Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Xara 64bits?

Default Xara 64bits?

Is there any plan to release a truly 64bits version of Xara Designer Pro?
    X10 uses CamBridge32.exe which may cause a bottle neck making difficult the edition of medium to large documents.
    Thank you

Default Re: Xara 64bits?

I think the cambridge32.exe has to do with running 32-bit plug-ins with the 64-bit versions of Xara products.

that is also my understanding... it enables the 32bit plugins to be run in the 64bit environment.. if there is a bottleneck here it is caused by the plugin, not xara designer
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Then I assume it can be turned off when no 32bits plugin is in use.
    Do you know a simple way to make it? May be there is a configuration file where you can remove the 32 bits support.

I have it on good authority that this is a bridge between 32bit plugins and the 64bit program - it may be running as a process, but if you are not using 32bit plugins it won't actually be doing anything so in what way do you think this is a problem? - no one is saying that cambridge32.exe is itself a 32bit program, that's not what the '32' means that refers to its usage AFAIK
    Nothing lasts forever...

Hello handrawn. cambridge32.exe is itself a 32bit program, you can check it with the task manager.
    The problem using 32 and 64 bit application comes from the sequential architecture of Windows.
    Some users may not experience issues, but with high demand applications as Xara, you can expect them, specially with complex works. Xara suffered such kind of problems two versions ago, complex files got corrupted, there was a tool to partially rescue them. I stopped using it since then.

May you ask for a safe way to turn ambridge32.exe off?

Write to Xara and ask them.

I don't really see what the fuss is about.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon2099 View Post
    Hello handrawn. cambridge32.exe is itself a 32bit program, you can check it with the task manager.
    The problem using 32 and 64 bit application comes from the sequential architecture of Windows.
    Some users may not experience issues, but with high demand applications as Xara, you can expect them, specially with complex works. Xara suffered such kind of problems two versions ago, complex files got corrupted, there was a tool to partially rescue them. I stopped using it since then.

May you ask for a safe way to turn ambridge32.exe off?
    ok but even if it is 32bit you need to be asking Xara, like Mike says - raise a support ticket if you think you have a potential issue, it's a question for xara technicians
    Nothing lasts forever...

cambridge32.exe is needed for Xara V10 64bit to work properly. It won't run without it.

As Handrawn has said: bridge between 32bit plugins and the 64bit program

If there is something wrong with your file, send a ticket using the link below and tell us exactly what is wrong so we can see what is happening.

http://support.xara.com/

Thanks
    Rob

I did not contact Xara's support because I am playing with the trial version, not to mention TalkGraphics forum is faster and a more reliable source.
    My previous experience with Xara and Windows tells cambridge32.exe is a design mistake.
    I will wait to test version 11
    Thank you very much.