Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Default Re: First-Ever Organzied Chaotic Free-For-All Competition/Collaboration

Quote Originally Posted by iamtheblues View Post
    Rik, I took the coward's way out and just emptied the bottle!
    Edit; looking at the file sizes of the 2 graphics I uploaded, it would seem that the bottle originally contained 8kb of liquid.
    Bob.
    Noooooooo!
    You can easily fill it with fluid, Bob.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bob's bottle.png 
Views:	497 
Size:	51.7 KB 
ID:	108059  

Featured Artist on Xara Xone . May 2011
    . A Shield . My First Tutorial
    . Bottle Cap . My Second Tutorial on Xara Xone

I don't know how to say this without ticking anyone/everyone off, so here goes anyhow:

1. Take your time and think through the representation of infinity. Treat this like a 5 course banquet and not a mid-term exam you really, really want to get done. If this assignment doesn't tickle, wait a few weeks and Rik or I will present a different challenge.

I chose Infinity because I'd never tried it before, and thought it might be of general interest.

2. Show works in progress!

3. Is this the Infinity you're looking for? Have you stretched beyond your drawing style of yesterday? The way you considered drawing an intangible thing yesterday?

Why is almost everyone centering and framing their depiction of "Infinity" in the dead center of a drawing page?

Handrawn has hidden part of his view, and thus creates an incomplete picture of his vision of Infinity. Now PLEASE don't re-crop your work as a literal endorsement of what Steve James did: he presented us with both a solution and a piece or artwork.

Okay, here's an example of a useful attitude to take: everyone saw the first The Matrix, right? The one out of three that didn't suck? What did Morpheus tell Neo on top of the building?

"Free your mind."

Take chances. Aim for the impossible.

Make your vision of infinity unlike the stuff you've done before in Xara.

This isn't about Xara.

From the first day The Xara Group handed me the keys to the Xara Xone and told me to drive carefully, the message has been about creating Art, and the tools you use are in Xara.

Separate your tools from your ideas, and you'll find it takes longer to do something you're happy with, but in the end (um, okay, infinity is never-ending, but) you'll have done something new and you'll have enjoyed the experience as much as your audience.

Larry, you win second prize so far, because you deliberately left your drawing in a mystical, almost unfinished, 2001: A Space Odyssey monolith sort of condition.
    I learned more about you, the artist, than you, your talent.

Am I leading anyone in a different direction now?

Or even farther down a path of the same direction??

Replies with no art attached are welcome. Let's do some "art" using text this afternoon, okay?

-g

Quote Originally Posted by Psaumure View Post
    Here are three that I put together. I have attached a file if anyone would like to play with it.
    Click here to see Paul's first three submissions.

I really like your first one, Paul. Do you need a title in text? Perhaps text along the path? What font do we use for infinity?!

You are a World Class artist and I'm trying to make you uncomfortable and a little unhappy with the art you submitted.

I think you have one idea here spread across three canvases. How can you combine the best of all three executions?

(an execution isn't what you'd think, not in art terms. In formal studies of art, you'd have a concept=which is the idea, and then the execution, which is how you expressed the idea...color, media, and so on)

I'd be very thrilled if you became a Galaxy-Class artist while I was watching and critiquing your work!

-g

Quote Originally Posted by iamtheblues View Post
    Here's a Klein bottle I drew one Christmas a good few years ago now. I revisited the original and ironed out a few creases and thought I'd post it again.
    Bob.
    It's very clean, Bob, I like it.

Now, do you see Infinity as green and red, or is from the Christmas post?

Take your time. I value your talent and would like to see you value some new work.

But only in the Infinity assignment is interesting enough for you.

Hopefully, I'll still have some friends after this thread,

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Gare, a Möbius strip is possible in 3D, perhaps you meant 2D?
    Our 4D is 3D+time: space-time. Mathematical 4D is different, and in that, a Klein bottle comfortably sits.

Attachment 108050
    I'v always wanted a Koch Snowflake, but ever time i print one and try to cut it out christmas has passed.
    The perimeter is infinite, the area is finite.

Acorn
    Acorn, you're infinitely more intelligent than I am when it comes to those things Quantum in Mechanics!

I'm very glad you chose a fractal for an expression of Infinity, because fractals can indefinitely recurse. Some have terms, but mostly they done (he says in math terms Gary doesn't quite understand).

Now, the Art side of this assignment? Is pale blue your best impression of the Infinite? How about the cropping or even multiple universes here? Do you want to add drama (why not?) to crop away some of the flake so it's not possible for mortals to view the whole of it (hint: you might).

I think you're good, acorn.

But I don't think you're done with this.

Mmmm?

Thanks for coming to play, man.

Gary

while i'm still trying to come up with something specifically for this challenge, i had a little bit of free time today and played with a mobius/penrose triangle from a bigger project that i played with a few months ago.
    trying not to take the challenge too literally and obvious is tough (at least for me)

Hi Gare,
    So far I haven't come up with anything unique to illustrate the concept of infinity that hasn't already been done...ad finitum through symbols. There's a great deal of speculation involved, or faith, or whatever you'd like to consider, in the idea of infinity and/or eternity. Is it real or is it Memorex? Is it something measurable/testable? Is it just a thought? If you believe in eternity and the infinite then what does it look like? What does it feel like?

Or...is it as one philosopher stated, " You may think about it, but you will never realize it". I need a great deal more time to consider the possibilities....for the possibilities are endless, but not the probabilities (for me at least).
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do, so throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover."
    -Mark Twain

'Infinity' and 'Eternity' are both concepts.
    One is predominantly used in Mathematics and Physics, and the other is predominantly used in Religion.

Mikey's impossible triangle (beautifully animated) is shown that it goes on for ever into the distance - infinity.
    If TalkGraphics, as a forum stays for ever, and no-one removes Mikey's drawing - eternity.

Gare. For me infinity is synonymous with eternity. Without measure of time. To me, God's love represents that. Eternal love... I'm not trying to preach, but that's what I believe. I think this picture represents that to me. Gare, you also mentioned that You would like to see something with text to path, so I added a second one with more of that style for you. To me, they both represented the same thing. You pick which one works best for you. Note, I'm not trying to push anything on anyone. This is what moves me.

Name:	love.jpg 
Views:	485 
Size:	66.8 KB 
ID:	108079   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hope heart.jpg 
Views:	494 
Size:	81.9 KB 
ID:	108080  

Last edited by Psaumure; 13 June 2015 at 09:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gare View Post
    Just a thought, csehz: how about a visual progression, a series of infinite signs that eventually morph into a heart?

-g
    How about this?

Name:	infinity-to-heart.jpg 
Views:	506 
Size:	15.0 KB 
ID:	108081