Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Mouse Over problems

I upgraded from a previous version of Xara WebDesign to version 9. Didn't actually use it since upgrading, but am now experiencing problems.
    I started with a new page 760x1250.
    Every page seems to have a very large white rectangle as the background. Due to this rectangle, I cannot rubberband around objects, since when I try to do so, the pointer moves the background. What's up?
    The Page/layer sidewindow (gallery) used to show exactly what is on each layer... in detail. Now there is no listing of items on the layer, all I get is a tiny miniature of the entire page/layer when I hover over the "3 stacked pages" icon to the left of the layer's name. What's up? How can I see what I am doing at a glance?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xara Knipsel.png 
Views:	253 
Size:	29.6 KB 
ID:	107999
    I cannot get MouseOver to work. I have a layer called MouseDown now, which I don't know what to do with. I figured out how to do MouseOver in the previous version, it was tricky, but eventually it made sense. Now, no matter what I do I cannot get it to work. In the software I used previously (not Xara) I could place 2 similar pictures on top of each other and then "mousing over" the picture would cause it to change. WD apparently only allows MouseOvers for items that have a link. So, I added a link to the MouseOver layer. Doesn't work. Previous webpages created with WD with MouseOvers work just fine. They look exactly like what I am trying to create. It used to be, when I copied a rectangle (to create a simple button - this is just an example mind you), I would select the MouseOver layer and paste it in place. Add a link and it worked. Not any more. First of all, you cannot see that the rectangle actually pasted, because it no longer appears under the MouseOver layer (again I can only see it on the tiny image of the entire page/layer.
    Soft grouping the two rectangles (or anything else for that matter) is impossible, because I cannot rubberband around the object to select them both.

Is there something wrong with my program. Is this improvement in the newer version?

Can somebody please either tell me what is wrong, or help me figure out how MouseOver works in WD9 step by step?

David
    The Netherlands
    Last edited by DBoydNL; 11 June 2015 at 02:16 PM. Reason: Changed notification option

Default Re: Mouse Over problems

One problem is the Page Background layer has been unlocked.

MouseOver effects do need some link or other. Normally, both items also need to be on MouseOff and mouseOver and Soft-grouped.

Sort the background and you'll be able to select both items to group.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Thanks for clarifying the background thing.
    I can now try soft grouping the items; see if that works.

The option to have a mouseover effect without a link, is not possible in WD, then?

What about the lack of information on the Layer overview screen, compared to how it was before? I followed a rather labouriously lengthy tutorial on Mouse Over State on YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sy9nX7cp7Yc) with WD7, which clearly showed what I am used to seeing. Every element on the layer shown in the overview window. Version 9 has been improved to no longer show that helpful information? Why?

David

Click the triangle beside the page icon in the page and layer gallery to open the layers.
    Christine

Software: XDPX9, WD9,WD10,XDPX10,WD11,XDPX11,XDP365

Sorry Christine,

That is not what I mean. I grabbed the screenshot from the YouTube video I mentioned earlier.

Name:	WD Knipsel.PNG 
Views:	208 
Size:	95.0 KB 
ID:	108046
    See how the rectangle group is shown on each layer in the Layer gallery? If I were to click on the triangle to the left of "Group" it further expands to show the content of the group. This is what I was used to from whatever version I used previous to updating to version 9 (I don't remember what version that was). No matter what I click on, I can't get the selected layer to expand to show its contents. I cannot see that not having (being able to see) all the elements on the layer in the gallery is an improvement, so I find it hard to imagine that this has actually been "programmed out" of the new version. Is there an option to turn this feature back on? Has Xara put it back in a subsequent version?

Huh, I just opened my website file in P&GD10 and that version DOES show all the elements in each layer in the gallery. So Xara programmed it OUT of WD9 (since 7 - that's what the guy in the video is using) but left in IN P&GD? Yes, I have both installed. I realize I can probably configure P&GD to have all the Web creation functions right there, but I like the ease of having that all right there when I open WD. Perhaps that is unnecessary, but I have all kinds of HD space to install software. But if WD9 is this "stripped down" from P&GD then perhaps I should just use P&GD? I don't use WD to upload files, only to create the webpages and then to export them as a website. In fact WD will not let export the webpages, I have to load the file into P&GD to do that anyway.

David
    Last edited by DBoydNL; 12 June 2015 at 08:32 AM. Reason: Added the "Huh" paragraph.

Unhappy Re: Mouse Over problems

Acorn and Christine,

So I am working with the file in P&GD10 now, but still can't get the MouseOver to work.

Name:	XARA Knipsel.PNG 
Views:	199 
Size:	39.6 KB 
ID:	108049
    I have two JPGs (David.jpg and David2.jpg). One is serious, the other smiling. I want the picture to smile at the user when he/she mouses over.
    I have linked the picture in the MouseOver layer to go to the current page
    I have soft grouped both pictures. BTW locking the layer PageBackground does not allow me to rubberband and select both pictures. I soft grouped them by selecting them in the Layer gallery.
    I moved the MouseOver layer to both above and below MouseOff. The result is the same: no mouseover changes. BTW the green buttons also do not mouseover, but I am using them as "Headers" not as buttons, so I don't actually care. The menu buttons DO work.
    I still don't know what the MouseDown layer is for; I don't remember seeing that in my previous version, nor does the video Tutorial (on WD7) say a thing about such a layer.

What I am doing wrong? Please be specific, since I obviously don't understand (I used to) or have totally messed up my page(s).

What layer should my text be in?

Additionally, I have added the Website button bar to my P&GD10 menu's, but it is missing the "Preview this page" button. Is there a way to get the full functionality of the Web Creation menu buttons that is standard in WD to show in P&GD10?

David

When the soft group is selected, open its Web Properties and in the Link tab for the Link to Web or Email address, add a #. Then press Apply or OK.

The MouseOver layer needs to be above the MouseOff layer. You must have flipped them as some point. Your screenshots in the first and fifth posts have them set up correctly.

Acorn
    Last edited by Acorn; 12 June 2015 at 11:44 AM.
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Cool,

Now it works. The problem was, that I could not select both pictures on the two layers to make a Soft group.

Stil have no answers to my other questions.

Thanks.

David

PS: I see the Reply with quote button on this site, where is the simple Reply button?