Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Unhappy Switched to Designer Pro x10 from x7, all links to pdfs broken!

Pretty upset right now. Got an email from one of my customers (probably biggest customer) that the links to any pdf's on their site didn't work. Only thing that had changed was the last update I did for them (just changing some jpg's on the home page) was done with X10 instead of X7. They have 2 companies and 2 sites selling oil and propane. Checked the other site and all links to pdf's broken also. Probably about 20 broken links in all. Thanks Xara. I have no idea why it wouldn't recognize an existing link, why it deleted an existing file, but it did. Hope no one else has had this problem. Now on to check all my other sites...

Default Re: Switched to Designer Pro x10 from x7, all links to pdfs broken!

Quote Originally Posted by jimhanus View Post
    Pretty upset right now. Got an email from one of my customers (probably biggest customer) that the links to any pdf's on their site didn't work. Only thing that had changed was the last update I did for them (just changing some jpg's on the home page) was done with X10 instead of X7. They have 2 companies and 2 sites selling oil and propane. Checked the other site and all links to pdf's broken also. Probably about 20 broken links in all. Thanks Xara. I have no idea why it wouldn't recognize an existing link, why it deleted an existing file, but it did. Hope no one else has had this problem. Now on to check all my other sites...
    I'm sorry you had to find out from your Customer.

For TGers to help we probably need to understand how you upload changes (Xara, FTP). Were/are the PDFs added in through Xara as links or are these external links to a Folder with PDFs? What is the format of the link? What was the file that was deleted?

As ever, including the design file would lead to a better diagnosis.
    Alternatively, the URLs of the two sites.

We can't restore the reputational damage for this Customer but we might be able to help / advise around your other sites.
    Clearly, you need to determine which contain PDFs as triage.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Acorn,
    Thank you for replying, but the repairs have been done. FYI, the pdf's were added through Xara as links, not external. Not sure what you mean by "what is the format of the link". They were either buttons, or a text word that would open a pdf in a separate window. It was an existing, working, .xar file, uploaded through Xara, not through FTP. Url was www.fosteroil.com and www.blueflamepropaneinc.com. Unfortunately, I didn't waste time trying to figure out why it happened, just fixed it ASAP, but the error was that the file .../index_htm_files/filename.pdf could not be found.

Quote Originally Posted by jimhanus View Post
    Acorn,
    Thank you for replying, but the repairs have been done. FYI, the pdf's were added through Xara as links, not external. Not sure what you mean by "what is the format of the link". They were either buttons, or a text word that would open a pdf in a separate window. It was an existing, working, .xar file, uploaded through Xara, not through FTP. Url was www.fosteroil.com and www.blueflamepropaneinc.com. Unfortunately, I didn't waste time trying to figure out why it happened, just fixed it ASAP, but the error was that the file .../index_htm_files/filename.pdf could not be found.
    Jim, I am sorry you have suffered this, it seems very unusual.
    You should still have a backup preceding your changes.
    My suggestion is to raise a Xara support ticket as they can look at a pre-Xara DPX10 setup, do what you did and work out the issue.

Do it for your own peace of mind and let us know the outcome.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat