Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Step and Repeat

Default Step and Repeat

Please add a "step and repeat" tool. It should work horizontally, vertically and around in a circle.
    Thanks, Lew Marchese, artworx@Comcast.net

Default Re: Step and Repeat

I cannot tell you how many years I have been asking for Ctrl R such as CorelDRAW has had for as many years to repeat the last step. Maybe now that there wee two of us.

We already have a Duplicate Object capability with Nudge Distances that can be any angle.
    Use Ctrl+Alt+D and Options > General.

Why a circle?
    Make it along any line and use a user-defined custom brush, adjust spacing and then Convert to Editable Shapes.

Far,far more flexible.

These have been in XDP for versions.
    I can't recall what the latest version has over yours but there may be other features you don't know about.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Xara's duplicate isn't the same thing as CorelDraw's repeat.

It would help if more people had a broader experience with other software.

Plus One for all the OP's suggestions.

+1

Quote Originally Posted by mwenz View Post
    Xara's duplicate isn't the same thing as CorelDraw's repeat.

It would help if more people had a broader experience with other software.

I am sorry you felt you had to respond in this fashion as I believe you have conflated the OP's request with Gary's response, which I have no opportunity to view as the timestamps will confirm.

This Forum is for requests to change the Xara applications but a one-line request is not a justification.
    I simply pointed out there are techniques in Xara that allow a step and repeat capability, which is only fair.
    The OP didn't state "I want ... as in CorelDraw"; Gary mentioned a last step and repeating that function.

I have CorelDraw and I have Adobe Creative Cloud and a clutch of other packages, free and bought, so I am aware of and use macro capabilities in many forms and even use one to drive CC ArtWorks (Xara's ancestral root) from BBC Basic.

I genuinely believed the OP wanted to step in a direction and repeat the object stepped from (as in Xara) and not in Gary's or your interpretation but I am happy to be corrected further.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Proper step and repeat requires a dialog box for setting the options at the time of doing the functions, as well as the simple repeat function that Gary mentions.

Being able to specify both horizontal and vertical offsets at the time of the step and repeat, which often differ, is different than Xara's method. Having to open the option dialog to set one value, perform a series of dups, open the options dialog, change the value to a new one and do the dup, is far from efficient. And then hope one doesn't need to redo it if it doesn't "repeat" properly.

Acorn,

I did write:
    Though I did mention CD explicitly...

It seems you fixated on my use of CorelDraw as an example. So how about this, every single other vector drawing application I use (which is a broad spectrum) and most every layout application I use have the same/similar step and repeat function. I could list them all so I don't single out CD, but as you use some of them you should get the picture.

This function in those applications also have no dependence on macros.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mwenz View Post
    Acorn,

I did write:

Though I did mention CD explicitly...

It seems you fixated on my use of CorelDraw as an example. So how about this, every single other vector drawing application I use (which is a broad spectrum) and most every layout application I use have the same/similar step and repeat function. I could list them all so I don't single out CD, but as you use some of them you should get the picture.

This function in those applications also have no dependence on macros.

Mike
    Mike, I'm glad we're squared away.
    In passing, macros also encompasses procedural macros (or steps).

The reason I enjoy TG is that our collective Weltangschaungen are so varied.

Acorn

I think at one time Corel (and I have not worked in Corel for around 20 years now) had what they called an Array. So you could repeat multiple operations with a single keystroke. For example, rotating an object around a central point, reducing the size 2%, and changing the color. Something like that. But it was another lifetime ago and what's left of my brain is fuzzy at best.