Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Default Re: Would like My Logo to be 3D But not Working out

So of course I loaded my Linotronic version of the font. Works great in, well, everyone except XDP. You see, there is no "regular" varient. There is Light, Demi and Bold variants. Which means that XDP doesn't see the light varient. Of course, that's the weight used in the logo. Oh, and in XDP there is no difference between the demi and bold varient either.

While I am not expecting great things in version 11, at least having a minor overhaul to the font system would be good. I mean, I don't think it's asking too much just to even use my fonts properly. And I'm not even talking about having acess to OT features here, just accessing the dang things.

Quote Originally Posted by mwenz View Post
    Ah, yes, Peignot. So overused back in the 1990s I must have blocked it from my mind! Well, perhaps. Else I was too lazy to search my database...and it is one of the only lazy Saturdays I have had for a while.

Mike
    That's interesting to know that it's Peignot.
    But, I don't know what the designer did in the original design?

If I try Peignot, then it's too thin, and if I try Peignot Demi, then that too fat.

Featured Artist on Xara Xone . May 2011
    . A Shield . My First Tutorial
    . Bottle Cap . My Second Tutorial on Xara Xone

Quote Originally Posted by Rik View Post

If I try Peignot, then it's too thin, and if I try Peignot Demi, then that too fat.
    It isn't a perfect match. I suppose CD still has the Penguin rip-off but I'm not going to hunt it down, install it, and check it against the bitmap. A quickie Google search finds a bunch of redrawn, ripp-offs and other variants--but variants from what foundry/version I don't know without downloading and opening them up (and likely some have that info stripped anyway).

Type is the one thing I would always replace in a redraw if at all possible. And here with this logo, if I were redoing it, I would likely use Peignot and "sell" the swap to the client. I also didn't overlay Bank Gothic. There were a few (maybe 4) major foundries that had versions at one time. If I had to purchase it again or needed updated, wider number of variants int he family, I would pick up FontHaus' redrawn and expanded versions.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    As peeps seemed to like the creating a star video I thought I'd take it to the next step, using the vectors to create the 3D effect and the difference between Xara Designer / Web Designers 3D effect and that offered by Xara 3D Maker 7.

I just watched this video and I'm wondering what kind of issue or what was giving you a hard with the star logo colors, as of now I do not have Xara 3D 7 but if does a better job as I seen in the video, I just drop a duckets to get.

Again another great video, thank you for showing what you were able to do. Also I was wondering what if each letter was done separately and then use the light tool to change the way 3D text looks and you might not have the effects as you stated.

SgtDre

Quote Originally Posted by Rik View Post

In my OP, I did not upload the file types ie: .ai and .eps as I did not think they were relevant to my original question, for the fee that I was charged to redesign the entire logo It included several file types and the only files I uploaded were the .psd and the image of the mockup. I was even given a pdf version for some reason.

But you would like me to upload the .ai and .eps files let me know, I make the statement and ask only for the reason is that it seems like this Star Logo has sparked a healthy conversation that I did not expect and a lot of ideas are being floated around.

SgtDre

No need that I can think of to upload the vector versions. There is no reason to redraw the logo at all. You should at least be able to open the PDF version and do with it as you want. Including the 3D stuff--at least if the 3D stuff is available in your versions. Guess I should have read the first post better than I did!

Mike

Post Re: Would like My Logo to be 3D But not Working out

Quote Originally Posted by mwenz View Post
    No need that I can think of to upload the vector versions. There is no reason to redraw the logo at all. You should at least be able to open the PDF version and do with it as you want. Including the 3D stuff--at least if the 3D stuff is available in your versions. Guess I should have read the first post better than I did!

Mike
    First things first, Thank you Mike for your reply and info. I also want to thank all who have assisted and guided me on this project, I appreciate it very much, I also want apologize for this late reply, I have been busy trying to get other things done as well.

With all that said, I have been able get this project completed to a point that I either just forgo the 3D version and just stay with the 2D version, or use the 3D tool in Xara Photo & Graphic Designer 10 and add a few light effects to it.

I have tried to duplicate what egg did in the one video using Xara 3D Maker 7, and I have had no Joy. everything is all one color.

I tried
    Copy and paste in to Xara 3D Maker 7 with no luck.
    Import .xar & .png as well as .jpg & .web file formats with no luck.

For anyone that would like to see what I have done, I applied an opacity mask and clipped the image to some of the Text with a picture of a sheet of aluminum that has been sand blasted, I did this to give it a somewhat metal look to it. But it's not showing up in the PNG image, at least I can't see it. As it is right now it's 2D, I also attached the 3D version of the Star I made after watching the video Egg made. I t was a great help again thank you.
    RWB_Lone Star_CCLLCv5.xarClick image for larger version. 

Name:	RWB_Lone Star_CCLLCv5.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	19.1 KB 
ID:	108215RWB_Lone Star_V2.xar

Make the logo in Designer Pro. You could use any of the Xara drawing products to create the logo.
    Save it as a .png image with transparent background.

Copy and paste the logo from Designer, into Xara 3D maker 7.
    Having done that, go to 'Texture Options' and put a tick in the box for 'Texture'.
    A window will open automatically.
    Now navigate to where you saved the .png image.
    Select it and click on 'Open.

Hey presto!
    All you have to do now, is to adjust the lights, and the angles, and the extrusion etc...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3D7.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	66.1 KB 
ID:	108248  

Featured Artist on Xara Xone . May 2011
    . A Shield . My First Tutorial
    . Bottle Cap . My Second Tutorial on Xara Xone

I know I'm coming late to the party, but Peignot is one of the cleverest and attractive fronts that has been aruond since 1034 and was digitzed by Lino and Bitstream in around 1988.

Fashions have revivals avery 30 years or so, and so do musicals. Fonts fall out of favor, they come back in when an intelligent and tasteful art director sees it's not being used now, but it's high time.

My best information, for the best, street legal typefaces, there are only three weights:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	peignot.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	63.7 KB 
ID:	108275

No italic versions but you sometimes get away with a synthesized oblique font and if you need something in-between Light and DEmi, you can either take a $100 Font program from Font Lab caled the um...Type tool, and syntheze a "Narmal font from the Light one. This takes talent and patience. The other kludge is to use the Contour tool on the Demi weight so one Contour step with squared off edges, matches you ideal weight. Only goo for headline though, I'd think. You do NOT want to go writing paragraphs with Countoured shapes.

You ight as well but a page of Lettreset.

My Best,

Gary

KILLER TIP: When Xara 3D, like most modeling programs, extrudes a font, when you add a bevel it does so from the inside out, so in effect the font is a little fatter than before the extrude. To the best of my knowledge, CorelDRAW is one of the few progras that lets you put a stroke behind a fill and it remains slightly smaller. I guess Illy does that too, but that's not the point for extruding.

Hope this helps,

Gary