Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Xara doesn't have this feature - any workaround?

This is another example of where the ability to add user-written modules/extensions to Xara would be really useful. Nobody would expect Xara to be all things to all people, but I imagine there are lots of forum-goers who would be able to produce Python (Ruby, whatever) scripts to do this-or-that additional thing that serves their own purpose and might help someone else as well. SketchUp does it, Chrome and other browsers do it, and it's enormously useful.

I accept that there are usually other applications which can do those other bits'n'bobs, but they don't have Xara's fabulously intuitive UI - and we'd have to buy another whole application.
    Anton

No the only thing that Xara can do is to display a spreadsheet from google docs through an I frame using a widget. Really I keep saying this to you get a DTP programme that could do that task you showed in in your first post without you spending the money for PS. Look if a wee girl can do a mail merge in an office using "Word" surely you could do the same. It's the same with using PS as all that your left with there is a whole load of cards/files with pictures. In that tut they suggested you save it as a web album all that gives you is a bit of html code stuck on the file header but you have got to place those files inside a web page which would be a static web page.

If it going to be a static web page that means yes you can use Xara for the publishing of that static web page. Now there's plenty free DTP programmes out there and the best one is Scribus. It has a mail merge facility but as well as that it has a scripting plugin engine which could make your web page interactive as you describe in #post10. I wouldn't know how to integrate that into html as I haven't used Scribus more than a DTP programme in an old computer. Another option here is to use Scribus and save doc, as PDF then import the PDF into Xara, make footers and headers and publish this as a static web page. All that seems a bit messy to me, jumping from one to another why not just use one programme, and in this thread I have mentioned 2 to you already Serif's PagePlus/M.soft's Front Page. Serifs is by far the cheapest and easiest to use but like Xara it will be static.

Come on now it's make your mind up time you have all the info to do the job try/buy one and get on with it.
    Design is thinking made visual.

Quote Originally Posted by Albacore View Post
    ...get a DTP programme...
    Can one do what OP asked with Xara's "Page & Layout Designer 10"? I'm not being cynical -- I'd just rather be able to do stuff using Xara's UI, because it's so good. This page does say "...it's the best software for all your DTP and document creation needs!"
    Anton

Xara doesn't have automation, or any form of mail merge.