Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Alt Text for images

Is there some way to insert Alt Text - (in the standard meaning) that when the mouse hovers over an image, the text displays.
    I've tried inserting an image, then right clicking for Web Properties and Image. In the Image tab, there's "Image Caption (Alt Text)". I added text in this field, but when previewing there's no Alt Text appears on the browser page.
    Does WD10P have a different meaning to the Alt Text that I know from other web design programs?

Also I've noticed that when viewing a page in the browser, if I right click the image to see image properties - in a page designed in WD10P - there's no "View Image Info" appear regularly, it sometimes seems to show only the source code?
    I'm guessing this might be down to how I add an image and set the image properties, etc? So far I can't find anything in the WD10P help section, or in the video tutorials explaining this.

Default Re: Alt Text for images

I've got the same problem - the alt text doesn't show, but if I right click the image, I do see the image properties.
    I'm thinking the alt text is for Google search only?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	alt text.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	62.1 KB 
ID:	105590

Quote Originally Posted by Mac Hine View Post
    Is there some way to insert Alt Text - (in the standard meaning) that when the mouse hovers over an image, the text displays.
    I've tried inserting an image, then right clicking for Web Properties and Image. In the Image tab, there's "Image Caption (Alt Text)". I added text in this field, but when previewing there's no Alt Text appears on the browser page.
    Does WD10P have a different meaning to the Alt Text that I know from other web design programs?

Also I've noticed that when viewing a page in the browser, if I right click the image to see image properties - in a page designed in WD10P - there's no "View Image Info" appear regularly, it sometimes seems to show only the source code?
    I'm guessing this might be down to how I add an image and set the image properties, etc? So far I can't find anything in the WD10P help section, or in the video tutorials explaining this.
    ALT text is not the hover text (old vers of IE used it, but it was wrong to), you need the TITLE attribute for the browser hover popup text.

Web Properties>>Mouse-over [tab]>>Show pop-up text (Title)
    Don't forget to press 'Apply'

Quote Originally Posted by steve.ledger View Post
    ALT text is not the hover text (old vers of IE used it, but it was wrong to), you need the TITLE attribute for the browser hover popup text.

Hi Steve,
    Thanks very much for your reply on this.
    It seems that for years I've been labouring under a misapprehension about the name for this hover text!
    The software I used before would add the same text to both the Alt and Title tags. I mistakenly assumed it was the Alt tag that created the hover text.

Can you point me in the right direction regarding inserting/formatting images?
    See the attached file, the bottom pic of the smartphone with the small red border around it works with the hover text fine now.
    The guy reading a book in the image, it has no red border and the hover text doesn't work with that.
    What's the difference between the two types of image (what's that red border for?) and what do I set the top one as, rather than just "insert image from file".
    I notice with the top image, if I try to right click viewing in Firefox to “view image info”, that menu part is not displayed. Is that something to do with locking the page background?
    What am I missing here?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	redborder.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	34.9 KB 
ID:	105596

So is the alt text attribute for Google search only???

Quote Originally Posted by letsgofishing View Post
    So is the alt text attribute for Google search only???

No, it's nothing to do with SEO/search engines, according to this: http://www.quora.com/What-is-the-dif...-image-element it explains it in more detail.

(hope it's Ok to post a link to somewhere else?)

Quote Originally Posted by Mac Hine View Post
    No, it's nothing to do with SEO/search engines, according to this: http://www.quora.com/What-is-the-dif...-image-element it explains it in more detail.

(hope it's Ok to post a link to somewhere else?)
    Thanks for the link!

Alt text in my understanding is an alternative display so visitors who can't view images have an explanation of the images properties. It's not a mouse over function.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Yes, according to research it was originally devised for text readers.
    So ALT text should be use to describe the image, not as further information or caption..

Earlier in the year you explained how to get the hover text to appear (as above)

Now I've tried to do the same again, but I can't see any “mouse-over” tab in the web properties box. Where's it disappeared to? See the attached image. I'm using WD11P.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	missing-mouseover.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	131.4 KB 
ID:	107940