Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default XDPX10 Installation error codes -1 and -59 - after backup/recovery on new SSD

As requested, I have reposted my question here. I have seen other posts about the same problem, but not a solution.

I had to replace my HD (drive C) with OS and programs, so I installed an SSD and used backup and recovery (Acronis) to reinstate my C drive with the Windows 7 64bit OS and all programs. Almost everything worked except Magix programs and Xara Designer Pro X10 (which worked fine before). I was able to uninstall and reinstall the Magix programs with no problems, including Xara DPX9 32 bit, but not DPX10 32 or 64 bit. At the end of the install process there is a message "The program could not be started. The installation folder may be damaged. Reinstalling.....contact support.. Error code: -1." It seemed to have been installed and when I ran it I got the same message but with "Error code: -59" as did Poouster.

I tried FIX-IT as suggested by Rob-XARA in one post. No success. I tried the downloaded install files and the ones received on CD. No success.

I opened a ticket with Xara. Uninstalled & reinstalled X10, with and without anti-virus and firewall program enabled. Used Revo Uninstall as well to make sure that there were no remnants of X10 left (there were). Used new 32 and 64 bit files from Xara support. No success and haven't heard back from Xara for a week and I'm getting concerned.

I do not have speech recognition software enabled as far as I know, and certainly not the Windows speech recognition software.

One suggestion was that I had exceeded my allowed number of installs. I had only installed XDPX10 64 bit once before on the same computer (and never 32 bit), so I doubt that I exceeded the limit, and Xara support would likely have mentioned it. XDPX10 failed to work after recovery, so I uninstalled and reinstalled it to no avail. Note that the install never completely finishes; it gives me the -1 error at the end of the install process, before loading Xara and Xara does not load.

Has anyone who has had this problem been able to resolve it, and how?

Thanks,
    John

Default Re: XDPX10 Installation error codes -1 and -59 - after backup/recovery on new SSD

ok

I have had problems with restoring magix/xara programs from images before now; it's something I do a lot of because of the way I sandbox my systems

by and large acronis [I currently use true image 2014] is fine on windows 8.1 , but I do recall problems on win7 but I think from memory it was with ToDo not Acronis on that occasion

as far as I recall it was fixed by increasing the activation count - I put it down to the imaging having corrupted the xara validation routine, but that was never verified and if it is 'corruption' it may not happen every time

when you imaged did you encrypt?

also it is worth making absolutely sure that there is not a problem with internet access localised to dpx10
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Default Re: XDPX10 Installation error codes -1 and -59 - after backup/recovery on new SSD

I used Backup & recovery, not a true image, as this was the recommended method. Thus, there was no encrypting, no iso.

There shouldn't be any problem with internet access as I am always connected. Is there something else that I should check (I'm not sure what you mean by internet access localised to dpx10)?

I think that I ran the install program As Administrator (even though I'm the Admin) at least once. I'll try that again but with the install program sent to me by Xara.

Any other suggestions?

Slightly OT but on the subject of activations and for those who have not seen this:

Magix has implemented a new activation scheme and what they call a Device Management program with the newer programs. We can probably expect Xara to implement this in the next version.
    You may install the program on as many computers/devices as you want, but it will only work on one at a time with one device change allowed per month.
    As well and unless they changed this recently, there is a monthly activation check which looks just like an activation. The serial number comes up on the screen and you just have to click on Activate.
    Lastly, after installing a patch, an activation is required. Again the serial number appears on the screen.
    There is no limit to the number of activations, only device changes (once per month).

Thanks,
    John

thanks for that

so how exactly does such work for those of us running their drawing programs on machines not [usually if at all] connected to the internet? - what do they mean by 'device change' - this is just me being rhetorical, don't expect you to be able to answer this browj2

by localised I mean the program is blocked by policy in a firewall or such - trouble is there are several executives involved, not just the one .EXE

ok acronis backup and recovery should work of course [as should true image], but I have no faith in the magix activation method used up to now, I am really glad they are changing it and hopefully it will work better; don't get this sort hassle with any other programs that I use

I don't think it coincidence that it was only magix/xara programs that didn't work out of the box after the restore - I'd chase up xara if I were you; it is their problem it really should not happen; good luck
    Nothing lasts forever...

I recently installed a 240 SSD as my 120 SSD was almost 95% used. Both are produced by Kingston. I had great difficulty using Kingstons supplied "disc cloning" software (can't remember it's name now), however I retried using Aomei Partition software (free) and it went sweetly with no issues so PERHAPS it's a failing of Acronis software. Can you try it again using Aomei software and see if this makes a difference?
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

for the record - I found the log - it was todo I had issues with, not acronis ...
    Nothing lasts forever...

@Egg,
    Thanks for the suggestion but as Handrawn indicated, he had issues with a different software. It would be a huge undertaking to do it all again, so I'd rather not. I replaced my C drive because of a message that it was failing.

I looked at my Magix software that I had not yet uninstalled/reinstalled. Trying to run one gives me a similar message to the one for Xara, but with an error code: -6. Reinstalling the program resolved the issue, but not with Xara. Xara still fails at the end of the first install process.

@handrawn: About the new Magix device management: a device is a computer and you will see what this means in the images below. The program also detects a hardware change. You have to connect to the internet at least once a month, or when the software says it wants to check the license. You can't go any further without doing so. BTW, I thought that the Gallery in X10 was web based and that you had to be connected to the internet to get it. Never tried it without being connected.

Magix has received complaints that the one month turnaround is too long. One week would be more acceptable.

Here are the images of the Device Management screens.
    Hardware change detection and check license screen:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AML2014 - Hardware change1.jpg 
Views:	313 
Size:	37.8 KB 
ID:	106046

Device management:

Name:	AML2014 - Hardware change2a.jpg 
Views:	584 
Size:	103.1 KB 
ID:	106047

Name:	AML2014 - Hardware change3a.jpg 
Views:	260 
Size:	110.7 KB 
ID:	106048

Name:	AML2014 - Hardware change4a.jpg 
Views:	198 
Size:	56.6 KB 
ID:	106049

thanks again for that clarification - if it only needs to check the licence when a device has been changed that's fine by me - but if it wants to check regardless once a month, and if this means in effect you cannot run the program at work and home [for example] over the same period, though not of course at the same time, then it is not good

I draw with the program, I don't build websites
    Nothing lasts forever...

Update to my DPX10 installation problems. I still can't install X10 either 32 or 64 bit versions. On the good side, I was able to install WD11 and PGD11, so I can see no reason why X10 doesn't install. I will see if X11 installs ok when it comes out.

However, once again, PGD11 does not work properly with Magix Movie Edit Pro or Video Pro X6 or X7. It does not step through the video in animation mode as it is supposed to. I will report this again to both Xara and Magix. The video programs work fine with X9. Why can't Magix and Xara get this right?