Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Shape Tool and Points

X10: Let's say I draw a circle, hit the Shape Tool and it gives me four points. Is there a way, maybe with the keyboard to create four more points evenly?
    Wichitaito: "Everything is Everything"

Default Re: Shape Tool and Points

I don't think there's a way to add the points the way you describe it, but I could be wrong since I have P&GD 2013
    One way I would do it is this:

1. Create a circle
    2. Clone the circle (Ctrl-k)
    3. Select the Quickshape tool and click on polygon and star (4 sides)
    4. The Star points should be right were you would add the points to the circle, if not, yull probably need to rotate it 45 degrees
    5. Convert the circle to shapes and click to add to points where 4 sides of the star meet the circle

If you mean you want to add nodes in between the existing nodes, it would be nice if like in some other applications there was an add node (point) which is customary for those applications to split the distance between the node clicked on and the next node.

But you can use the line tool to draw a vertical and a horizontal line, both longer than the circle. Group them. Rotate 45 degrees. Then select the circle, select the shape editor, click on the circle where the lines cross.

Thanks Mike,

That was my thought too.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Here is a construction you can play with:

With the Ellipse Tool, hold the Ctrl key down and with the Radius or Diameter constraint, draw a red 200 pt circle with zero rotation.
    Clone it and colour it green.
    With the green circle still selected, switch to the QuickShape Tool and select a Polygon with 8 straight sides.
    You should now have a green octogon sitting inside a red circle.

Click drag the centre point of one of the edges radially outwards so it touches the circle circumference.
    You should now have a green rounded QuckShape coincident with your red circle.

Delete the red circle.
    Clone the green shape.
    Use Combine Shapes > Add Shapes to get a final Shape with 8 control points that are equidistant and looks like a green circle.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

I've no idea why this works and just tried it as an experiment. However, strangely enough it does exactly what you require. Go figure

Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Here is a construction you can play with:

With the Ellipse Tool, hold the Ctrl key down and with the Radius or Diameter constraint, draw a red 200 pt circle with zero rotation.
    Clone it and colour it green.
    With the green circle still selected, switch to the QuickShape Tool and select a Polygon with 8 straight sides.
    You should now have a green octogon sitting inside a red circle.

Click drag the centre point of one of the edges radially outwards so it touches the circle circumference.
    You should now have a green rounded QuckShape coincident with your red circle.

Delete the red circle.
    Clone the green shape.
    Use Combine Shapes > Add Shapes to get a final Shape with 8 control points that are equidistant and looks like a green circle.

Acorn
    Do a four sided version. The points are in between the existing four points, for a total of 8 points, which is what Giddyup wanted in his OP. Then add shapes.

Egg, still cannot see your video. YouTube says it is still processing it.

***Edit to add. If the circle is cloned, then changed to a polygon, then to have four corners/sides, there is no need to drag nodes. It is aligned to the circumference of the circle.***

Hi Mike, I know. YouTube normally processes a video in a matter of a few minutes but today it's taking almost an hour for one I did earlier.

EDIT: Live now Mike
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Hi Gil,

Another way to solve it...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	eight.jpg 
Views:	310 
Size:	37.1 KB 
ID:	108180
    ~Fred

Quote Originally Posted by mwenz View Post
    Do a four sided version. The points are in between the existing four points, for a total of 8 points, which is what Giddyup wanted in his OP. Then add shapes.

Egg, still cannot see your video. YouTube says it is still processing it.

***Edit to add. If the circle is cloned, then changed to a polygon, then to have four corners/sides, there is no need to drag nodes. It is aligned to the circumference of the circle.***
    My steps move a QuickShape into a Shape.
    Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat