Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Filter Forge and Xara

Hi
    Having watched the super tutorials by Angelize I bought the basic Filter Forge 4.
    I can't get Xara to link to it from the FX button in the way that it is shown in the tutorial on its use.
    I am using Designer Pro X.
    I have successfully installed it with Corel Painter X3, Corel Paintshop ProX6, Photoshop Elements11 and CS2 but my most used is Xara and would like to have it available there. I've tried installing it with 'host specific' ticked and unticked.
    Any help will be appreciated.
    IP

Default Re: Filter Forge and Xara

just to check - did you click 'apply' button on the options effects & plugins tab, after adding the folder - I seem to remember it may not pick the folder up if you just click 'ok'
    IP

I think this may be something to do with your version of DPX. It may not work with 64bit, but 32 should be ok.
    Bob.
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.
    IP

Hi
    I've double checked ticking 'apply' and have tried unsuccessfully to install it in the 32bit version.
    I've tried various places to put the folder containing the two files and entered that in the setup plugins tab with and without ticking the box for host specifics.

The programme finds other plugins in the same folders each time but filter forge is playing hard to get.
    It works nicely in my other graphics programmes but of them all, for what I use it for, Xara is the best.
    IP

You can use Filter Forge as a stand-alone program, as I'm sure you know. Once you have worked on your textures in Filter Forge, you can import the raster results into XDP.
    I downloaded the trial version of P&GD11 to test it out. I use a very old version of Paintshop Pro (8) as my plugin folder and point Xara at that.
    After working on a texture in FilterForge using P&GD11 (32 bit) and pressing apply, the texture reopens in Xara with no problems. I know that in the 64bit XDP 10 that it will crash using Filter Forge.
    Bob.
    EDIT: Apologies, you have to lock the bitmap effect before using the texture, or it will indeed crash...
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.
    IP

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Hi Frightful I'm glad you enjoyed my tutorials
    First after you install Filter Forge you just need to point Xara to the plugin folder with in the Filter forge installation Don't move it anywhere it needs to stay where Filter forge installs it. The path to this folder should look something like this: C:\Program Files (x86)\Filter Forge 4\Plugin

As for 64 bit Designer Pro X (which was really version 8) does not have a 64 bit version. And even if you do upgrade to a new version of Xara that does Filter Forge should run just fine and you still only need to point Xara to the plugin folder. The x64 folder within the plugin folder just contains a bridge that allows the 32 bit Filter Forge plug in to run in a 64 bit environment.

And when you use filter forge as a plug in with Xara there are two things to keep in mind:

1. The issue still exists where errors and crashes will occur if you don't lock the effect so make sure you always lock the effect as soon as it has finished rendering.

2. Not all Filters in the Library are Xara friendly It depends on how they have been built. However they can be modified if you have a version of FF that allows you to access the Filter editor. I thought I did a tutorial on that but I can't find it. Basically You need to bring the selected object in Xara into filterforge as an external image and then you need to use a couple more components to apply an alpha transparency and clip the effect.

Lastly I'm going to move this thread into the Xara compatible Plug ins Forum
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.
    IP

Hi
    Thanks for your input everyone.
    @ Angelize... I now have it up and running thanks to your advice on the folder for the plugin.
    For the record I am using Designer Pro X10 not Pro X. ( I never did understand the version names !) which of course we have in both 32 bit and 64 bit. The Filter Forge works with both versions.
    The effect seems to be automatically locked by the time it comes back to Xara. To avoid complications I did all my tests on original photographs with no effects done in Xara. That comes next.
    Thanks again, you've made an old man happy.
    David
    IP

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Hi David I'm glad it all worked out. I agree the names are confusing so I just drop the X and say DP 10. Also In all of my testing I've never had it automatically lock the effect so do be sure and check to make sure it's locked

I have been in touch with support from both programs and I'm currently told that the issue is on Xara's end so perhaps once DP11 is out the Xara Developers will have time to work on it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.
    IP

Utilities>>options>effects and plugins

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	effects locked.jpg 
Views:	664 
Size:	40.4 KB 
ID:	108951
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64
    IP

I have no experience with 'locked' effects. It was when I went to lock it that I found it was already locked. ( see the status line )
    I've just run through it again and in case I am missing something, attach the image that came back from Filter Forge with no further input from me.
    All in all an interesting exercise.
    David
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	live-effect.jpg 
Views:	583 
Size:	91.7 KB 
ID:	108952
    IP