Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

xdp6 Data Merge Wishlist?

Hi

I wonder if anybody has discovered a feature, or if they know of any future plans to include a date merge feature to Designer?

I currently design labels for customers for products that require ingredients and/or health and safety information. If that information changes, I then have to go through each design and change the information. However, if that information was pulled in from a database/spreadsheet or something similar it would help no end!!

Maybe something for a wishlist ?

Comments gratefully received. Not planning to go outside of Xara if I can help it. Thank you.

Default Re: Data Merge Wishlist?

Don't know what version or actual Xara application you use.

Have you tried having one master label, say in the upper left, then make all the others live copies? You only have to make a single edit, the others update automatically.

I do almost every merge in other applications--they are more extensive. However, I do one set of food labeling in XDP. It's a jar, product label on the front and nutritional label on the backside. The live copy works for me in this instance.

Mike

Welcome to TalkGraphics. I'm going to move this thread to the Dear Xara forum which is better for feature requests.

Do you have any experience with JSON and Ajax?
    Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Acorn, this ain't about web stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by mwenz View Post
    Acorn, this ain't about web stuff.
    JSON is a mechanism to store structured data, "...a database/spreadsheet or something similar...". It can be used on a local filestore.
    Equally, Ajax can take this data and put it into a Placeholder (crude) or with some jQuery replace the contents of a named ID.

As far as I know the Xara engine doesn't care about how the objects are created, it is only the final out that matters.
    The closest analogy I can think of in the document domain is page numbering, limited from Xara, but with CSS styling, jQuery and a few other tricks I can achieve Chapter, Section, Page references to my own rules.

I also tried to keep the approach to within the bounds of Xara alone.

A CMS would do the same job and probably better.
    I could throw something together with Wordpress (but that's webbie).

I have used a post processor, hand-coded REBOL to copy a Xara page and replace named text areas with live data.

Where there's a tool, try it.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

All commendable.

I think I would rather pay $20 to obtain PagePlus X7, get my XDP label design into it via PDF, and do a merge on a CSV in 20 minutes. 15 minutes of which would be downloading and installing PP.

I believe the request is a good request for persons desiring to have a merge facility in XDP akin to the one in CorelDraw. Even though I have CorelDraw, I'll do label (and other) merges in different applications. But the data merge in CD does work fine.

All commendable.

I think I would rather pay $20 to obtain PagePlus X7, get my XDP label design into it via PDF, and do a merge on a CSV in 20 minutes. 15 minutes of which would be downloading and installing PP.

I believe the request is a good request for persons desiring to have a merge facility in XDP akin to the one in CorelDraw. Even though I have CorelDraw, I'll do label (and other) merges in different applications. But the data merge in CD does work fine.
    All appreciated.
    I personally use MS Excel or MS Access and Mail Merge into MS Word as I have control over style and layout and then just copy into Xara or add the Xara label as an MS Word background.

I took it as a "what can I do with just Xara (and free tools)".

Acorn

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    All appreciated.
    I personally use MS Excel or MS Access and Mail Merge into MS Word as I have control over style and layout and then just copy into Xara or add the Xara label as an MS Word background.

I took it as a "what can I do with just Xara (and free tools)".

Acorn
    One can argue that while adding JASON, jQuery and REBOL are free, they too are not native to Xara products as would be needed to build a merging interface that integrates into an Xara product--the Xara product being a mere shell to hold outside programming languages at that point.

For professional print to exacting color demands, I would charge extra if you handed me a print PDF made from Word and likely MS Publisher if one didn't know how to get accurate color from Publisher.

I don't want to keep hammering on this point. It's a valid request made by the OP. XDP cannot handle thisnatively. No matter what free "tools" you find doesn't negate the fact that Xara products cannot currently do this.

And beside, $20 to get the job done? My time shoe-horning a web interface into XDP is worth far more than $20 to end up with professional quality output.

One can argue that while adding JASON, jQuery and REBOL are free, they too are not native to Xara products as would be needed to build a merging interface that integrates into an Xara product--the Xara product being a mere shell to hold outside programming languages at that point.

For professional print to exacting color demands, I would charge extra if you handed me a print PDF made from Word and likely MS Publisher if one didn't know how to get accurate color from Publisher.

I don't want to keep hammering on this point. It's a valid request made by the OP. XDP cannot handle thisnatively. No matter what free "tools" you find doesn't negate the fact that Xara products cannot currently do this.

And beside, $20 to get the job done? My time shoe-horning a web interface into XDP is worth far more than $20 to end up with professional quality output.
    Never took your views to be "hammering" in any way. All of these views are valid but why would Xara go out of its way to create something if it was already available for $20. If a client has the need for such a capability, I would pass that cost on after I bought PagePlus. Everyone would benefit. All I can find, however, is PagePlus X8 at £90 ($140 USD) and I would need convincing to install a Serif product having not enjoyed the experience previously to find that I couldn't get accurate colours without a steep learning curve. To my mind, there is a comparable cost involved here.

As I like a challenge, I am currently downloading Serif's PagePlus Starter Edition (free) to see what it offers.

Wish me luck,
    Acorn