Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Need some guideiance trying to learn this program

Hi Egg,
    It is a carvewright, what happens is you open up new page import picture, which is then made into their program. The problem is their program in not very userfriendly, I have found if I can make my own stencil, then load it to the machine, then I can do the I can choose my depths to carve. I am probably not explaining it right? My concern is learning the shortcuts (is there like a cheat sheet?). I am able to get my copy to show the oval, 2 lines & text. However I am having a little trouble with the star & tree, They seem to come out different sizes? With Xara I can really dial in to what I want it to look like. That is why I am asking about the tutorials. I know just enough to be dangerous. Thanks again for your time you have been very good in showing me the steps.

Lori

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    I know I cannot be the only person.
    Are you still using Waterfox? I wonder if that could be at least part of the problem. Can you normally view youtube videos?
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Like nearly all of these machines they mostly only use DFX file types for vector input but these are add-ons that this company sells. Also I think there is a PDF add-on as well.
    http://www.carvewright.com/assets/se...tart_Guide.pdf
    Design is thinking made visual.

Well I suppose a high resolution png would suffice.
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

I got this info from the Carvewright software manual PDF.

The CarveWright Designer Software has the ability to import images in to the software so that they can be used

as patterns on the board. The image files are converted to gray-scale where a heightmap is determined for each
    pixel. The darker a pixel, the less it is carved. The lighter the pixel, the more it is carved. This can be changed
    by inverting the image. Here is a list of the image file types that can be imported into the software:
    Bitmap (*.BMP)
    Joint Photographic Experts Group (*.JPG, *.JPEG)
    Portable Network Graphics (*.PNG)
    Multiple-image Network Graphics (*.MNG)
    Graphical Interchange Format (*.GIF)
    XPixMap (*.XPM)

The CarveWright Designer Software can import images in to the software. These files

are raster images that can not be enlarged without pixelization or loss of image quality. As
    a pattern is zoomed in upon, The pixel that make up the image will become more apparent.
    Vector images are not capable of being imported into the software but can be created in

the software by using the vector drawing tools (see Drawing Tools on page 54 for more information).
    Vector drawings can be zoomed in to the maximum view with no loss of quality.

I found the movies in 'Help' was the best way to start and then progressed to those on the web.

Thanks for the clarification Mike. Strange the software isn't capable of vector import.
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Strange the software isn't capable of vector import.
    There is a add -on DXF file importer for vector line drawings, but porting Xara to DXF is another problem.
    The bitmap route will work but its a top down thing, Xara is very capable of producing the height maps via gray scale and blends.

Just to give you an idea of how an Xara drawing could be used as a height map to cut a 3D relief. I did this border design quickly in Xara, I use a simple linear fill on each triangle black to white. I imported this file into a 3D modeling application and simulated how the design would appear if cut into a piece of wood.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	border.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	28.6 KB 
ID:	108873   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wood cut.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	43.0 KB 
ID:	108874  

stencilalmostdone.xarstencilalmostdone.xarHi all,

You guys are talking way over my head????? I no clue how the carvewright works, I just know it is not user friendly. Egg, I will just keep replaying you video and writing down directions so I can try to use at later point. Like I said, I know just enough to make me dangerous. I will keep plugging away. I have gotten to this point, need to learn the fine tuning on my stars and trees. Thanks again

Loriblackdog