Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Creating "view desktop version" link for mobile variants

Hi- Being a newbee to website design, my question might be a basic concept.
    I'm trying to create a "view desktop version" link for mobile variants created in WD 11.
    Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Mike

Default Re: Creating "view desktop version" link for mobile variants

I don't understand why you would ever need to do this?
    It is totally counter productive..

Can you explain your reasoning?

In any case, you cannot. Variants are the same HTML document.

steve is absolutely right. The whole point of a mobile version of your site is that it makes it perfect for viewing and navigating on a mobile device, so by adding a 'desktop' button is implying either that the desktop version is better and more user friendly than the mobile version or it contains something which the mobile version doesn't. Yes you might find some old sites (even from some big names) which do this whole 'visit desktop' version but believe me they are either in the process of changing that or they are completely wrong.
    Flawless Form. Faultless Function. Crafted by Cloud

https://www.cloudwebagency.co.uk

Hi Mike

The script which shows what variant to display is based upon the size of the browser that you are viewing your website on. Whereas you can drag a desktop browser to a smaller or larger window to change variants, you can't do this with mobile devices. All variants of a page are combined one file, hence why you can't link it either.

I can understand the want for a view desktop version button. I myself have found some sites just to be plain nicer on the desktop than mobile to view and read.

I myself have found some sites just to be plain nicer on the desktop than mobile to view and read.
    You must have come across a really badly designed mobile site then Rob, for a mobile site to be worse on a mobile than a desktop site on a mobile is really unfortunate.

Quote Originally Posted by Cloud View Post
    You must have come across a really badly designed mobile site then Rob, for a mobile site to be worse on a mobile than a desktop site on a mobile is really unfortunate.
    You tend to see some rather.... interesting sites working with tech support :)

All answers so far have been about why you wouldn't want to... But to answer the original question,

This is how I would go about it:

Make a copy of your full website without a mobile version and publish this to a subfolder.

Then link the view full website button on the mobile version to this copy.

Making a copy of the site would certainly work but make sure that the search engines cannot crawl that version as duplicate content is a no-no when it comes to seo - do that by amending the robots.txt file.

Quote Originally Posted by Cloud View Post
    steve is absolutely right. The whole point of a mobile version of your site is that it makes it perfect for viewing and navigating on a mobile device, so by adding a 'desktop' button is implying either that the desktop version is better and more user friendly than the mobile version or it contains something which the mobile version doesn't. Yes you might find some old sites (even from some big names) which do this whole 'visit desktop' version but believe me they are either in the process of changing that or they are completely wrong.
    I came across this topic via a search for this exact topic. I am surprised at the responses some have given that border on being rude and insulting. I don't see how anyone can tell another web designer they are completely wrong as a blanket statement.

This is actually something that DOES have it's place in the world even though you and some others don't think so. I have a General Contractor I do the website for and he wants lots of photos posted of his projects. There are pages and pages of his projects and some of them have 50-60+ photos p/ page. It would be very "unfriendly" to have all those photos on a mobile version of a site not to mention a nightmare for the person updating the site who has to add them in 2 different ways. In this instance having a note directing the visitor to go to the main site to see all of his project photos just make sense.

Not every website is suited for a mobile phone/device and that does not make the design of the site wrong. I do another site with a lot of slideshows for another client. They are big so they would take a long time to download on a phone plus they would be small and not as visually pleasing to view on a small device. Definitely another instance where going to the main site would be beneficial to the viewer.

I wish people could just answer the questions without all the commentary.

Quote Originally Posted by gsthunder View Post
    I came across this topic via a search for this exact topic. I am surprised at the responses some have given that border on being rude and insulting. I don't see how anyone can tell another web designer they are completely wrong as a blanket statement.

This is actually something that DOES have it's place in the world even though you and some others don't think so. I have a General Contractor I do the website for and he wants lots of photos posted of his projects. There are pages and pages of his projects and some of them have 50-60+ photos p/ page. It would be very "unfriendly" to have all those photos on a mobile version of a site not to mention a nightmare for the person updating the site who has to add them in 2 different ways. In this instance having a note directing the visitor to go to the main site to see all of his project photos just make sense.

Not every website is suited for a mobile phone/device and that does not make the design of the site wrong. I do another site with a lot of slideshows for another client. They are big so they would take a long time to download on a phone plus they would be small and not as visually pleasing to view on a small device. Definitely another instance where going to the main site would be beneficial to the viewer.

I wish people could just answer the questions without all the commentary.
    People have strong opinions and views on the internet and forums, sometimes you just need to filter what they are saying through how they are saying it.

Truthfully I like the idea of a desktop view button, especially if you have a big enough phone that can accommodate the desktop version comfortably but due to the way Xara works out what version to display, this isn't possible. There may be a work around through scripts etc but I haven't come up with one yet.