Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Shape Tool and Points

Quote Originally Posted by Fred C View Post
    Hi Gil,

Another way to solve it...

Attachment 108180
    +1
    This is the way I would do it, it's also very quick.

As a matter of interest only:

Although Fred's method creates a 'circle' it is not an exact circle. The shape is very circular but not a true circle. But then again neither is a circle created by the ellipse tool. To test this out zoom to 10%, create the largest circle you can which is still totally visible. I created on one 7000 x 7000 px. Now rotate it 22.5 degrees, it becomes 6997.9 x 6997.9, two pixels smaller, how can this be, shock, horror

Can anyone confirm my video is streaming. I can see it but several hours later Acorn cannot.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Yes, video works fine here Egg.

Note: Fred & I's method works fine here and produces a 100% perfect circle.
    But remember to use 'Radius' or 'Diameter' creation. NOT bounds.

This is the point I noted out of pure interest Steve, it doesn't create a perfect circle. Create a circle with the ellipse tool. size it to 300x300px. Create the circle via your quick shape tool method. set it to 300 x 300px. Select both and align together centrally. Zoom into top left side in wireframe, there is a gap. Not at the top, bottom, left or right sides but at the intermeadiate points nw, ne, se & sw.

So it creates a circle that for all intended use is a near enough circle, but not the perfect circle
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	circle-errors.png 
Views:	99 
Size:	9.3 KB 
ID:	108183  
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

OK yes, tiny little humps..
    But try 10 side.
    I get absolutely perfect circle

Yes, the more sides you use the less the bezier error is noticible. Do it with less, a square and notice the results.

Interestingly enough, Bezier curves can approximate a circle but not perfectly fit a circle.
    FROM http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1...%A9zier-curves

The only real world application I see this mattering in, but not a great deal is if you have contraint set to 45 degrees, holding down Ctrl, draw a line horizontal, at 45 degree restraint and then vertical. Change the 45 degree line to a curve with smooth join. This doesn't give a true circular corner. The rounded corner feature on a rectangle gives a far more accurate circular corners.
    Egg

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    My steps move a QuickShape into a Shape.
    Acorn
    If you clone (ctrl+k) the circle, change it to a 4 sided polygon, there is nothing to move. The 4 corners sit upon the circle. ctrl+1 simply then adds the 4 requisite points. Less effort.

Ed I could see your Tut. Thanks for that input. Fred, excellent idea, thanks. I want to thank everyone for the input..a great learning experience.
    Wichitaito: "Everything is Everything"