size
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

I think a copy of the design file will need to be uploaded,
    Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    Not following you here gs. Xara doesn't export two seperate htm files, one for a desktop and one for a mobile variant. It merely exports one htm file with internal code informing the browser which variant to serve up dependent on the browser window size
    ^^^^^ THIS solved/explained it! Unbelievable. I feel like an idiot although to be fair I did not know this.

I came here and saw the quoted post this AM so I did a couple quick tweaks to the content on 2 of the mobile variant pages that needed to be done, exported the site, removed the old pages and data folder off the server and uploaded the new, and all is right with the world. Works exactly as it should and the client is happy.

It begs the question however, why did Xara export 2 versions of the same page that initial time? I always export to an empty folder as said so it had a clean location to export to. It absolutely put 2 versions of each page in there as well. I just assumed it needed them.

I will chalk the regular/mobile page stacking up to the same type of glitch that happens from time to time( that I have posted about elsewhere )where the pages lose the background/pasteboard area color when exported and you have to export again to fix it.

Thanks to Acorn and Egg Bramhill for the assist. I only wish I had been able to figure this out last night. It drove me crazy as I tried to get some rest after getting home late.

Kudos to you gentlemen.