Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Backing up Xara Control Bar Layout(s)

Re: Xara Designer Pro X10 on Windows 8.1 Pro MC

Totally new to Xara … coming from Corel Graphics Suite and Dreamweaver. Now that I am experimenting in Xara I am also moving the Control Bars around to find optimal arrangements for workflow on a 27-inch monitor. I would like to backup some of these layouts, what in Corel apps are called 'Workspaces' — not Xara's workspace [!].

I am guessing one place to copy is this Key in the Registry:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Xara\XtremePro x64\10\BarsNormal

Most grateful for confirmation or indication of the correct file, key, etc.

All good wishes ~ Hans-Peter

Default Re: Backing up Xara Control Bar Layout(s)

Welcome to TalkGraphics

I am not sure what you mean by Backing Up. You can reorder some of the tool bar, hold down the Alt key and drag.

There is a utility XaReg http://xara-users.info/xr2help/xr2/XaReg2.zip that lets you make changes to the registry without having to edit the registry directly.

This is an old tutorial but the steps are still the same for creating your own custom tool bars http://www.xaraxone.com/webxealot/workbook24/page_1.htm

Hope this helps

Hello Hans, I would.need to look inside my .reg file to makes sure, but that looks like the key to save out. It's been too long since I last exported the branch to remember for certain and I am away from a computer at the moment.

Mike

Btw, welcome to both the forum and the software.

I found this you tube video on making your own control bars and I think it may be of help to you in how to save your work after you have modified stuff: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDi3...zT6y2-VDnI_ACV

This video may help too, it's by the same guy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pY7...zT6y2-VDnI_ACV
    Last edited by jyoung; 26 June 2015 at 03:04 PM. Reason: additional info
    Joe

This is my third attempt in two days to reply to the posters above. Previous submissions brought the notification that moderators approval would be required to complete the post. Original response follows, but without the attached pic.

To — gwpriester
    mwenz
    jyoung

Thank you all for taking the time to reply and for the kind welcome.

I am grateful for the links to the tutorial and video because they clearly depict the 'Button Palette', an important object thinly described and not illustrated in Xara's PDF Help (p. 583).

In the event, the Key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Xara\XtremePro x64\10\BarsNormal

does register Xara's default and custom Control Bars, their position and content

Evidently this Key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Xara\XtremePro x64\10\BarsFull

extends registration to the Control Bars displayed in Full Screen mode.

Having an Export = backup / copy of these Keys at various stages of experimentation with Xara's interface is good insurance, reference, and, as it turns out, facilitates porting a customized layout to a second Xara installation. Because the placement of multiple Control bars in the 'wasted' space of the interface's Title Bar — with which I am experimenting — is somewhat delicate (see attached screen-shot), this facility is particularly welcome.

Much appreciated and good wishes to all!