Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1119202122 LastLast

Default Re: First-Ever Organzied Chaotic Free-For-All Competition/Collaboration

Quote Originally Posted by Psaumure View Post
    Excellent job Stygg. You put a lot of work into that. I draw everything with a mouse, that is to much detail work for me. Just a suggestion, you may want to add some solid highlight reflections. Both light and dark to create reflection and light direction. Remember, when the light source hits on one side, It's going to be dark on the other. Here's a sample. I just added three highlights to your image.

I don't think anyone is in competition here. We are all just having fun. At least I am. I'm enjoying the things that you have been posting. You are doing some nice work. keep them coming.

Thank you Stygg for you comments on my work. I always appreciate what you have to say.

Paul
    Thanks for the highlights Paul, will keep them in mind, just finished the sphere and its base now so now on to the next phase and there's a few phases to go. I also just use the mouse but I was determined to have ago at this so will carry on. When it's complete will ask you for your opinion on some more imput on highlights, if that's ok. So here's phase 1 Paul. The reason I like to do this sort of work is because I can see all the shapes, fills and colours that make up an image and that for me is learning how to eventually draw one myself from scratch so to speak, got to start from the start

Stygg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Phase 1.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	19.4 KB 
ID:	108597  
    Last edited by stygg2003; 02 July 2015 at 03:16 PM.

Well, stygg, you worked some more and made my post largely unnecessary here!

What I've done below (and you've done better) is to balance a shadow (opposite of the highlight), with specular reflectance. You can halve both, but neither one at 100% works, in photorealism.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	spec+shadow.jpg 
Views:	207 
Size:	27.2 KB 
ID:	108600

Does this reveal anything?

My Best,

Gary

Thank you Rik. Here is another one to go with your, "To infinity and beyond" theme.
    Like stygg said, that's a great piece of work.
    Purple is not one of my favourite colours, but, it really works well in the combination you've chosen.

Featured Artist on Xara Xone . May 2011
    . A Shield . My First Tutorial
    . Bottle Cap . My Second Tutorial on Xara Xone

Thank you Rik. Here is another one to go with your, "To infinity and beyond" theme.
    Name:  small-infinity.jpg
Views: 538
Size:  8.1 KB

Paul, I'd like to see some more work on this piece. To which you're free to replay, "Stick it, Bouton."

I'm not "getting" a visual cue as to what type of material the purple spheres are made of. Usually, you post stuff whose surface is so well defined, it's photorealistic.

Please take another look at this piece; actually what might be neat is masking the background with a linear mask, and then blurring only the background to suggest that there's an infinite number of spheres and the Mind's Camera can only take in so many.

Just a thought.

My Best,

Gary

Thank you for the incentive Gary. This was something quick and fun to post on this infinity thread. This thread moves to fast to put a lot of time on one thing. I learned that the hard way when I drew Buzz light year. I have a few other things that I promise to do a little more focused on the details. I was playing with perspective when I started this and I really didn't know where I was going with it. The colors seemed to work well, so I decided to post it. Maybe I will give it a redo when i'm done with the bigger projects.

Thank you Rik for your comments. I'm not real big on working with these Colors either, but this one seemed to work out well.

Paul, you're a breath of fresh air around here. Some people around here have in their own personal INI file:

IfGaryComments, GetDefensive=1

Bring it, Paul...

...and happy 239th Birthday, America!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fireworks.jpg 
Views:	197 
Size:	35.4 KB 
ID:	108638

-g

Finally got round to completing Gary's pawn+rook image. I've not put any highlights in the drawing as the point of drawing the pawn was to see if I could re-produce it as near as I could to Gary's original, plus the fact that I was intrigued by all the shapes that made up the whole, some you can barely see. I had no idea of how to go about drawing such an image from scratch but I have a better understanding of how to now. It's not perfect but was well worth doing.

Stygg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pawn+rook+pawn.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	48.5 KB 
ID:	108703  

There is never any reason why you'd do a drawing without reference, stygg. Is it a competition to see how good you can draw with both arms tied behind your back? Norman Rockwell, one of the world's greatest people/photorealism painter, hired models and he'd photograph them. His finished paintings looked in areas identical to the photos.

By the way, stygg, you were a little too literal. I messed up the roundness of the pawn's head—don't do like me!

What you did is fantastic and you even corrected my lousy inaccurate shadow!

+10!

-g

Very well done Stygg. You look like you mastered it. It's all small reflections that make up the whole. The trick is seeing them in an image when you draw. Thats all that I do. The reflections I added are a choice to give it more of a glass look. To see them, just look at glass, chrome, shiny cars, anything with the reflection. You will see all the little pieces that make the image. If you zoom in enough, you can draw anything. Again, you did an excellent job. Put in your art gallery my friend.

Paul

Thank you very much Gary and Paul for your kind comments and helpful feedback, I appreciate it very much. With regard the zoom Paul, yes most of the time was zoomed at 1000 to see the dark, small shapes but if you leave them out the image does not look the same. Gary you must have a great eye and perception to include all the small shapes in your original.

Stygg