Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default PDF font quirk in Photo & Graphic Designer 11?

I have been using XDPX10 and and its predecessors for many years, and am now using P&GD11, as the former really exceeded my needs, which are adequately covered by the latter.

When importing a PDF into P&GD11, I saw a window warning me about fonts not installed. I was surprised because this as a routine task which I have been doing ±100 times a year for the past 5 years, using PDFs which I had created myself on the same desktop PC from Excel sheets.

I then immediately started XDPX10, and imported the same PDF and, as before, there was no font warning. This is expected behaviour, as the font always has been installed in my Windows (7, home premium) font folder.

Is there a setting I've missed in P&GD11?

I attach window clips showing the P&GD11 warning window (which does obviously not appear in XPDX10), and the Document Info windows from both versions.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P&GD11 warning.png 
Views:	141 
Size:	31.8 KB 
ID:	108939
    P&GD11 warning window

Name:	P&GD11.png 
Views:	134 
Size:	37.1 KB 
ID:	108940
    P&GD11 Document info

Name:	XDPX10.png 
Views:	120 
Size:	32.3 KB 
ID:	108941
    XPDX10 Document info
    Anton

Default Re: PDF font quirk in Photo & Graphic Designer 11?

There has been an important upgrade in the PDF filter in the way fonts are being used and read and it is this that causes the garbage to be flung at you. Maybe one of the developers will be along and explain it better than me but that is what I think. I got that one +Google Fonts were not installed! All they say in the release at Xara.com is the following, "Fonts will look correct in exported documents where fonts are missing if outlines are embedded (for example from imported PDFs, most of which include embedded character outlines)"
    Design is thinking made visual.