Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Need some guideiance trying to learn this program

Hi All,

I am a new comer Loriblackdog who had joined a computer club and in that club this lady told me about Xara..I was quite interested in learning this. I had taken a course but it was so fast paced I couldn't keep up. In the class she showed us how to import, make changes add color, fill, and how to shade, blend, mask and a few other things. I learned just enough to open a new project, then I am lost. I found this stencil that was done in metal, I have a wood carving machine however the program is very unforgiven to beginners, so I thought if I could make a stencil then I could download to my machine and then carve? I am not sure this can be done but would like to learn how to create this in Xara. I have attached a copy of what I am trying to do. I would greatly appreciate it if someone could help me or send me to where I can learn this. I greatly appreciate your help in this matter.

Thank you
    Loriblackdog::
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FSCN0033.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	105.7 KB 
ID:	108775  

Default Re: Need some guideiance trying to learn this program

Welcome to TG Loriblackdog. Basically you have two questions:

1. How to draw it in Xara. As it's for a cutter I expect you can only use vector shapes NOT bitmaps. See the attached video.
    2. Can the final file be used by your wood cutting machine. I can't answer that question. What file types does your cutter require?

Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

I know I cannot be the only person.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	see attached video.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	37.5 KB 
ID:	108776  

@Gary,

I see the video fine.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TG Eggs video.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	79.5 KB 
ID:	108777

John

I can see it fine too Gary ... Looks like you may be the only person ..
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Strange that John & Kieth have no issue viewing the YouTube video but you do Gary. I'm puzzled. I thought it may be the way YouTube delivers content perhaps from mirror sites, but considering both John & Keith are Canada located I don't think this can be the cause. I know you've had problems in the past not being able to view videos that YT has had loaded for several hours, but unfortunately I can't say why
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Hi Egg,
    Just a few more questions. Is there any tutorials that will help me learn, the basic stuff like you showed me? I really liked the way you use the shift key and different keys to use the tools. Also can you send me a picture of the final stencil that I can use for other projects. I appreciate you taking the time to make that video......Excellent job

Thanks
    Lori

Hi Lori,

Also can you send me a picture of the final stencil that I can use for other projects
    I'm afraid not. TG is here to help members use the software, not do it for them. This may seem harsh but there are too many people out there wanting something done for free.

You didn't answer my other question; what filetypes does your cutter accept?
    Egg

Red face Re: Need some guideiance trying to learn this program

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    Hi Lori,

I'm afraid not. TG is here to help members use the software, not do it for them. This may seem harsh but there are too many people out there wanting something done for free.

You didn't answer my other question; what filetypes does your cutter accept?
    Hi Egg,

I understand, first my wood machine will accept most files such as TIF,JPG,PNG & GIF, I would like to know if there is something on the tutorials that will help me learn the short cuts, like you used? also how did you get the piece started? You show me new page with the picture there and then you show me how to cut the items and move them for future use. Did you just draw according to what I sent? I am very willing to learn but need that little extra care in explaining. Thank you you, have been awesome.

Lori

I understand, first my wood machine will accept most files such as TIF,JPG,PNG & GIF,
    Sorry Lori, I just don't understand this. All those file-types are bitmaps. I can't understand how a wood cutter can work with bitmaps. Bitmaps are just rectangles. Even if it cut to various depths depending on contrast etc it would still be fairly useless. What's the make/model of your woodcutter?
    Egg