Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Like you my machine crashes/is upgrded and needs a rebuild every now and then, but hopeful only every six months maximum. If more than that I think you need to worry about more than the number of patches on Xara.

When I rebuild my machine I have a list of modem drivers, graphics card drivers, sound card drivers etc etc. It is a fact of life that we need patches.

I know you don't need to know how good xara are, but all I can say is I ordered it Monday got it Yesterday (ok I'm in the UK) and already have patched the 1.0c version up to 1.0d.

Fact of life.

Turan

PS Thanks to Xara for speedy delivery.

Minimiro

You only need ONE patch, the latest patch will deal with ALL CD versions of Xara X.

Also any possible future patches would be intended to upgrade ALL previous versions of Xara X to the latest version, So you should NEVER need multiple patch files.

The download version of Xara X ( Currently 1.0c DL2 ) has a trial period of only 30 days, and so I would expect most, but not all, people using and talking about Xara X would have the CD version.

Mark Goodall
    Xara Ltd

Minimoro,

You have every right to expect Xara to seriously consider your proposal. But then you should also expect Xara to quite reasonably double or triple the retail price of Xara X. There is no such thing as a freeway. It all costs. The $150 we spend on this program is not pure profit for Xara. I suspect we might be surprised at how small the profit might be.

I intend absolutely no disrespect or insult towards you but let me speak plainly. You are not ready to give Xara your money just because you think they are a great group of people and Xara does not invest their time and money just because they want to help people with their graphic work. You want a decent program and Xara wants your money. Well, Xara X *is* a decent program and they do not ask for a lot of your money. The majority of alternative programs are considerably more expensive but still do not address your primary complaint in the manner you wish.

Like you I was not happy with the bugs in the first release so I waited. When version c was available it still had a few problems but was good enough so that I spent my money. By all means insist upon perfection. Just be prepared to grow old while waiting.

I grew up in a very poor family so to some extent I can appreciate the problems imposed by such low wages. On the other hand, if I only had a $100 a month I probably wouldn't have a computer and certainly would be much more concerned about putting food on the table than buying a computer program.

Life was never fair and each of us is reduced to coping as best we can. Those who accept that not everything is possible tend to cope more happily.

Again, I wish no insult towards you. I'm only giving the frank answer you appear to want. Unfortunately, such answers are often unpleasant.

how you deal with operating systems ...

latest patch for Win2k is 101MB .... you can BUY the patch and get a CD or download it... Whatever you do, you have to install Win2K, then the patch, then hotfixes. Price of that OS is not too shabby as well.

Although I dont like Winblows that much, but other operating systems are not better as well in this regard.

You probably havent dealt with some pretty expensive software as well where go get neither support nor patched versions on CD.

From i.e. Adobe from which I own Framemaker and Acrobat, I only get answers when I complain at their headquarters .... They are certainly not cheap as well (and I cant recall having ever received patched Framemaker CDs [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img])

juergen

And are you going to download the patch for your (cracked avvcourse) DRAW10 too?

I know (quote): "If you don't know, here in Bulgaria was recepted one law... If you want to sell me somekind of software you must make it on my official language - Bulgarian, for other languages on software that I use you can't tach me with finger!!!"

I for one wouldn't touch you with one finger, not even with gloves!

[This message was edited by Erik Heyninck on May 25, 2001 at 01:18.]

Erik,
    C`est clair pour moi que tu ne comprends pas du tout la question que j`ai posee et c`est pourquoi tu ne peux pas me donner une reponse qui contient un peu de sens, alors la seule chose que te reste a faire c`est de corriger mon anglais. Maintenant je crois que tu dois etre content du fait que j`ecris en francais (j`espere que tu comprends cette langue, on parle le francais en Belgique, n`est-ce pas?).
    Ma question etait tres simple: " Pourquoi les deux versions sont differentes l`une de l`autre?"
    Est-ce que Xara croit que ce qu`elle a represente sur Internet peut convaincre tous les gens qui l`ont vu que cette version vaut la peine de l`acheter? Est-ce que l`equipe de Xara croit que quand quelqu`un voie les erreurs dans cette version, il va donner son argent? Ou bien c`est mieux pour eux de representer leur meilleure version et de faire de sorte qu`elle soit(si tu ne comprends pas bien cette forme grammaticale je peux te renseigner que c`est le subjonctif! T`inquiete pas, je sais que c`est difficile pour vous!!!) disponible pour tous.
    En ce qui concerne DRAW 10 je l`utilise uniquement pour pouvoir ouvrir les fichiers apportes par des clients bornes qui ne comprennent grand-chose de logiciels graphiques et n`utilisent que DRAW (comme toi). Par rapport la proposition que tu m`a faite(est-ce que je dois t`expliquer ca aussi?), je parle de la mise a jour du DRAW, je te remercie grandement mais je refuse parce que je ne l`apprecie pas du tout.
    Et pour finir je veux te rassurer(et j`espere que tu vas dormir tranquillement)que ma copie de WINDOWS est legale!

P.S. J`espere que tu corrigeras mes fautes de francais de la meme maniere habile que tu as utilisee pour verifier et corriger mes fautes d`anglais!

P.S. Je regrette si tu te sens decu de la version pleine de fautes que tu as achetee! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Mon clavier ne supporte pas l`alphabet francais, c`est pourquoi il n`y a pas d`accents dans ma reponse mais je suis sure que tu sais ou ils doivent etre poses, de toute facon je pense pas que ca vaut la peine d`installer l`alphabet francais pour pouvoir te repondre tout a fait correctement. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

IF ERIK WANTS HE COULD TRANSLATE YOU MY WORDS WITH HIS ENGLISH WHICH IS MUCH BETTER THAN MINE.
    [A]bort? [R]etry? or [S]elf distruct

minimiro.com

When finally you have a complete version of Xara X will all licensed users receive a copy of it or they will continue to use the install from CD + some patch from Internet?

Pour Erik:

Est-ce que j`ai ecrit correctement la phrase au-dessus? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    [A]bort? [R]etry? or [S]elf distruct

minimiro.com