Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anchors

Default Anchors

Hi. I have a weather widget at the bottom of a page of a holiday site I am designing. I selected the widget and gave it a name to anchor to. This didn't work. To get round this, I had to add a page divider graphic above the widget and named that instead, which worked ok. Am I doing something wrong, or can I not anchor a widget?

Default Re: Anchors

Works fine here. See attached file.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hi Steve,
    Thanks for your example, that works fine. Must be something I have done wrong! If I can reproduce my problem I will post a file. Thanks again, Brian

Hi again Steve, I can reproduce this. Please see attached. Cheers, Brian
    anchored-widget-1.xar

Quote Originally Posted by camelot View Post
    Hi again Steve, I can reproduce this. Please see attached. Cheers, Brian
    anchored-widget-1.xar
    You haven't given a filename to your second page.
    Web Properties > Page: Page filename is current blank.

And Sunny in Bude,
    Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Hi Acorn, yes beautiful day here! Thanks for your reply.
    The page isn't named, but that did not make any difference. Using Steve's widget worked, my widget doesn't!
    Cheers, Brian

You failed to tell me you were trying to link to an anchor on another page!?

Please be accurate when asking for help, it helps us help you

Acorn is correct, you have not named the page.
    Name the 2nd page page2.html (for example) then change the link on the first plage to page2.html#weather

Then it will work.
    See attached,
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hi Steve, thank you for your reply. I apologise for not being accurate in the description of my fault, I will be more careful in future!
    I don't wish to take up too much of your time, but I have a couple of observations here:
    1/ it is not necessary to state which page you want to jump to - as long as the anchor has a unique name.
    2/ I attached your first file in my last reply after adding an un-named page and placing your widget at the bottom - this worked fine. I then replaced your weather widget with mine. It didn't work. As you can see from the second file you attached, it jumps to the un-named page 2, but not to the widget!
    Anyway, I have got round the problem by adding a page element to anchor to.
    Thanks for all your help, this is a great forum. Hopefully I will not have to ask too many more questions!
    Cheers, Brian

Brian, Steve and I both found an anomaly in your attachment. Steve suggested naming it using a page filename and anchor combination, and I, a straight anchor once the page had a name.
    The problem you have is that the IFRAME and its anchor do not exist on the second page until it is rendered and the Document Object Model (DOM) is complete. That is why it only jumps to the page and not the anchor.
    This relies on the whim of the browser developer of each variant so the behaviour now, in the past and the future, cannot be guaranteed.

As you have found you need another established object to be the anchor.
    I would put it underneath the widget.

By chance, the xara coders have trapped pages without filenames and create one for you; here it happens to be index_2.
    I would suggest that allowing someone else to name something you control and publish will lead to rework difficulties later on.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by camelot View Post
    work. As you can see from the second file you attached, it jumps to the un-named page 2, but not to the widget!
    Sorry, I attached the wrong file (was in a hurry to eat dinner).
    The method I described works 100%.
    It's always necessary to define the pagename.html#anchor name in HTML, always.
    Xara can make this distinction when generating the HTML but you MUST name the page.
    I like to do it manually in the link field - old habits but it works.

You can see it working for yourself here:
    http://xara-users.magix.net/public/anchor2page/