Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mouse over text

Default Mouse over text

Hi, I'm using WD11P and want to be able to hover over various sections of text on the page to create something like a pop up text box, that I see on various other websites. Anyway, I highlighted some text and then opened the Web Animations box (probably the wrong approach), and then tried pasting some text in the "Show pop up text (Title)" field. That seemed to work ok, except that when previewed or uploaded, the text box disappears after too short a period and also, the maximum amount of text is not sufficient for what I need. Can someone please steer me in the right direction? Thanks, Rikko
    Last edited by rikkoshea; 08 June 2015 at 06:57 AM.

Default Re: Mouse over text

Create a new layer - add a background rectangle and a text box with your text in. Turn off visibility of the layer. Link to the pop up layer not the (Title) field.
    Christine

Software: XDPX9, WD9,WD10,XDPX10,WD11,XDPX11,XDP365

Hi Christine, thanks for the information. However, can you kindly explain how I can create a new layer? When I open the Page & Layer Gallery (it either opens by default as you would know, or via the top menu, but makes no difference), it does not include the layer options? Only the page options are shown and have been struggling to work out why from the help pages etc? Is there a fault with my program installation or something else? Still confused, for now! Cheers, Rikko

Click on the small white triangle beside the page icon, this should open the layers. Click the new layer button at the top of the gallery. If this is not showing click the mouse off layer first.
    Christine

I don't know what I must be doing incorrectly, but there is no triangle, neither is their a mouse off layer option??? Are you able to show me the graphic that I am supposed to see?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Page and Layer Gallery 1.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	10.6 KB 
ID:	107908Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Page and Layer Gallery.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	32.9 KB 
ID:	107909

Hope this helps.
    Christine

Thanks Christine, "the penny has now dropped" ! Your patience appreciated....
    I'll see how I go with this project tomorrow! Cheers, Rikko...

"Create a new layer - add a background rectangle and a text box with your text in. Turn off visibility of the layer. Link to the pop up layer not the (Title) field."

Hi again Christine,

I have been struggling to get this to work properly - re your message quoted above, can you please explain how (and where) one should add a background rectangle? And is the text box created as a separate object and also where should this be placed? I've tried a variety of combinations with only partial success and I think I am making it more difficult and more cumbersome than it should be.

In essence, I wish to 'link' several, existing text areas on my webpage, so that a mouse-over (hover over) any of those text areas will cause a text box to pop-up, with different texts that are relevant to each instance.

Thanks again,
    Rikko

You will need to add a layer for each text area you want to show, when you have added the layer select it in the page and layer gallery and add a background rectangle where you want the text to show up, create a text box with your text in over this - you need the background rectangle to ensure the text shows properly. I've created a small file to show you.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Christine

Hi Christine, I've tried to follow what you said, but it doesn't seem to work well for me and is not very intuitive? (and your demo wouldn't work in my browser for some reason). Anyway, I have been hoping to create simple pop-ups that will show the text simply by hovering over the text areas as I see happens in many other websites, including the Xara forum pages listing the posts? My attempt only works when clicking the mouse on the relevant linked text area and is very messy to try and set up on the webpage as the text/rectangle areas all overlap in various ways while trying to design the page. I've uploaded the page on the web at: http://www.adelaidevncma.com/sermons2.htm in case you can spot my errors from that? Although I'm not usually a quitter, I may just have to give up on this? Cheers, Rikko