Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default #xl_ Link in Anchors???

Hi, can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong. Some anchors that I create end up with the link as below with the #xl bit added in and some are not. When the #xl bit appears the anchor does not link correctly to the section, it takes the page to the correct area but the whole page bounces around, for example if I have an anchor in the the right hand side of page when I click to link to the anchor it centres the whole page and shows the side bars, so the clicked link that should be appearing on the right side of my page is now centred in the middle of computer screen, showing white bars down the side.

mywebsite.com/about.htm#xl_schooluniform

Hopefully you can understand my drivel above, not sure how else to explain it.

I'm using WD11 Premium.

Thanks
    Darren

Default Re: #xl_ Link in Anchors???

Hi Dazzler, your link above just leads to the 1&1 homepage
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by DAZZLER1607 View Post
    Hi, can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong. Some anchors that I create end up with the link as below with the #xl bit added in and some are not. When the #xl bit appears the anchor does not link correctly to the section, it takes the page to the correct area but the whole page bounces around, for example if I have an anchor in the the right hand side of page when I click to link to the anchor it centres the whole page and shows the side bars, so the clicked link that should be appearing on the right side of my page is now centred in the middle of computer screen, showing white bars down the side.

Hopefully you can understand my drivel above, not sure how else to explain it.

I'm using WD11 Premium.

Thanks
    Darren
    How are you creating your anchors? In XWD11P, it is normally providing a Name to an object and in the calling link, using Link to anchor: anchor_name.
    I believe that if you are using a Transitional Supersite where you get the xl_ prefix created as: xl_anchor_name.

I don't know why this is the case or its remedy. Well I do, but the workaround is not particularly brilliant.

Create a small object to place behind the top of the image.
    In its Placeholder HTML code (body) put: <a id="xl_schoolrun">. Keep the image's Name in case you change from a Transitional Supersite.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Hi, sorry I should have made clear the mywebsite.com was just an example address and not mine. Ooops.

I give an item a name then link to it from the menu. The site is not a supersite, it's just a conventional website, that is why I was a bit confused as to what was happening.

http://www.iwasoneofthe45.com/about.htm

Hopefully the example above lets you see where I've gone wrong.

Thank you.
    Darren

Quote Originally Posted by DAZZLER1607 View Post
    Hi, sorry I should have made clear the mywebsite.com was just an example address and not mine. Ooops.

I give an item a name then link to it from the menu. The site is not a supersite, it's just a conventional website, that is why I was a bit confused as to what was happening.

http://www.iwasoneofthe45.com/about.htm

Hopefully the example above lets you see where I've gone wrong.

Thank you.
    Darren
    Darren, the page has no menu or pictures so I cannot help.
    Yes, there are lots of #xl_ anchors but without the Xara source it will be difficult to work out what's amiss.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Acorn - Sorry I didn't reply to this message, have been away for a while.

I'm still having the issue as in the link attached above. There is a menu there 'About Us'. If you click on link that is linking to an 'name' in the same page then the page seems to jump and not keep the webpage centred on the screen. This only happens with the xl links. It has been exported as a conventional website so I'm not sure where I've gone wrong. Your last post asks for the Xara Source - can you tell me how to provide you with this information.

Thank you for any assistance.

Darren

Darren, wouldn't it be better to make sure the images are in place too?

While you're at it, have you updated your application?

I think that Xara has tweaked how it handles Anchors.
    HTML Anchors have always been a vertical displacement of a page.

With the advent of smaller display in SmartPhones, the ability to move sideways too makes reasonable sense.
    So, I believe Xara is now using a JavaScript mechanism to move as close to the Anchor as possible.

In a nutshell, nothing is broken.
    Widen your browser width and Anchors act as you expect.
    Shrink and they twist and jive for you.

Acorn

Acorn - thank you for your quick reply.

I was only showing you an example of the problem not the actual website, the images will be placed once the site is live via a CMS.

I understood when there was an update I was notified by XARA and haven't been notified or asked to update so can I not assume then that I am using an up to date version, if not how can I tell?

I don't want to widen the browser. I haven't had to do this before and it has worked fine, I'm trying to establish where I have gone wrong with this one (as it doesn't happen in all sites) and fix it, should I raise a ticket with Xara for this do you think?

Sorry I meant to ask, where you actually able to see the problem, was the page jumping around?

Edited - checked for updates and I'm up to date.

I can see the page jumping around. Looks similar to a problem I had with the first version of WD11. That problem was partly fixed with a patch. Have you checked for updates (in the help menu)?

Quote Originally Posted by siran View Post
    I can see the page jumping around. Looks similar to a problem I had with the first version of WD11. That problem was partly fixed with a patch. Have you checked for updates (in the help menu)?
    Yes, I checked for updates and it was already up to date. Will keep digging.