Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Denim Logo

Default Denim Logo

This was made in Illustrator, using 2 Astute Graphics tools - DenimMaker and Phantasm. I used an Illustrator brush for the pocket seam.
    It's a shame the brush is raster (pixels are for squares).
    It looks better enlarged, you can see the vector texture better.
    Bob.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Denim.jpg 
Views:	671 
Size:	214.3 KB 
ID:	108961  
    Last edited by iamtheblues; 16 July 2015 at 10:14 AM. Reason: Addendum
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.
    IP

Default Re: Denim Logo

There's something really odd about it (apart from my initial expectation to see blue denim).

The texture that the lettering is set on, doesn't match at all the surrounding area with the stitching, so I can't believe what I'm seeing is part of a real pocket patch.

To be fair, the stitching of the patch is really well done and it took me a long time to decide if that was a photograph or not, so the whole thing confuses me a little.

My first impression was that the stitched part was a photograph, with only the middle bit created.

Name:	Denim.jpeg 
Views:	523 
Size:	37.8 KB 
ID:	108962   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Denim2@2x.jpeg 
Views:	485 
Size:	26.2 KB 
ID:	108963  

IP

Thanks Paul, you're really very good at criticism. (no criticism intended)

"It's a shame the brush is raster (pixels are for squares)." This is why I made the comment in my original post.
    If you know how to make a vector brush out of the main vector texture I'd be glad to know.
    There is actually a Webinar this afternoon from Astute Graphics, so I'll raise the question there and hopefully get some feedback.
    Bob.
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.
    IP

"It's a shame the brush is raster (pixels are for squares)." This is why I made the comment in my original post.

Sorry, I still don't get what you meant - I assumed it was a dig that it wasn't vector.

If you know how to make a vector brush out of the main vector texture I'd be glad to know.

Not me.

There is actually a Webinar this afternoon from Astute Graphics, so I'll raise the question there and hopefully get some feedback.
    OK.

I'm still slightly perplexed as to what exactly I am seeing! The fact that I wonder is a compliment (I think).

It's easier to criticise something sometimes than praise it. I would do you a disservice to say the patch looks great when the issues jump out at me.

If I wanted a patch with lettering on, I'd have created the stitching and overlayed the stitching alone onto a photograph. Your downfall in my mind is that the texture of the denim behind the letters doesn't match the denim of the patch stitching.

Did you make the stitching around the patch?
    IP

Hi Paul, I've attached a different version in traditional blue denim, with also traditional orange stitching for the text.
    The stitching on the periphery of the pocket is an integral part of the brush and I can only adjust the hue, saturation etc. of the whole of this element.
    This is why I want to create a vector brush, but I consider my skills in Illustrator to be only at beginner/intermediate level at present.
    Bob.

Name:	Denim 2.jpg 
Views:	554 
Size:	152.4 KB 
ID:	108965  
    IP

Unfortunately the blue accentuates the contrast between the two denim textures.

The edge stitching is amazing.

The lettering doesn't quite fool the eye because the colour is uniform and real stitches would have some clue that they go into the material.

I applaud you for trying this.
    IP

Thanks, Paul. I agree with what you say about the difference between the two textures.
    I'll need to work on the lettering, which is just a dashed line, it will need to be expanded so I can add shadows and transparencies to obtain a stitching effect.
    I'll also need to bone up on making pattern brushes.
    Bob.
    IP

OK, here's my latest (and hopefully final) version of a denim texture. Made in Illustrator, without the DenimMaker plugin, and making use of the Mesh Tool.
    Also with much help from the guys at Astute Graphics.
    EDIT: Second illustration added.
    Bob.

Name:	Denim.jpg 
Views:	526 
Size:	253.5 KB 
ID:	109071   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Denim002.jpg 
Views:	560 
Size:	252.9 KB 
ID:	109072  

Last edited by iamtheblues; 22 July 2015 at 07:33 PM. Reason: add graphic
    IP

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Nicely done!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.
    IP

The denim texture came out great Bob.Of the two I prefer the second one.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.
    IP