Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Xara incredibly slow on inserting links and text.

So another question I have been wondering about. I have 5 different websites so far that I have made with xara web designer. First 4 were made with versions 7,8 and 9. Latest one was made with version 10 (premium). It is extremely slow in 3 areas
    1. Inserting or editing links. Can take 1-2 mins for the web properties box to appear.
    2. Adding new text (but pasting copied text is quick)
    3. Exporting website

Website url is http:skipackagesjapan.com. It is a relatively large website with 136 pages (but many of them low on content).
    My computer is a 64bit operating system with 8gb of ram and a i5 processor. It has only used 20% of hard drive memory.
    Making changes to the other websites is super quick. It is just the new one that is slow. I am wondering if there is an element of the website (such as the slideshow on the homepage) that causes it to slow down? Even with all other programmes closed it is still very slow and causes high cpu usage and uses most of the physical memory .

Any ideas you have would be welcome.....

Default Re: Xara incredibly slow on inserting links and text.

Welcome to TalkGraphics

Your post was moderated because normally brand new members are not permitted links.

The most common culpret in cases like this is the images. Have you Optimized your images? Utilities > Optimize all Images. If you are using the Retina display option which also creates two versions of every image, one at 96dpi and one, I believe, at 192dpi. So if you have not done so, optimize your images to 192 or 96.

Also, sometimes it is helpfull to create your site in sections and publish to separate folders using the actually physical page address for your links. This old Workbook article is a little out of date but the basics are the same http://www.xaraxone.com/webxealot/wo...kbook%201.html

Is it then possible to test the site on your computer before publishing, if the links refer to the online version?

I have a site with 133 pages but virtually no graphics (except in the site theme) and Xara takes ages to recover each time I type one character. Is that what you would expect?

Thanks very much for your help.

Is it then possible to test the site on your computer before publishing, if the links refer to the online version?
    Yes, this should be okay

..... and Xara takes ages to recover each time I type one character. Is that what you would expect?
    Not at all. Have you tried Garys suggestion above re running as administrator?
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Hi Egg. Thank you for replying.

I apologise for being somewhat confused - maybe just my inexperience.

Because Xara had slowed to a crawl, I have been following the "create your site in sections" advice above. I just cannot see how I can test it on my computer, before publishing it, if the links refer to the eventual URL. Let's suppose a site hasn't yet been published for the first time. If I export it to my computer, with sections in different folders, how will my browser find the various pages if the link refers to a URL that doesn't yet exist?

I have also searched the page with this question on it and cannot find anything about running as administrator.

Again, my apologies. I'm sure it will be very simple.

Info Re: Xara incredibly slow on inserting links and text.

1. If you have a Taskbar icon for Xara, right-click that and against the application right-click that and Run as administrator.
    2. If you type xara into Search Windows then right-click the found application and right-click that and Run as administrator.
    3. If you have a Desktop icon, right-click and Run as administrator.
    4. If you go all the way to your install directory, find the executable and right-click that and Run as administrator. (C:\Program Files\Xara\Xara Designer Pro X\12)

If the above fails, unplug everything you can think of, noting what does what for re-assembly, and retry Xara. It sounds like some DLL conflict.

Acorn

P.S. If you can find any other arcane methods, report back and I'll add them.
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Hi. Thank you for your help.

I clearly have a problem :-). I have run as administrator but typing text from a single character up to half a line, means that I see the "I am busy" circle for anything from over a minute up to 2 minutes 36 seconds. Obviously, this is making Xara unusable.

Which leads to my next ignorant question. What does "unplug everything you can think of" mean? Do you mean the plug-ins within Xara or other things on my computer? In either case, how do I do that? Assuming you meant within Xara, I have Googled it but not found anything.

Sorry to be troubling you with my problems. I am assuming now that this is a problem not just a consequence of a large website.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterC View Post
    Hi. Thank you for your help.
    I clearly have a problem :-). I have run as administrator but typing text from a single character up to half a line, means that I see the "I am busy" circle for anything from over a minute up to 2 minutes 36 seconds. Obviously, this is making Xara unusable.
    Which leads to my next ignorant question. What does "unplug everything you can think of" mean? Do you mean the plug-ins within Xara or other things on my computer? In either case, how do I do that? Assuming you meant within Xara, I have Googled it but not found anything.
    Sorry to be troubling you with my problems. I am assuming now that this is a problem not just a consequence of a large website.
    I was suggesting a physical analogy. Remove unneeded applications and free up enough memory (which you would seem to have enough) and unplug actual devices to see if these cause a conflict.
    You could probably do the same by starting in Safe Mode.

All assume you have powered down and back up again since any major system of application update.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

I also assume you have not uninstalled your earlier xara versions.

Do these also run slow?

You could try and open the current design in one of these as well (ignore the errors about a newer version) just to check their performance.

Acorn

Peter,

Another thing you can try is to run Windows Task Manager to help see what is causing all the problems. Look at your CPU usage and see what it goes to when you are using Xara. Next ,under the process tab, look and see if you see something using a lot of memory. Some procces at pretty straight forward as to what they are for, others not so much. What I then do is perform a Google search for the process and see if it gives me an idea of what it is for. You may have had some software updated recently and there could be some conflicts. You can try stopping the process and see if this helps but be warned some process are for running Windows and the computer can hang up.

Ray